Shot par for nine holes!!

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Since moving to AZ nearly three months ago, I have been playing golf at least once a week...I have joined a club out here called Apache Creek. It is a flattish desert course, no real rough to speak of, a few lakes but if the ball leaves the fairway and goes into the desert it becomes very difficult to play from. It's a par 71 course measuring 6363 yards with a slope of 119 and the USGA rating is 69.4.

I have been playing just over a year and have got my handicap down to 15.8. Today after nine holes I was eleven over par having quadruple bogied the second hole and double bogied the fifth. However a par on 6, near misses for par on 7 and 8 and a par on nine settled the ship.

I bogied #10 then went par, par, bogey, birdie, birdie,par, par, par to comeback in even par, 36.

I only hit four greens on back nine but my misses were not catastrophic. For some reason walking to the tenth, it hit me, a voice inside said "You can score on the back nine, have a go!" the only difference I could feel is it felt as if my back swing was slower and a little shorter and I was swinging the club out to the target. Just an unhurried swing but a feeling the clubhead was whistling through he ball.

There are still many areas of my game I need to improve on...I only hit 42% of the fairways, 22% GIR and only get up and down in two from sand 29% of the time and I average 31 putts per round (today was 26.)

Also my score of 82 was my lowest on a full length course.

Is it really all in the mind? I wish I knew for sure what clicked for me today!

Sorry to bore you all!

Craig

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Well done Craig. Interesting for me because I posted my best score last week going out in 2 over and I had exactly the same feeling as you - a slower backswing, shorter swing and much more relaxed demeanour. Amazing what that psyche can do to knock 15 shots off my usual score!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Down to 15.8 after playing just over a year.
I hate people like you :angry:

Seriously tho well done & that's some back 9':thup: