Should I Stay or Should I Go?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I joined my current course 11 months ago, on their Academy scheme. The fee included access to the course and a good amount of individual and group coaching, which has been great.

At the time of signing up, the secretary told me I would get £200 off my first year's fees if I joined as a full member at the end of the year.

I got in touch with him last week, reminded him that my year was nearly up, and asked what deals were on offer. He came back and offered me membership from mid-Nov to March 2018 for £799, less the £200 discount. I pointed out that the £799 offer had been on the club's website since August, so I would be losing 3 months golf compared to someone who took it then. I also pointed out that the same £599 offer had been made to a fellow Academy member whose year was up in September.

I asked for some kind of pro-rata discount, but he has refused. I asked him to reconsider, and said that if he wouldn't, then I would have to look at other options.

So, the question is, am I being unreasonable, or am I right to expect some kind of reduction to make up for the 3 lost months?

the other question, is do I really want to stay there?

I do like the course (although there are a couple of nightmare holes for relative beginners like me), it's generally quiet, and it's 15-20 mins drive from home.

On the negative side, I don't like the winter greens and having to move your ball to the first cut of rough in the winter - both were in place for 3-4 months last year. Also, the social side is pretty dead and there has been no attempts to integrate the academy members into the club as a whole.

I have had a quick look around elsewhere, but there is no outstanding alternative. My nearest course charges quite a high joining fee (£500) and only has 5 or 6 day memberships available, the next nearest wants £300 joining fee, and the other 2 local ones are pretty poor standard.

All advice welcome!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£600 for 16 months of golf seems pretty good to me. Im sure youd be hard pushed to get a deal like that elsewhere.

Lots of things to weigh up when considering a move. I should know, ive been doing the same thing for 2 years...

D

Deleted member 21258

I

I got in touch with him last week, reminded him that my year was nearly up, and asked what deals were on offer. He came back and offered me membership from mid-Nov to March 2018 for £799, less the £200 discount. I pointed out that the £799 offer had been on the club's website since August, so I would be losing 3 months golf compared to someone who took it then. I also pointed out that the same £599 offer had been made to a fellow Academy member whose year was up in September.

As you dont mention it, I think the question to really answer, is how much is a normal years subs ? (then compare that to the £799 less £200 offer, sounds pretty cheap to me tbh)

If it is £799 then you are in fact getting extra months over standard (this isn't meant to sound harsh but don't bite off your nose to spite your face, just because someone else got an extra month on you, as the offer ran from an earlier date. You could have taken up the offer earlier;))

PS My course was closed a lot of last winter, as it was a wet winter and spring IIRC

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm assuming the course is parkland. Not uncommon to have winter greens or moving your ball to the edge of the fairway etc. Not ideal but not uncommon.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Which course are you at? What are the other options? I know that this may grate but you may be cutting your nose off by moving.

Arcot Hall.

the alternatives -

Whitley Bay (nearest to me), never played there, can only can get 6 day membership and it's £500 joining fee. Have heard it's harder than Arcot, which is a bit offputting.

Tynemouth - next closest. £300 joining fee. played it a couple of times, wouldn't rave about it but didn't mind it, a bit quirky though, some odd holes.

Wallsend - a dump

Backworth - played it loads, nothing special, and only 9 holes, so tends to get busy

Parklands - always busy

Have played Gosforth (The Bridlepath) a few times, and liked it, but that's a good 30 mins drive.

Annual membership at Arcot is £688, so the £799/£599 is a decent deal, but it's a principle thing, I feel a bit ripped off, and don't like it. Even a token gesture would help.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the deal they have offered is good enough when compared to the usual annual subs that you shouldn't feel put out.

Don't pass up on a good deal at what sounds like the best course for you over something pretty small. As has been mentioned, you could have taken the offer up earlier.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played Whitley Bay last year and really enjoyed. I could see myself enjoying being a member there, although I wont be due to geography. My point being it was interesting and good enough to play repeatedly. I haven't played Arcot so I don't know how it compares but Whitley didn't beat me up and I'm not that good. It was not a course to be afraid of although that doesn't mean that you will score well on it of course. Try a round there. Saying that only getting a 6 day membership and having a £500 joining fee, what's that about up here?, is a bit off putting.

The others I would agree with you in so far as those that I know.

If Arcot suits you and the 6 day / joining fee is off putting for Whitley Bay then I would take this on the chin and stay where you are. The deal is still decent, you like the place, it is you who loses if you move to a club that is not offering the all round package that you currently have. Curse the bloke under your breath each time you pass him but don't blame the whole club and don't lose out yourself over a fit of pique.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I feel a bit ripped off, and don't like it. Even a token gesture would help.

How do you think the existing members would feel that are paying full price while you get a few months free golf plus a £200 discount?

Sounds to me like they are offering you a very good deal.

JamesyMc92

Medal Winner
Visit site
Arcot Hall.

the alternatives -

Whitley Bay (nearest to me), never played there, can only can get 6 day membership and it's £500 joining fee. Have heard it's harder than Arcot, which is a bit offputting.

Tynemouth - next closest. £300 joining fee. played it a couple of times, wouldn't rave about it but didn't mind it, a bit quirky though, some odd holes.

Wallsend - a dump

Backworth - played it loads, nothing special, and only 9 holes, so tends to get busy

Parklands - always busy

Have played Gosforth (The Bridlepath) a few times, and liked it, but that's a good 30 mins drive.

Annual membership at Arcot is £688, so the £799/£599 is a decent deal, but it's a principle thing, I feel a bit ripped off, and don't like it. Even a token gesture would help.

I wouldn't join gosforth (bridle path) mate the drainage is terrible and gets closed a lot through the winter
I'm a member over longhirst I know it would be a good drive for you but 2 decent courses and play normal greens most of the summer

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like the deal they are offering is a good one. I would stay if you are not taken with any of the other courses near by, no point playing a course you don't enjoy just because it is cheaper or because someone else got an extra month when you didn't. Just make up for the month by playing more the next few weeks.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How do you think the existing members would feel that are paying full price while you get a few months free golf plus a £200 discount?

Sounds to me like they are offering you a very good deal.

On the face of it you are right, however it rankles that the same deal has been on offer since August, so someone joining then would get an extra 3 months of good quality golf time (certainly August and September anyway) over what I am being offered.

As for the existing members, the club is running a business, and it's no different from Sky or BT offering attractive deals to get new customers to join. They should be happy that new folk are joining as it is additional income for the club, potentially for a good number of years.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wouldn't join gosforth (bridle path) mate the drainage is terrible and gets closed a lot through the winter
I'm a member over longhirst I know it would be a good drive for you but 2 decent courses and play normal greens most of the summer

that's interesting re The Bridlepath, I played there last Friday when our place was on temp green due to heavy rain, and it was in decent nick. Never played there in mid-winter though. Played The Dawson during the summer, really enjoyed it, but you're right, it's too much of a trek for me.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I played Whitley Bay last year and really enjoyed. I could see myself enjoying being a member there, although I wont be due to geography. My point being it was interesting and good enough to play repeatedly. I haven't played Arcot so I don't know how it compares but Whitley didn't beat me up and I'm not that good. It was not a course to be afraid of although that doesn't mean that you will score well on it of course. Try a round there. Saying that only getting a 6 day membership and having a £500 joining fee, what's that about up here?, is a bit off putting.

The others I would agree with you in so far as those that I know.

If Arcot suits you and the 6 day / joining fee is off putting for Whitley Bay then I would take this on the chin and stay where you are. The deal is still decent, you like the place, it is you who loses if you move to a club that is not offering the all round package that you currently have. Curse the bloke under your breath each time you pass him but don't blame the whole club and don't lose out yourself over a fit of pique.

Just had a look at WB again, and they are now offering 7 day memberships, but that's a £575 joining fee as well as the additional in subs! Everyone I have spoken to is surprised that they are still charging a hefty joining fee in this day and age, but I guess if they can get away with it, good luck to them.

Our secretary is off on holiday for a couple of weeks so I will see what he has to say when he gets back, am hoping he will be a bit more pragmatic and reasonable then!

D

Deleted Member 1156

am hoping he will be a bit more pragmatic and reasonable then!

I really do think that it is you that should be a bit more reasonable. You are already being offered a better deal than the existing members.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I wouldn't want to play in the winter on a course where you have winter greens a lot & have to move your ball into the semi rough. Whitley Bay will be a much better winter course & I can't believe it would be any harder than Arcot.

U

User62651

I think you should stay put, you've asked the question, they've answered so accept it and move on. Social side of a club is so over-rated unless you're retired and practically live there like some old boys and lassies do.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wouldn't want to play in the winter on a course where you have winter greens a lot & have to move your ball into the semi rough. Whitley Bay will be a much better winter course & I can't believe it would be any harder than Arcot.

Cheers Bill. Played yesterday, the winter greens were on because of the overnight rain, I had forgotten how much I disliked them. Thinking of taking LT's advice above and booking a game at Whitley thru teeofftimes to see what it's like.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers Bill. Played yesterday, the winter greens were on because of the overnight rain, I had forgotten how much I disliked them. Thinking of taking LT's advice above and booking a game at Whitley thru teeofftimes to see what it's like.

Give them a ring and say you are a member of a local course and thinking of joining.

Sure they will give you a tour and let you play a round free of charge, I know courses near me did.

I have recently gone from academy to full membership and was offered no discount. I do think some bargaining is worth it.

Spoorsy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi mate, i am also a member at arcot, you mind me asking if youre above 31 years old? if youre not the price is considerably cheaper, personally i quite like arcot, and have found a lot of people are very friendly and are more than welcoming for a game if you turn up solo.