Slope ratings

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
133 white
124 yellow
We have some holes with a 50+ yard difference and a big difference in angle between the yellows and the whites.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
so now we have our slope ratings how does that equate to any extra [or less] strokes to your respective h/cap,
my course as already stated is a rating of 113 ,so if I was to play a course with a rating of say 123 ,and being that my current h/cap is 18 would I expect a shot or two added to my h/cap .
what is the ratio of difference when equating to a single shot ,is it ten different or more ore less.
ANYONE KNOW.?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
so now we have our slope ratings how does that equate to any extra [or less] strokes to your respective h/cap,
my course as already stated is a rating of 113 ,so if I was to play a course with a rating of say 123 ,and being that my current h/cap is 18 would I expect a shot or two added to my h/cap .

ANYONE KNOW.?
The number of strokes you get above your handicap index depends on both the course rating and the slope of the tees you are playing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
what is the ratio of difference when equating to a single shot ,is it ten different or more ore less.
ANYONE KNOW.?

Start here

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAJegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2JKiCQRu7wNRBBoJZlqIEr

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How does this get from handicap index (course independent) to course (playing) handicap without knowing the slope or rating of the course to be played?

Formula:
Handicap Index® multiplied by Slope Rating® of tees played, divided by Standard Slope Rating (113) = Answer (rounded to nearest whole number, .4 rounds down and .5 rounds up)
Example: 10.4 Handicap Index x 125 Slope Rating / 113 Standard Slope Rating = 11.5 = 12 Course Handicap

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's been said above that a slope of 113 is the average, of people who've posted their course slope I haven't seen one that's below 113, where are all the easier courses?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's been said above that a slope of 113 is the average, of people who've posted their course slope I haven't seen one that's below 113, where are all the easier courses?
Do you really mean easier? Why can't people understand that slope is not a measure of course difficulty.
An easy course would have course rating of 69ish or less.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you really mean easier? Why can't people understand that slope is not a measure of course difficulty.
Yeah. People are latching onto slope only and calling courses hard or easy on that.

Ours is 136 slope and Course rating of 73.7

Springveldt

Visit site
If you are an 18 handicapper then surely the slope rating is a good way of determining if the course will be difficult for you or not?

I understand the whole course rating compared to slope rating thing but since the game is all about levels then if I was a low handicapper I would be looking at course rating but a mid-high handicapper should be looking at slope rating as well.

As an example, if your handicap index is 8.7, playing a course with a slope of 139 gives you an 11 handicap for the course but playing a course that is 113 slope gives you a 9 handicap for the course. The slope is giving you an extra 2 shots on the higher rated course.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Okay, where are all the courses with a slope below 113?

And doesn't the course rating relate to the course par?
Would a course rating of 69ish for a course with a par of 64 be difficult?

Springveldt

Visit site
Okay, where are all the courses with a slope below 113?

And doesn't the course rating relate to the course par?
Would a course rating of 69ish for a course with a par of 64 be difficult?
Since the course rating is nearly 5 shots over par, I'd say that would be a very, very difficult course.

Bethpage Black has a course rating of 6.5 above par with a slope of 155 and is considered one of the hardest courses in the world.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Par is no measure of difficulty
18 x 300 par 4s
vs
18 x 450 par 4s

The only measure of difficulty is the Course Rating. That's what course rating means.

Again, slope only tells you the RELATIVE difficulty for a bogey player as opposed to a scratch player

So a course CR 72 slope 130 is equally difficult as a course CR 72 slope 120 for the scratch player
but more difficult for the bogey player
However
A course CR 74 slope 130 is more difficult than a course CR 70 slope 120 for the scratch player.

D

Deleted member 3432

Par is no measure of difficulty
18 x 300 par 4s
vs
18 x 450 par 4s

The only measure of difficulty is the Course Rating. That's what course rating means.

Again, slope only tells you the RELATIVE difficulty for a bogey player as opposed to a scratch player

So a course CR 72 slope 130 is equally difficult as a course CR 72 slope 120 for the scratch player
but more difficult for the bogey player
However
A course CR 74 slope 130 is more difficult than a course CR 70 slope 120 for the scratch player.

Out of interest, under the current system I could play a singles open comp that would have home player css and away player css.

The away player css is usually higher than that for the home players. I am assuming the new system does not differentiate between home and away players?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Out of interest, under the current system I could play a singles open comp that would have home player css and away player css.

The away player css is usually higher than that for the home players. I am assuming the new system does not differentiate between home and away players?
same result at the end of the day as i understand it.