Shamima Begum - In or Out

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My last comment was on page 2, it’s been a busy day. Suffice to say we are nearly on page 11. Wonder how many read my link on Wikipedia. Enlightening oneself reading that would be better time spent than discussing whether it is political, Cherie Blair or fragger for prime minister.
What I do find interesting is her not having any citizenship. She choose to join a State, the ISIS state. As far as I am aware it supersedes any countries nationality. Her choice. Her husband wanted both him and her to be repatriated into Holland. They have said that’s not happening. We are not the only country that does not want back terrorists.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
She is a British citizen. It is illegal under international law to make someone stateless.
She is also, apparently, a Bangladeshi citizen, so would not be stateless.
That (important) aspect of the case - which was never part of the appeals process - at least as far as I've seen, but could be wrong - this appeal (to the SC) was on the basis of whether the government, via a Minister, had the right to do what it did and the SC clearly believed that it did! Whether it was the 'right' thing to do is beside the point, as this process has solely been about whether the Government's action was 'lawful', not about whether it was 'right'!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bangladesh has repeatedly said that she is not a Bangladeshi citizen, so she would be stateless.

See post #29. I also posted subsequent to that with more detail on Bangladeshi law. If she wants to fight being stateless, maybe her argument is also with Bangladesh. The U.K. didn’t make her stateless, Bangladesh did.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Bangladesh has repeatedly said that she is not a Bangladeshi citizen, so she would be stateless.
If that really was the case, then I'm certain that argument would have been used during the legal process!
As it wasn't, then I believe it's legitimate to presume that she IS (entitled to be) a Bangladeshi citizen, so would not be stateless!