Skymark = distraught

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Au contraire, sir, I've been given a used head in exchange for mine, which will be sold by my local driving range as an ex demo club when the range is updated. Granted they will make a small loss, but they were happy to do so, likely due to the fact I'm a loyal customer and spend a small fortune there every year supporting the golf industry. Your point is completely wrong, irrelevant and frankly quite insulting. Xx

His point is valid.

User error = user at loss in my books.

However I fully except that we all have different morals and levels of expectation. Therefore if you are happy that is all that matters - right?

wulliewallace

Visit site
His point is valid.

However I fully except that we all have different morals and levels of expectation. Therefore if you are happy that is all that matters - right?

His point is invalid. My getting a replacement head has nothing whatsoever to do with the rise in the price of golf clubs. If it's valid, please explain how so.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
His point is valid.

So there's no chance that the paint was defective then.....

The reason clubs cost so much is down to massive marketing budgets and paying Tour Pros millions to play the clubs and then give them new ones every other week.
A small percentage of product that needs to be replaced under warranty is insignificant in comparison.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Au contraire, sir, I've been given a used head in exchange for mine, which will be sold by my local driving range as an ex demo club when the range is updated. Granted they will make a small loss, but they were happy to do so, likely due to the fact I'm a loyal customer and spend a small fortune there every year supporting the golf industry. Your point is completely wrong, irrelevant and frankly quite insulting. Xx
“Granted they will make a small loss”. Still a cost to be bourne there so my point was well made. New head was not “brand new head” so don’t see why you’re on about that.
And the insult was only in your own mind

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

The reason clubs cost so much is down to massive marketing budgets and paying Tour Pros millions to play the clubs and then give them new ones every other week.
A small percentage of product that needs to be replaced under warranty is insignificant in comparison.
When you hit a golf ball at 80mph (slow swing speed) and you strike the top of the head there is every chance that you will damage the club at least aesthetically. Warranty should not cover this issue.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

So when anyone puts a big Diddy mark on their club the manufacturer has to foot the bill?

Absolutely laughable.

wulliewallace

Visit site
“Granted they will make a small loss”. Still a cost to be bourne there so my point was well made. New head was not “brand new head” so don’t see why you’re on about that.
And the insult was only in your own mind

Your point was that new golf clubs are more expensive because I swapped a damaged head for an undamaged one. That was completely inaccurate, and therefore irrelevant. Completely lost with the middle part of your reply. As for the insult, yes it possibly was only in my mind, but my morals and ethics have been questioned, when in the cold light of day I never asked for a replacement. I asked how I could fix it, and was advised by Cobra to return it to them for inspection. If they thought it was purely down to user error, after seeing pictures, then I'd imagine they would say so rather than have it sent back to them. I go to return it and am instantly offered a free replacement. Yet you're saying I should decline the offer incase every new driver goes up to £600 next year? Seriously?

wulliewallace

Visit site

The pro who offered me the swap agreed that the damage is more than you would expect from skying one shot. I imagine Cobra thought similar or they wouldn't have asked me to return the club. I get the feeling that even if Cobra announced a mass recall due to manufacturing issues with the paint on the crown some folk on here would still argue that it's user error, and anyone who sends it back is robbing the golf industry and thus making new clubs more expensive.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The pro who offered me the swap agreed that the damage is more than you would expect from skying one shot. I imagine Cobra thought similar or they wouldn't have asked me to return the club. I get the feeling that even if Cobra announced a mass recall due to manufacturing issues with the paint on the crown some folk on here would still argue that it's user error, and anyone who sends it back is robbing the golf industry and thus making new clubs more expensive.

Mate don’t worry about it.. some people on here are serial wind up merchants or just wouldn’t complain even if the club came in half ..

I would expect the shop will return the head to cobra and get a new one tbh.. so they won’t be out of pocket..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So when anyone puts a big Diddy mark on their club the manufacturer has to foot the bill?

Absolutely laughable.
Why don't you just jump to conclusions again.....
For once in your life just read a post properly.
Your reply is the only laughable thing here
I didn't say the paint WAS faulty. I said the paint could be faulty.
You seem to be of the opinion that that the sky is completely down to the strike and nothing more....and all you have to go on is a picture.
And you can tell that the paint isn't faulty from that...wow, you're a bigger genius than we think....
Has it ever occurred to you that, once in a while you may actually be wrong?...

wulliewallace

Visit site
Mate don’t worry about it.. some people on here are serial wind up merchants or just wouldn’t complain even if the club came in half ..

I would expect the shop will return the head to cobra and get a new one tbh.. so they won’t be out of pocket..

I really hope that doesn't happen. I'm really upset by the thought that I may bankrupt Cobra now, just when they're starting to make exceptionally good drivers.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why don't you just jump to conclusions again.....
For once in your life just read a post properly.
Your reply is the only laughable thing here
I didn't say the paint WAS faulty. I said the paint could be faulty.
You seem to be of the opinion that that the sky is completely down to the strike and nothing more....and all you have to go on is a picture.
And you can tell that the paint isn't faulty from that...wow, you're a bigger genius than we think....
Has it ever occurred to you that, once in a while you may actually be wrong?...

Nope.

Never wrong.

Diddy mark = user error.

wulliewallace

Visit site
Nope.

Never wrong.

Diddy mark = user error.

I completely agree. User error.

Just seen the error of my ways and sent my new used driver off to DR Congo to be used by an up and coming young golfer in one of the poorest countries in the world. I really shouldn't be playing golf if I can't constantly hit the centre of the face. I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders! Gonna sell the rest of my clubs on EBay and send the proceeds to Cobra. By earlier logic, the price of drivers will come down drastically for next year because of this. Thanks for letting me see the error of my ways, oh wise ones. Hallelujah!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I sky my drivers regularly. Mainly due to playing with a hangover. I get really annoying scratch marks on the crown. Some polish out, some don't. What I have not seen since the early 80s is paint chipping off, like the OP. Ok, I have missed out on the White TM drivers, which appeared to chip really easily, but this just looks like a very bad paint job.

I am thinking about buying an F9, but this is putting me off.

Comments about teeing it lower are just rubbish. If I had a consistent swing, I would be on telly. I have a handicap for a reason, and clubs sold to players like me, should be built for players like me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've put sky marks on plenty of the clubs over the years. Annoying and sometimes hard to look down at it behind the ball but my mistake and there would be no way I'd consider looking for a replacement. If, in this case the damage was significant and caused by more than the sky shot, then that would be fair enough but even though a number of clubs do have defects, I really have my doubts it would have been, but if the range and Cobra are happy then good luck to the OP

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I

I am thinking about buying an F9, but this is putting me off.

Comments about teeing it lower are just rubbish. If I had a consistent swing, I would be on telly. I have a handicap for a reason, and clubs sold to players like me, should be built for players like me.

Don't let it put you off Murph, I bought one last week and its transformed my driving. I'm hitting drives longer and straighter than ever before....Saying that, my old driver was a R11s

Agree with the teeing it low comment. Teeing low just encourages you to hit down on the ball which equals sky Mark's. Tee it high and sweep it off the top.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Don't let it put you off Murph, I bought one last week and its transformed my driving. I'm hitting drives longer and straighter than ever before....Saying that, my old driver was a R11s

Agree with the teeing it low comment. Teeing low just encourages you to hit down on the ball which equals sky Mark's. Tee it high and sweep it off the top.

Also Seem to remember Rick Shiels saying he got the best results when hitting from the top of the club face on previous Cobra drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.