Slope Rating

YandaB

Visit site
I think the OP may be in the UK.
They have my club on there (in the UK), granted just the red tees so far. There are many other UK ones too. I guess if this is part of WHS then you need to be able to find all clubs all over the world?

D

Deleted member 16999

We were measured in April and we are on the link, all tees, all colours.

D

Deleted member 16999

Link covers UK Courses Jim, don’t know when or how it is updated.
See my post above.
Prior to April it only showed our Red Tees for some reason.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slope means nothing unless you have the Course Rating also.

Course Rating simply tells you the difficulty of those tees for a scratch player. (The equivalent of SSS)

Slope indicates the relative difficulty of those tees for a bogey player compared to the scratch player.
It does not compare one set of tees with another nor one course with another.

It does not mean that a 130 slope is more difficult than a 125 slope.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To find a UK club just enter the club name. Nothing else.

Most UK clubs have the ladies' tees entered as they have been rated for many years using the USGA system.
Most men's tees have now been done but it seems EG are a bit slow getting them on. If your club is not on and has been rated contact EG. Although it seems tat other GB&I countries have courses missing

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Slope means nothing unless you have the Course Rating also.

Course Rating simply tells you the difficulty of those tees for a scratch player. (The equivalent of SSS)

Slope indicates the relative difficulty of those tees for a bogey player compared to the scratch player.
It does not compare one set of tees with another nor one course with another.

It does not mean that a 130 slope is more difficult than a 125 slope.
Exactly - but I'm sure people will be saying "why is that course a higher slope than this one"

I would be interested to see an analysis of SSS vs CSS for some courses. I bet for some coastal courses where weather is a common factor the proportion of increased CSS vs SSS is much higher than the norm.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What’s wrong with doing that? Or are comparisons meaningless?

I've of the view that they are not meaningless - but they only show one specific aspect of the tee rating. The higher the slope rating the greater the difference between any handicap golfers allowance from those tees relative to a scratch golfer.

That's clearly not meaningless information; however it's not the measure that many attribute to it, as Rulefan has explained.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) "why is that course a higher slope than this one"

2)I bet for some coastal courses where weather is a common factor the proportion of increased CSS vs SSS is much higher than the norm.
1) Because it is relatively more difficult for the higher handicap player is the simple answer.

2) The Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) does pretty well the same job. But then the Course Rating has an element taking account of 'normal' prevailing weather conditions for the course.

D

Deleted member 3432

1) Because it is relatively more difficult for the higher handicap player is the simple answer.

2) The Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) does pretty well the same job. But then the Course Rating has an element taking account of 'normal' prevailing weather conditions for the course.

I'm interested in how the course rating takes account of 'normal' prevailing weather conditions.

Does this involve several visits over a period of time?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For handicap purposes maybe - depends on the formula they use. The briefing I went to suggested it would only kick-in approx 20% of the time.

Doesn't impact matchplay or possibly any strokeplay competitions though as the playing handicaps based on index & slope will determin the number used for the comp.

D

Deleted member 3432

No - 1 visit usually and assessed against normal summer playing conditions.

But what is normal summer playing conditions?

For example, the assessor visits on a rare flat calm day at my track when the reality is 90% of the time you have to factor in between 1 and 3 club wind.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rating team discuss the prevailing conditions with the course management. They rating teams are all local (ie within the county) so it is likely they will have "local knowledge" and experience. It is not based on "what is it like today or this week".
In the same way, green mowing height, rough cut height are based on greenkeepers' records not on "how long is it today"

D

Deleted member 3432

The rating team discuss the prevailing conditions with the course management. They rating teams are all local (ie within the county) so it is likely they will have "local knowledge" and experience. It is not based on "what is it like today or this week".
In the same way, green mowing height, rough cut height are based on greenkeepers' records not on "how long is it today"

Ok cheers, that seems like a common sense approach.