Match Conceded then Deadline Extended

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just thoughts on this - I’ll make it about me though it’s not.

I had to play a K/O match by 7th Jan…but for variety of reasons mostly mine and course closure I struggled to agree a date with my opponent, and so with only four days to go and no way I could play plus some likely course closure, I conceded the match and that was registered on the system. Two days later the club notified everyone in the comp that the deadline was being extended by two weeks…and I could have fitted it in in these two weeks.

Is there any moral argument that my opponent might agree to play the match. Or is when result is recorded it’s done. Is there any accommodation under the rules for this sort of thing? Even if my opponent approached me offering to play the match is he allowed to do that?

Just wondering.

D-S

Visit site
My view is that if part of the reason that you couldn’t fix a date was due to course closure and the extension has been given to all due to course closure, then you are perfectly within your rights to see if you can now fix a date in the extension period. I would put this to the committee so that they can rule, hopefully in your favour.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It would really help if the two players have a chat and agree that their match should be played.
Presenting that agreement to the committee - well - I think they would have to agree to let them play the match.

I claimed a match when my opponent did not show up.
I felt I had to do this rather than do nothing.
Once I had a chat some days later, we were able to persuade the committee to rescind my valid claim and let us play. I won.

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If you were playing me, I'd agree an extension without hesitation.

Ring him and assume you're playing as the club have issued new deadline.

If he refuses to play, that speaks volumes about him, and I'd express my disappointment to him and to the Competition Committee.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The extension was provided due to weather and course closures. I’m just pondering this as once I concede a putt or a hole it’s conceded— isn’t it? We had a discussion a year or two ago about there may be some contexts when a putt or hole concession could be retracted. Hence my asking. If there is nothing in the rules against acceptance of a match concession being withdrawn, to allow the match to be played…then I guess it comes down to moral judgements etc.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To me accepting a concession is the absolute last option, under the extension I would have made contact as suggested we play it.

Once recorded as a conceded match I would assume only the committee can reverse the recorded outcome?

YandaB

Visit site
A concession can not be withdrawn or refused - Rule 3.2b.
Thanks for that. I looked it up on the R&A app as a result but found it to be poorly written (IMHO). The relevant wording is tacked onto the second bullet of 3.2b (2) which relates to how a misunderstanding doesn't lead to a penalty. Seems to me that the sentence on not being able to withdraw or refuse ought to be completely separate in a new 3.2d (3).

I keep learning :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A concession can not be withdrawn or refused - Rule 3.2b.
Might be wrong but the rules should only kick in once you tee off on the first hole?

For me it’s very poor of the comittiee to wait until two days before the deadline to extend it.
Havnt they been looking at the weather, and course closures.

I would expect the opponent to offer to play but some people will do anything to “win”

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As the opponent, I would treat it as lhaving been an 'intention to concede', to come into effect at the stated deadline.On hearing that there is an extension, I would contact you to arrange another date for the match.

It's the Winter Knockout, not the Ryder Cup.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As the opponent, I would treat it as lhaving been an 'intention to concede', to come into effect at the stated deadline.On hearing that there is an extension, I would contact you to arrange another date for the match.

It's the Winter Knockout, not the Ryder Cup.
Even if the result is recorded in iG (comp system) and next round opponent informed by a system message sent triggered at that point?

Last edited: