Slope ratings

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
just found out what the slope rating for my home course is [Willingdon] it is 113 ,.now I havent got a clue as to what that means or wether its good bad or indifferent. anyone care to put me out of my misery on this.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just found out what the slope rating for my home course is [Willingdon] it is 113 ,.now I havent got a clue as to what that means or wether its good bad or indifferent. anyone care to put me out of my misery on this.
Slope is for the tees….. 113 is the average
Most other Club's tees are quite a bit harder than that, so you would be getting extra shot/s when playing anywhere else.
Course rating is the Par

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Slope of 113 means that, on your course, you apply whatever your handicap index is. As stated above, on courses with slope values, it's possible/likely that you will get extra shots.

'Expectation' for any round is Course Rating + Slope Adjusted Handicap

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In simple terms the lower the slope rating of a set of tees on a course the lower the differential in playing handicaps will be between a scratch golfer and a handicap player.
For example on a high slope course player A could have a playing handicap of Scr, and player B 24 - on a low one the same players could compete off Scr and 18.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit more info.
The Course Rating (previously SSS) is the measure of difficulty for a model scratch player. The Bogey Rating is that for a model 20ish capper. The slope is the 'gradient' of a line on a graph between those two values.
So Slope does not tell you anything about the difficulty of the course (that is the function of the course rating) but it tells you about the relative difficulty for a bogey player as opposed to a scratch player. The higher the slope value the greater the relative difficulty for the higher handicap player. The average has been determined to be 113. The highest is 155.

Par is of no relevance

D

Deleted member 1147

Is this all going to have to be put in place by January 2020, when the handicaps change?
(I think I recall that was the date for the change!?!)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this all going to have to be put in place by January 2020, when the handicaps change?
(I think I recall that was the date for the change!?!)
1.11.20 current expectation for the switch over I believe.

Whilst the system side of the handicapping will change then it isn't anticipated that there will be wholesale handicap changes; although the higher the handicap currently the more likely that there will be some increase.