Serious breach of etiquette.

Wolf

Visit site

Do you really think I havnt tried flag left in?
I have many times and don’t like it, that’s why I ask for the courtesy of attending the flag.
I have said many times I have the flag out for all my putts.

It’s a choice that I have ,so I choose to have it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know as you've not said if you had or hadn't tried it. I was merely stating why it could be that you have the preference you do.

Likewise my point of he could argue that your not taking his idea of spirit of the game into account. The wording of the rule and different interpretation of that wording alone prevents this being a solvable question because your allowed to ask for it to be tended but equally under rules of golf he wouldn't be in any breach if he said no, I seriously think any committee would be hard pressed to award a game using this as a breach of etiquette or spirit of the game.

It comes down to the R&A and how they look at wording this in future.

If we play together I'll tend the flag you but I wouldn't ask for it in return we're all different.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As I said a very frosty match.

Would you then watch where his ball goes, help him look for it.
Make him put every ball in the hole.
I don’t call that golf .

I dont call it golf when someone refuses a quite reasonable request that is allowed in the game of golf and I really dont expect any issues in reality as I dont tend to play with anyone who I think would not observe the etiquette of the game

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you really think I havnt tried flag left in?
I have many times and don’t like it, that’s why I ask for the courtesy of attending the flag.
I have said many times I have the flag out for all my putts.

It’s a choice that I have ,so I choose to have it.

I don't know as you've not said if you had or hadn't tried it. I was merely stating why it could be that you have the preference you do.

Likewise my point of he could argue that your not taking his idea of spirit of the game into account. The wording of the rule and different interpretation of that wording alone prevents this being a solvable question because your allowed to ask for it to be tended but equally under rules of golf he wouldn't be in any breach if he said no, I seriously think any committee would be hard pressed to award a game using this as a breach of etiquette or spirit of the game.

If we play together I'll tend the flag you but I wouldn't ask for it in return we're all different.[/QUOTE]

If we played together I will do what you ask for when it’s your turn to putt.
All I am asking is that is afforded to me when it’s my putt.
I really don’t think that’s to much to ask for!

Can you imagine a game where I never watched your shots and when asked “ did you see where that went”
I replied “ sorry it’s not in the rules that I have to watch your ball”
How long would that round last.?

There are lots of thing NOT in the rules but are just good manners.

Wolf

Visit site

If we play together I'll tend the flag you but I wouldn't ask for it in return we're all different.

Can you imagine a game where I never watched your shots and when asked “ did you see where that went”

There are lots of thing NOT in the rules but are just good manners.[/QUOTE]

It's a huge leap to go from not tending the flag to being pedantic enough to not observe where someone ball goes, plus if that were to happen to me I'd say cool no worries ill watch my own if I don't find it then its my fault for not watching it myself. I would also manage to play the full 18 as I wouldn't let it bother me because it's just a game and not life or death.

If you couldn't last the full 18 that again is your choice.

I'm happy to do whatever is asked within the rules of the game and will always be courteous to fellow players. I'm merely standing up for the element of choice in the game and that also means sometimes accepting someone choosing not to do something because they don't have to.

D

Deleted member 18588

Your problem is that your opponent also has a choice.

Why is your choice to have the flag attended more important than his choice to play the match without that delay?

(And vice versa. )
Well he can have the flag anyway he likes when he is putting.
I would expect the same when I am putting.[/QUOTE]

But that denies him his choice regarding pace of play.

Not saying I agree with the opponent but he has a choice.

Best answer is get a caddy!😉

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There are lots of thing NOT in the rules but are just good manners.

It's a huge leap to go from not tending the flag to being pedantic enough to not observe where someone ball goes, plus if that were to happen to me I'd say cool no worries ill watch my own if I don't find it then its my fault for not watching it myself. I would also manage to play the full 18 as I wouldn't let it bother me because it's just a game and not life or death.

I'm happy to do whatever is asked within the rules of the game and will always be courteous to fellow players. I'm merely standing up for the element of choice in the game and that also means sometimes accepting someone choosing not to do something because they don't have to.[/QUOTE]

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'm happy to do whatever is asked within the rules of the game and will always be courteous to fellow players. I'm merely standing up for the element of choice in the game and that also means sometimes accepting someone choosing not to do something because they don't have to.
[/QUOTE]

Yes it’s a big leap I agree.
But a refusal to tend the flag is for me just gamesmanship and can’t really think of any other reason .
“I don’t want to because it dosnt say I have to “ sounds like a 5yr old if you ask them to tidy up.

I would stay in the match and concede you were right over that point. (DQ).
But I would not be happy if somebody refused to tend.
I played in the scratch team for over 20yrs and never had any trouble with other players.
But have played in matches with lots of needle , it’s not golf as I know it.

I just don’t understand anyone who would say “ no I am not attending the flag for you”

Wolf

Visit site

But a refusal to tend the flag is for me just gamesmanship and can’t really think of any other reason .
“I don’t want to because it dosnt say I have to “ sounds like a 5yr old if you ask them to tidy up.

I played in the scratch team for over 20yrs and never had any trouble with other players.

I just don’t understand anyone who would say “ no I am not attending the flag for you”[/QUOTE]
Again that's matter of opinion, its your opinion it's gamesmanship, yet others will be of the opinion their time is better spent reading their putt and preparing to play with no hint of gamesmanship in their thinking. Likewise they may not understand the point of tending it when they no longer have to.

It's to open to interpretation and I think getting wound up over it is pointless because it achieves nothing

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well he can have the flag anyway he likes when he is putting.
I would expect the same when I am putting.

But that denies him his choice regarding pace of play.

Not saying I agree with the opponent but he has a choice.

Best answer is get a caddy!😉[/QUOTE]

The only thing with this is .
If I choose to take 5.5hrs would you think that’s ok as I have a choice.
If anybody refused a reasonable request to tend as he wants to save time.
I know lots of players that would make sure he spends a lot of time watching them look at the putt from every angle before putting.

Having a choice is fine as long as it dosnt impact on your op.

You were a pro sportsman and you know the game is between your ears, this is a gamesmanship ploy if ever I have seen one.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Why is your choice to have the flag attended more important than his choice to play the match without that delay?"

Simple solution is that if he was a bit quicker in attending the flag, there wouldn't be a delay ... :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I just don’t understand anyone who would say “ no I am not attending the flag for you”
Again that's matter of opinion, its your opinion it's gamesmanship, yet others will be of the opinion their time is better spent reading their putt and preparing to play with no hint of gamesmanship in their thinking. Likewise they may not understand the point of tending it when they no longer have to.

It's to open to interpretation and I think getting wound up over it is pointless because it achieves nothing[/QUOTE]

Yes I see your point ,you make it well.

I’ve got nothing else to do, it’s freezing here stuck in with hid.
Regards.

Wolf

Visit site
The other thing is it may never happen to either so it's all hypothetical and hopefully none of us come to that point where it becomes issue

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"Why is your choice to have the flag attended more important than his choice to play the match without that delay?"

Simple solution is that if he was a bit quicker in attending the flag, there wouldn't be a delay ... :)

I never said it’s more important!
All I ask is he affords me the same courtesy I give him.
He can have the flag anyway he asks for.

D

Deleted member 18588

Don't get me wrong!

In the circumstances quoted I think the opponent is being a prat.

Golf should always be played in a courteous manner and, ideally, be friendly. It's not life or death.

Personally I have no issue with looking for balls or attending flags.

But the problem is that, as I am not obliged to do so, my opponent would have to concede the match if he walked in due to my pig ignorant behaviour.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but if you look at the other thread, a lot of it is just blatant winding up.

No winding up. There is genuinely no reason to now tend a flag.

Your inherent bias and dislike of me has clouded your vision.[/QUOTE]
I have no bias and I have no idea where you get the impression I dislike you.
There is genuinely a good reason to tend the flag and that is when your playing partner asks you to.
But as I say, I am not feeding, so I am out.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can people please figure out how to use the quote function? That’s a much worse breach of internet etiquette!
Hit 'reply' just at the bottom right of the post you are viewing. You can then remove any bits of the post that are not relevant.

Don't hit the bigger, bolder box further down, labelled 'Post reply'.