Should putting only count for 1/2 shot?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been discussed but read an article arguing that a drive is 250 - 300 yrds, you have long irons, bunker shots which all count as one shot, exactly the same as a 2 ft putt, how is that? Is that fare?

Appreciate that putting is an art form as we saw from Rahm but should all shots score equally?

GBC

Should a really long drive that does not finish on the fairway count as 2 strokes?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I find it a curious assertion given the nature of golf - but I'll bite.

For me the point about playing golf is that no aspect of it is easy or straightforward.

All aspects - including in the head - require practice of whatever sort takes the players fancy. Most of us find that we pick up some aspects of the game quicker than others - that we become proficient in some aspects quicker than others - that we ENJOY some aspects of it more than others. The aspects we enjoy most we are - I suggest - more likely to practice and become proficient in - and enjoy more - and practice more - and become more proficient in...and so on - often to the exclusion of other aspects.

To suggest that putting is easier than other aspects is true for some and patently very, very untrue for others. That's the beauty of the game.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Out of curiosity, why do you think that a putt shouldn't count for a full stroke?
And what would you propose as an alternative scoring system?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been discussed but read an article arguing that a drive is 250 - 300 yrds, you have long irons, bunker shots which all count as one shot, exactly the same as a 2 ft putt, how is that? Is that fare?

Appreciate that putting is an art form as we saw from Rahm but should all shots score equally?

GBC

Some people's driver doesn't get past 200... but they hole a bunch of 5 to 10 footers to keep their score respectable. So you might take a shot or two away per round versus the guys who miss those putts.

I personally wouldn't be against putting a 2 foot circle round the hole and making it a gimmie, just to speed up medal play. How many times do you mark a 2 footer just to avoid standing on someone else's line or marker? Plus the additional time to hole it and pick the ball up. Ok, so a marginal gain, but leaving the flag in, also a marginal gain. All adds up time wise.

I appreciate this won't happen and obviously some slopey pins can make even a 2 footer missable, but I think for 99.9% of holes that are played it would make no difference.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of course all shots are equal. Look as far back as the tiddler Doug Sanders missed, the Hale Irwin air shot when try to tap in and a host of others through the years some of which have had big influences on the outcomes of majors or RC's

Ridiculous to think a putt is less significant and not sure anyone is debating the article has any validity

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some people's driver doesn't get past 200... but they hole a bunch of 5 to 10 footers to keep their score respectable. So you might take a shot or two away per round versus the guys who miss those putts.

I personally wouldn't be against putting a 2 foot circle round the hole and making it a gimmie, just to speed up medal play. How many times do you mark a 2 footer just to avoid standing on someone else's line or marker? Plus the additional time to hole it and pick the ball up. Ok, so a marginal gain, but leaving the flag in, also a marginal gain. All adds up time wise.

I appreciate this won't happen and obviously some slopey pins can make even a 2 footer missable, but I think for 99.9% of holes that are played it would make no difference.
You haven't see my putting from within 2ft :oops:. But then again I don't practice it :rolleyes:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If people spent even 10-20 minutes a week working on holing out in the 2-4 foot range they'd see an improvement in scores. Similarly improve the short game shots around the green and it'll save a few shots. I get that a lot of people resent any form of practice but surely getting to the club 15 minutes early and going onto the practice green and working on the short ones before you go out isn't that big an ask

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

My playing partner on a Saturday will miss 5-6 of those every round o_O. He practices before a round but just gets twitchy out on the course. The odd thing is he is quite decent from long range but as soon as he gets to 2 ft or so he is like Jack Douglas, one for the old guys on here :)

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not subscribed to the Times so can't read the argument. But the premise sounds ridiculous. How would this work in stroke play? Someone gets a half stroke (or add half a stroke?!) from sinking a 2 foot putt? Are they then penalised for hitting a good approach shot. I think Pete Cowen should be shot for that suggestion to be honest.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Interesting point you make here. Not sure if you listen to the Rick Shiels Podcast but on a recent episode, when discussing the new WHS system it sounds as if, in the USA at least, their culture is to give gimmies, so even in comps they can do this! I was sat listening thinking, why not make that global? If the new system is supposed to be a "leveller" surely we should start allowing the classic bin lid gimmie even in stroke play. Food for thought anyway!

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Not subscribed to the Times so can't read the argument. But the premise sounds ridiculous. How would this work in stroke play? Someone gets a half stroke (or add half a stroke?!) from sinking a 2 foot putt? Are they then penalised for hitting a good approach shot. I think Pete Cowen should be shot for that suggestion to be honest.

Its also mentioned in an interview he gave here

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-best-teacher-no-one-knows

GBC

Swango1980

Visit site
A shot is a shot. How can you even define half a shot, when you've played a shot. I'm not one that complains about how far players can hit a golf ball these days, I find it adds a bit of excitement when watching golf, rather than watching players play a very similar game. However, it goes way too far to suggest golfers should be awarded on their score by how far they hit the ball. Otherwise the best golfers in the world would become those that smack the ball 400+ yards and duff it around the green, compared to shorter / medium hitters who excel at the short game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting point you make here. Not sure if you listen to the Rick Shiels Podcast but on a recent episode, when discussing the new WHS system it sounds as if, in the USA at least, their culture is to give gimmies, so even in comps they can do this! I was sat listening thinking, why not make that global? If the new system is supposed to be a "leveller" surely we should start allowing the classic bin lid gimmie even in stroke play. Food for thought anyway!
If I think about it, I actually reckon it would be better if gimmes were never invented, then you wouldn't have any debate about what's a gimme and what isn't it. The object is to put it in the hole after all. I'm not really sure why they invented it as a concept. You don't have it in any other sport. Oh we'll call this penalty a goal as you would have scored anyway. Free throw in basketball? Nah just give them the points, he wouldn't miss from there. Batting team only needs 3 runs from the last over to win? Let's just call it a day and give it to them. :LOL:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I think about it, I actually reckon it would be better if gimmes were never invented, then you wouldn't have any debate about what's a gimme and what isn't it. The object is to put it in the hole after all. I'm not really sure why they invented it as a concept. You don't have it in any other sport. Oh we'll call this penalty a goal as you would have scored anyway. Free throw in basketball? Nah just give them the points, he wouldn't miss from there. Batting team only needs 3 runs from the last over to win? Let's just call it a day and give it to them. :LOL:

you mean like a penalty try in rugby for eg ;)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

I do agree, very weird concept. Probably born out of laziness of not wanting to pull out the putter :ROFLMAO: