Should I Stay or Should I Go?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our secretary is off on holiday for a couple of weeks so I will see what he has to say when he gets back, am hoping he will be a bit more pragmatic and reasonable then!

Don't ignore the possibility that the Secretary doesn't have any authority to deal. As he may not be happy about the perception that gives he may not highlight that and your attempts to negotiate may not be appreciated.

I completely agree with drive4show's opinion.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi mate, i am also a member at arcot, you mind me asking if youre above 31 years old? if youre not the price is considerably cheaper, personally i quite like arcot, and have found a lot of people are very friendly and are more than welcoming for a game if you turn up solo.

Hi. Am sorry to say that it's been a long time since I was 31 :)

I do like the course, although a couple of the holes are a bit daunting (particularly the 13th!). My only real gripe about the course is that I tend to play about 3 times a week, and the winter greens and fairway protection do spoil the game, although i understand why they have them.

99% of the members i have talked to have been fine, and like you, I have played with a few of them after turning up on my own.

If you had asked me last week, I would have said I was definitely going to take full membership. I'm just a bit hacked off at what seems to me (rightly or wrongly) a poor deal compared to those who took it in August.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you've had winter greens on already at Arcot then I'd say it's either overkill or the course still isn't draining well.
Never heard of anywhere else local that's had winter temps on already....

As for taking the ball to the side during winter, fairway protection, it's very common at loads of courses up here, so no big deal really.

Arcot is a nice course, it just always drained badly after a downpour, I know they've invested heavily in drainage, but I've not played it for about 3-4yrs now, so can't comment.

Of the other courses you mention
Whitley bay is nice, but expensive for what it is.
Tynemouth and Wallsend I wouldn't even have on my mind to join.

If you want 12 months golf, on good greens, on a course that drains well....
Newbiggin

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you've had winter greens on already at Arcot then I'd say it's either overkill or the course still isn't draining well.

As for taking the ball to the side during winter, fairway protection, it's very common at loads of courses up here, so no big deal really.

Arcot is a nice course, it just always drained badly after a downpour, I know they've invested heavily in drainage, but I've not played it for about 3-4yrs now, so can't comment.

Newbiggin

it was a 50/50 mix of proper greens and temp ones yesterday. looked on the website earlier, and it looks like 100% temps today. was 100% temps when i played last thursday as well, doesn't bode well.

did play with an arcot member who is also a member at newbiggin just for the winter, for the reasons you have stated. it's a bit of a trek for me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair it has belted it down lately. I play at Linden. No temporaries, play on the fairway at all times etc but I would not play there at the moment as I know it would be a bit squelchy on some holes, walk between the tees in particular. Maybe I'm a bit fair weather but just because a course is open doesn't mean it is fun to play. It is one of the prices to pay for playing on a parkland course at times. Some of the newer courses, Burgham and Longhirst spring to mind, are pretty unaffected by rain but that is because good drainage was put in. It is tougher for the older courses due to the expense and disruption.

JamesyMc92

Medal Winner
Visit site

Newbiggin

Yeah I'm from newbiggin originally and played my junior golf there till I was 13 and haven't played there since but know a lot of people that do and the greens are ment to be the best greens in the north east and very good drainage

JamesyMc92

Medal Winner
Visit site
To be fair it has belted it down lately. I play at Linden. No temporaries, play on the fairway at all times etc but I would not play there at the moment as I know it would be a bit squelchy on some holes, walk between the tees in particular. Maybe I'm a bit fair weather but just because a course is open doesn't mean it is fun to play. It is one of the prices to pay for playing on a parkland course at times. Some of the newer courses, Burgham and Longhirst spring to mind, are pretty unaffected by rain but that is because good drainage was put in. It is tougher for the older courses due to the expense and disruption.
Few of my mates are members at Burgham and the drainage is pretty bad lately.. I'm a member at longhirst and it's always fine.. ever fancy a game sometime give me a shout I struggle to get a game as I don't know anyone at longhirst haha

Sparky76

Hacker
Visit site
I was in the academy with dave at arcot and whilst it's a nice course you are on winter greens from October to April and the winter greens are pretty horrific. With it being an old course it just doesn't drain well at all.

I'm still debating whether to stay or go somewhere mainly because you are only getting 6 months golf.

I played Longhirst today and enjoyed the course and it's not too far from me. I'm going to try blyth and maybe look at Newbiggin now if it drains well. and then make a decision.

Sparky76

Hacker
Visit site
I've never played there but a couple of workmates are members there.

Re burgham, I've played there a fair bit and the fairways can get boggy but you don't get temp greens and the main greens are decent even in the winter.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What is Bedlington like? Big parkland course, doesn't seem to get mentioned.

Think Richy is, or was, at Bedlington.

If you're happy with the course and members, stick with Arcot. Personally, although I've not played it for awhile I like WB.