Slope ratings

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, under the current system I could play a singles open comp that would have home player css and away player css.

The away player css is usually higher than that for the home players. I am assuming the new system does not differentiate between home and away players?
More accurately, sometimes.
But you are correct in your assumption.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, under the current system I could play a singles open comp that would have home player css and away player css.

The away player css is usually higher than that for the home players. I am assuming the new system does not differentiate between home and away players?
Any adjustment to the course rating for conditions will be based on all players playing all competition rounds over that course on any particular day...which is why your assumption is correct.

Home course advantage isn't directly related to slope, or any course ratings, under the new system - and will still exist. However the fundamental change in the impact of a single round to a players handicap index is now so diluted that it becomes a pointless paper exercise to continue it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I am being honest, I am not fussed at all by these slope scores and the discussion about what new handicaps will be under the new scheme. I am sure it'll get worked out by the club accordingly. I will still play each hole as the par they were designed for and work my scores in my head at least, based on how I am doing to that. Am I alone in feeling like this?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any adjustment to the course rating for conditions will be based on all players playing all recorded rounds (ie qualifying in current terms) over that course on any particular day.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Any adjustment to the course rating for conditions will be based on all players playing all competition rounds over that course on any particular day...which is why your assumption is correct.

Home course advantage isn't directly related to slope, or any course ratings, under the new system - and will still exist. However the fundamental change in the impact of a single round to a players handicap index is now so diluted that it becomes a pointless paper exercise to continue it.

Not sure I follow that line of thinking, or I'm picking it up wrongly.

Are they implying that an away player, who plays at an inland parkland course who decides to enter an Open at a links track - on a blustery day isn't at a disadvantage to a home player? There will now be no adjustment for that?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours is showing as only Red tees done as well. Seems a bit odd.
Ditto ours. But I know our ladies course has been rated for quite some time (couple of years at least I think?) whereas the white, yellow & blue courses were being done on Monday just gone. Those in the know can confirm or disprove, but l think there was a programme of doing ladies courses which started ahead of the current general rush.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Ours!

White
71.2 USGA Course Rating (18)
128 Slope Rating (18)
94.9 Bogey Rating (18)

Yellow
69.3 USGA Course Rating (18)
125 Slope Rating (18)
92.5 Bogey Rating (18)

D

Deleted member 3432

Are they implying that an away player, who plays at an inland parkland course who decides to enter an Open at a links track - on a blustery day isn't at a disadvantage to a home player? There will now be no adjustment for that?

Thats what it sounds like.

On a positive note I am fully expecting to be getting about 15 shots back when the new system comes into play based on my form or lack of over the last couple of seasons :ROFLMAO:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes. Except that the Course Rating of the links course will almost certainly have included a factor for prevailing wind.

In any event if the CR for the away course is different from his home course, the player will get an adjustment to his handicap.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes. Except that the Course Rating of the links course will almost certainly have included a factor for prevailing wind.

In any event if the CR for the away course is different from his home course, the player will get an adjustment to his handicap.

Yip I appreciate all that. Just not sure it works in "theory", just like the scratch golfer and the bogey golfer rating system does not work in theory either.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I can only find a rating for the red tees at my place and that is 138.

D

Deleted member 3432

Does the course rating for links factor in non prevailing wind which makes the course play 1.5 - 2 shots harder?

Playing my own course in any part easterly wind you know CSS is going up by 2 shots as it plays so much harder for scratch and bogey golfer alike.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Does the course rating for links factor in non prevailing wind which makes the course play 1.5 - 2 shots harder?

Playing my own course in any part easterly wind you know CSS is going up by 2 shots as it plays so much harder for scratch and bogey golfer alike.

Of course it won't, that would be too sensible.

D

Deleted member 3432

Of course it won't, that would be too sensible.

I agree, not much wrong with the present system in my view.

All this nonsense about difficult and easy courses is surely covered by SSS and CSS.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Won't the daily Course Conditions Adjustment calculation address this?

D

Deleted member 3432

Won't the daily Course Conditions Adjustment calculation address this?

Okay, starting to understand this a little better now. Same thing but different terminaology by the sound of it.

Interestingly the course rating for Blue, White and Yellow tees at my club is exactly the same (72.6, 71.8 & 70.4) on the National course rating database as it was when last rated in 2016.

Cut and paste job or just some inputted figures and the assessment still to be completed?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I would answer the question you ask differently.
They aren't trying to imply anything.
Previously they recognised that the home players in a competition field would have an advantage that would make the application of a CSS adjustment calculated on away players scores less appropriate - and therefore recommended separate calculations.

IMO the statistical significance of every score to a players handicap is going to be reduced to the point that they don't consider it necessary to continue to include such a differentiation going forwards. Also IMO the daily course adjustment will be somewhat softer than the existing CSS calculation, for the same reason. No real point in debating this now as, at some point, we will be able to see exactly what is implemented (and can have any debate based on facts at that time)