Slow play again

sunshine

Visit site
It’s not the case at all apart from exceptional circumstances.

6 hours is probably standard if you only play driving a buggy when it’s cart path only, listening to music on your speakers, cool box full of beers, filming everything for your social media accounts.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's absolutely fine as long as you are not holding up others. As soon as you do that, you are the problem and you either need to play faster or keep letting people through.
Who decides the faster group is right and the slower group is wrong ?
Faster players have no divine right to impose their speed on slower players.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our expected maximum time for a 4 ball is 3.5 hours on our 18 hole course.

It is on the card but judging by a lot of comments and question I suspect very few read the rules on the card anyway.

Mandofred

Visit site
Who decides the faster group is right and the slower group is wrong ?
Faster players have no devine right to impose their speed on slower players.
The club can make this decision. In most cases...clubs have posted recommended times for play. If you go down that route of "who" decides what you have to do....Who decides how fast you drive?, how much you can drink and drive?, whether you can walk down the street naked..... Somebody/group makes those decisions, and nobody wants to see me walking naked down the street. The club gets to make these decisions....if you don't like those rules, join another club or stop playing. You are not MADE to play....you CHOOSE to play. Follow the club rules or go bother the lawn bowling association (edit: I've nothing against lawn bowling).

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily.

It would be wrong to ask everyone to play at the speed of the slowest players, so having a slow group tee off first in the monthly medal would be a nightmare.
The solution is simple.
Don't have slow players going out early.
This discussion has been had 100 times. I agree. You just need the slowest players to acknowledge this and go out last. When that doesn't happen......... it's when the problems start.

I'm not asking people to run around, just have courtesy and not hold up the course. Play at a slow pace if that's what you want. Just don't impact those around you.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The club can make this decision. In most cases...clubs have posted recommended times for play. If you go down that route of "who" decides what you have to do....Who decides how fast you drive?, how much you can drink and drive?, whether you can walk down the street naked..... Somebody/group makes those decisions, and nobody wants to see me walking naked down the street. The club gets to make these decisions....if you don't like those rules, join another club or stop playing. You are not MADE to play....you CHOOSE to play. Follow the club rules or go bother the lawn bowling association (edit: I've nothing against lawn bowling).
Clubs are members. Slow play has been a very one sided debate, with faster players assuming a righteous position that slow players bad, faster players good. They have pushed their agenda, for golf as they way they want it played. Its time slower players were treated as equals, and not as paraiahs, and they are not a problem to be solved. Golf has slowed down. Accept it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This discussion has been had 100 times. I agree. You just need the slowest players to acknowledge this and go out last. When that doesn't happen......... it's when the problems start.

I'm not asking people to run around, just have courtesy and not hold up the course. Play at a slow pace if that's what you want. Just don't impact those around you.
This is a fast players perspective.

Asking slower players to go out last would be impacting THEM.
Why is it not equally courteous to accept some people will play slower than you, withou moaning about them, pushing them on with signs, timers, etc, ? Accept that it is a perfectly reasonable way to play golf also ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can see the scenario...
Hello, we'd love you to join...that'll be £2k ..thank you...
By the way.....you're a slow player so you can't play before 9.30....

What happened to good old fashioned play at your pace and if a faster group comes up behind you..let them through...

This is not a difficult

Rusty Bucket

Visit site
I know we had a couple of threads last year but I couldn't be bothered to resurrect them.

Our management has decided to give all members - free - one of these timers used at Woodhall Spa.

They are pre-set for 3 minutes at which time an alarm sounds.

Chances of success in helping with slow play?
We are currently trying to look at ways to speed up play so that the competition rounds are completed in a reasonable time. We have concerns about the tee time intervals which are 8 minutes for two, three and four balls, despite it being previously identified that by adopting 10 minute tee time intervals for three balls actually improved the round completion times and reduced the frustration surrounded with slow play. We are also going to monitor competition round completion times by asking the members to put the time that they finish their round next to their signature in the scorecard that for obvious reasons might be unpopular with some, however it will enable us to monitor the situation using accurate information. Hopefully the exercise will allow us to calculate and advise members of what a reasonable average time to complete the 18 holes should be. Golf is not a race or a crawl but players need to play their part and think of others enjoyment of our wonderful game. If anyone is interested I will share news of our progress or not whatever the case maybe !! I will discuss the three minute alarm idea with the committee