Should putting only count for 1/2 shot?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been discussed but read an article arguing that a drive is 250 - 300 yrds, you have long irons, bunker shots which all count as one shot, exactly the same as a 2 ft putt, how is that? Is that fare?

Appreciate that putting is an art form as we saw from Rahm but should all shots score equally?

GBC

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been discussed but read an article arguing that a drive is 250 - 300 yrds, you have long irons, bunker shots which all count as one shot, exactly the same as a 2 ft putt, how is that? Is that fare?

Appreciate that putting is an art form as we saw from Rahm but should all shots score equally?

GBC

Yes.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes.
It is the other way round you should be thinking.
Reduce technology so that distance is not the dominate part of the game.
Mind you many long hitters also have a great short game but lack a strategic golf brain.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What on earth are you talking about? :LOL: When the aim is getting the ball in the hole, putts are the most important shots, not the least. Putting is key, make up about 35-40% of the shots you hit. A shot is a shot, whatever club it was with.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Putting is the easiest thing to learn too. You don't need to be athletic or have 100+ mph club head speed to be a great putter.

Reactions: MrC

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
If a 2ft putt is now half a shot, is a 65ft putt also half a shot? Doesn't seem "fare" either.

A shot's a shot, this is lunacy. No doubt it'll go 15 pages and spark into a furious debate though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting is the easiest thing to learn too. You don't need to be athletic or have 100+ mph club head speed to be a great putter.
You're right. A 200 yard driver who 1 and 2 putts is going to be better off than a 300 yard driver who 3 and 4 putts. Putting is the great leveller. If you devalue putts then it gives the big hitters even more advantage. There's a reason people say short game is key.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If a 2ft putt is now half a shot, is a 65ft putt also half a shot? Doesn't seem "fare" either.

A shot's a shot, this is lunacy. No doubt it'll go 15 pages and spark into a furious debate though.
I don't think you can call it a debate when I doubt even one person will back him. More like 15 pages of ridicule. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 25172

Somehow I get the sense that this is like a golf spin on the back of woke progressives arguing that 2+2 doesn’t equal 4.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
You're right. A 200 yard driver who 1 and 2 putts is going to be better off than a 300 yard driver who 3 and 4 putts. Putting is the great leveller. If you devalue putts then it gives the big hitters even more advantage. There's a reason people say short game is key.

Its also the last thing most higher handicap players practise. Chipping and putting, there is nothing stopping any of us being great at it other than practising correctly.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
What on earth are you talking about? :LOL: When the aim is getting the ball in the hole, putts are the most important shots, not the least. Putting is key, make up about 35-40% of the shots you hit. A shot is a shot, whatever club it was with.

I'll find the article, it's not my opinion but still an interesting question

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll find the article, it's not my opinion but still an interesting question
I'm not sure it's interesting, more ridiculous - but I'm not saying it wasn't worth you sharing it. It's always funny hearing some people's nonsense opinions about the game. Would be interested to see the article and who actually said it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can't really be indignant about it being an article when you haven't even linked to said article. Obviously you thought there was some merit in it and now you're backtracking...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It may be the oldest saying in the golfing handbook but it still holds absolutely true - 'Drive for Show - Putt for Dough' - and for very good reason.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
You can't really be indignant about it being an article when you haven't even linked to said article. Obviously you thought there was some merit in it and now you're backtracking...

Good morning, more than happy to of put it out there, it's clearly sparked debate, and will try and find the article