Singles or Pairs

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Played in a pairs comp for the first time yesterday and didn't play well at all. Even though I was paired with a regular playing partner (and a good friend) felt really nervous and under pressure to play well the whole round. Needless to say this affected my game really badly.

On reflection today, not sure I can play this way again although I would like to as there are many comps of this type at my club.

Just wondering if anyone else has felt this way, do I just need to relax more and not feel as though every bad hole is my fault.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Played in a pairs comp for the first time yesterday and didn't play well at all. Even though I was paired with a regular playing partner (and a good friend) felt really nervous and under pressure to play well the whole round. Needless to say this affected my game really badly.

On reflection today, not sure I can play this way again although I would like to as there are many comps of this type at my club.

Just wondering if anyone else has felt this way, do I just need to relax more and not feel as though every bad hole is my fault.

Last time i was nervous was when i thought i wasnt going to be able to pay my mortgage one month, On the golf course im not nervous only happy and cross.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
I like pairs comps because I like the feeling of being part of a team. A problem shared being a problem halved and all that.
Still like playing singles. and most of my comps are, but love the comraderie of pairs.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played a fair bit of pairs. First thing to learn is never to apologise for cr*p play and to play the same as on your own, unless your partner gives you permission to go for it and accept whatever happens. It does test the best of friends though, especially when you both mess up the same holes!

We often scored 40+ points in comps, never got near any prizes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Were you playing better ball or foursomes. If you are palying better ball you shouldn't feel too bad as you are a team and your partner should be there to help.

Foursomes however are a real test of friendship. One of my pals and I were in the club foursomes last year. We were handily placed in the top 10 by lunch. Played the first OK and then he put one out of bounds on the 2nd tee. I got us back in play and walked up ahead. He then stuck the next (our 4th shot) straight right again. I had to walk 100 yards back to play the next (it was raining). Got us somewhere near the green. He then put us in a bunker and we walked off the par 5 with a 12.

Takes a lot to keep the conversation amiable after that

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Betterball, every time. Couldn't even describe the other one! (please don't tell me, I don't care!).

We entered a good few open stablefords (off some fraction or another of our h'cap) and made the summer a season for playing great courses for less-than-normal fees.
i.i.r.c. we got on a few £50 (each) courses for £30 the pair. When you get those fees on a weekend, we didn't care if 40 points was down near the bottom of the best.