Match Conceded then Deadline Extended

wjemather

Visit site
Do you think so? The first round of our one and only winter comp, a Greensomes knockout, was drawn in October and slated to be completed by mid-November. Looking at the draw sheet yesterday, only one first round match has been completed and the completion date for each round has been changed so many times the sheet is an inch thick with Tipex.

It is all weather related. The course opened yesterday, 11 holes, for only the second time since Christmas. In December, the course was open for odd days, thus making it quite difficult for anyone to arrange anything.

At this rate, the winter comp will likely not be over until summer, which is pretty much what happened in 23 also.
Maybe it's just not a good idea to be running winter knockouts at your club, knowing there are always going to be significant closures?

We've regularly had a few temporary greens, but very few full closures, and never carry bags only. We've reached the quarter final stage of both knockouts (foursomes and greensomes) with only 2 matches having been decided by coin toss having not been played (and a couple conceded due to injury/illness/forgetting about being out of if the country for 6 weeks when entering!). Only one deadline needed to be extended by a week.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe it's just not a good idea to be running winter knockouts at your club, knowing there are always going to be significant closures?

We've regularly had a few temporary greens, but very few full closures, and never carry bags only. We've reached the quarter final stage of both knockouts (foursomes and greensomes) with only 2 matches having been decided by coin toss having not been played (and a couple conceded due to injury/illness/forgetting about being out of if the country for 6 weeks when entering!). Only one deadline needed to be extended by a week.
Which course are you at? I am down the road in Chippenham and we only opened on Tuesday for the first time this year. Still only 16 holes as the 4th is recovering form extensive bunker work and 17 is low lying and always suffers. Most of the courses round here - Bowood and Manor House included have shut at some time this year.

wjemather

Visit site
This obvious thing to do is for the tie to be played if both players can arrange a date in the extended timeframe.
It’s just a club comp it’s not playing for large amounts of money or anything that will seriously change anyone’s life good or bad.
This is one of the reasons I don’t play comps, it’s fine playing to the rules of the game, but when those rules have no flexibility to take into account something like this, then the rules aren’t fit for purpose.
It’s another thing I think is a blocker to people taking up golf (not this specific instance) these stupid inflexible rules and having to go cap in hand to a committee to ask to play a tie for what amount to £30 shop credit at the end of the day
You are essentially asking for an exception to the rules based on ignorance of the player - if that was possible, you may as well not have any rules.

The rules are not a secret that you can only find out about when you fall foul of one of them.

Albo

Visit site
You are essentially asking for an exception to the rules based on ignorance of the player - if that was possible, you may as well not have any rules.

The rules are not a secret that you can only find out about when you fall foul of one of them.
No, you are applying common sense to an unforeseen situation.
This isn’t the masters, this is an utterly unimportant club competition.
Someone did what they thought was right under the circumstances based on what was known at the time.
Things have changed which were not known at the time.
There is, at least in my mind, a big difference between the rules of the game whilst playing the game, and rules like this, which are not about scoring or integrity or upholding the good name of the game.
As I say there is a reason I don’t play in competitions.

wjemather

Visit site
Which course are you at? I am down the road in Chippenham and we only opened on Tuesday for the first time this year. Still only 16 holes as the 4th is recovering form extensive bunker work and 17 is low lying and always suffers. Most of the courses round here - Bowood and Manor House included have shut at some time this year.
Most of our course is built on rock substrate so drains fairly well - we just have a few of the original (older construction) greens and the odd area (away from the line of play) that don't. My wife's course (Knowle) may as well be closed from November to March - it's one of the reasons I never joined there.

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
In matchplay, can one (both?) players ignore a rule breach and therefore the concession could be withdrawn? Not sure on the exact details on this so just asking the question.
Yes rule 3.2d (4) allows players can ignore a penalty as long as they are not agreeing with their opponent to wave a rule of golf. However a concession is not a penalty so don't see this rule applying.

wjemather

Visit site
Someone did what they thought was right under the circumstances based on what was known at the time.
There is, at least in my mind, a big difference between the rules of the game whilst playing the game, and rules like this, which are not about scoring or integrity or upholding the good name of the game.
It's not unforseen though - or at least it shouldn't be.
Our terms of competition account for these things, as they should. When anyone reports that they want to concede a tie, I always remind them it cannot be taken back, and of the potential for the deadline to be extended in the case of course closure.

IanMcC

Visit site

This is a bit rich, when in your previous post you said your club extended a deadline by a week.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A general extension due to a course not being fit to play is fine, many pro comps get extended into a monday for the very same reason, but one off’s for a hair/nail appt surely is different.

wjemather

Visit site
This is a bit rich, when in your previous post you said your club extended a deadline by a week.
How so?
The extension to the deadline was in accordance with the terms of competition (course closure affecting matches on the last weekend of the window) and did not alter the status of any conceded matches.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unimportant? Unimportant? You do realise of course that this is the premiere club Winter Singles K/O comp - that just so happens to be one I have won twice…Unimportant…pah 😘😉