Slow play…….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The point of this thread wasn’t to highlight every reason of slow play but more so to highlight the modern need to track scores on every single round even in bounce games, this simply wasn’t the done thing in my yoof!

With the new fashion being general play rounds via the EG app, this potentially stands to get worse (IMO)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some club pros have a hand in the delays. I remember many years ago having a lesson and being chastised for not having a pre shot routine and then spent an age teaching me an overly long, exagerated routine. Same with a putting lesson, the amount of time that the pro wanted me to take over even the shortest putt was embarassing.
I actually think I should take longer over shots sometimes, especially putts. The amount of time I hit one short and then think "of course it's uphill, why didn't you hit it harder?" But like you I can't really bring myself to take any longer than it takes to have one look, one quick practise swing and then hit it.

The point of this thread wasn’t to highlight every reason of slow play but more so to highlight the modern need to track scores on every single round even in bounce games, this simply wasn’t the done thing in my yoof!

With the new fashion being general play rounds via the EG app, this potentially stands to get worse (IMO)
I have always kept score while playing. The goal is to get round in the least number of shots, so if I don't keep count of the shots, what's the point of playing?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have always kept score while playing. The goal is to get round in the least number of shots, so if I don't keep count of the shots, what's the point of playing?

I’ll take a wild stab in the dark…. To have a giggle with three pals?

I don’t need a score card to know if I’ve putted well, hit the ball well or generally hacked, I just need 3-4hours of banter and ribbing to enjoy a Sunday morning.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don’t need a score card to know if I’ve putted well, hit the ball well or generally hacked, I just need 3-4hours of banter and ribbing to enjoy a Sunday morning.
Well we do that as well. But it's like having a kickabout with your mates - you still count the goals and know who's won. If you have a game of tennis you don't just pat the ball back and forth, you play for points. I just feel it's fundamental to any sport to have a slight competitive element, even if it's only with yourself. If I'm not trying to make a good score then it's just practise I guess, but I wouldn't do a full 18 hole round as practise. If you're not trying to make a decent score then you're not really playing golf you're just whacking a ball around. Just my view on it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well we do that as well. But it's like having a kickabout with your mates - you still count the goals and know who's won. If you have a game of tennis you don't just pat the ball back and forth, you play for points. I just feel it's fundamental to any sport to have a slight competitive element, even if it's only with yourself. If I'm not trying to make a good score then it's just practise I guess, but I wouldn't do a full 18 hole round as practise. If you're not trying to make a decent score then you're not really playing golf you're just whacking a ball around. Just my view on it.

My biggest incentive is beating my opponents, whether that’s my trouble against his triple/no score or my birdie against his par.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My biggest incentive is beating my opponents, whether that’s my trouble against his triple/no score or my birdie against his par.
I suppose, but I also want to beat or at least match my best scores as a sign of progress I suppose. My goal at the moment for example is to keep breaking 80, so if I do that I'm happy. If I played well but didn't exactly know if I shot 79 or 81 that would niggle at me. I like to know things. :LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Some of the slowest rounds I've caddied in this year have been guys that rigidly kept score, not given tap in putts, or picked up after they are out the hole. One group who were all doctors from the US took almost 6 hours off the silver tees, which are barely over 5000 yards. They even still putted out for a teen score on a hole.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of the slowest rounds I've caddied in this year have been guys that rigidly kept score, not given tap in putts, or picked up after they are out the hole. One group who were all doctors from the US took almost 6 hours off the silver tees, which are barely over 5000 yards. They even still putted out for a teen score on a hole.
That's strange because my perception of American golfer is that they'll hack it round, take 3 mulligans and pick it up from 10 feet and write down a par. :LOL:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Did you not get the memo saying golf isn’t fun if you are putting out and keeping score.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Maybe just the innocence of youth out for a 'kick about' but the time taken for that not really comparable to a card in hand round
And judging by the slow play threads over the last 10 years on this forum then GP rounds and WHS have nothing to do with it taking longer these days either

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Your opening line supports my initial thoughts when starting the post.

My quickest evening rounds were bogey cup style (me verses the course on matchplay). I’ve hacked and won, I’ve played well and lost, but I’ve been quick and enjoyed it.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm minded of Jim's Dad in American Pie:
"It's like banging a tennis ball against a brick wall, which can be fun. It can be fun, but it's not a game. What you want is a partner to return the ball."

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I reckon a lot of it comes from watching modern pros.

Take the Masters for instance.

At one time it was done and finished by 11pm UK time now there are years when it drags on to the wee small hours. (Alliss was right).

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Apparently, on the Asia Amateur tournament in Thailand, they've been told they have to get round in 4hr 15m. Wish they'd give the same to the pros, but Titleist probably love the fact they get an extra 45mins of "free" advertising! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.