All of the details for Whittington Heath (pairings and tee off times)

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually it doesn't come across all golf snob... well maybe a little. But I for one understand & apreciate & to a great extent agree with your logic, as if I were visiting an area I've not been before & traveled a long way I'd either want to play the best, or get the best deal, but either way it'd need to be a course I want to play.

Had I been with anyone but my missus when we went down to Devon & Cornwall & if funds had allowed I'd have wanted to play Royal North Devon & StEnodoc Church Course over many of the others down there.

As for comparing the two courses, well Beau Desert is also on my to play list & I've not managed to get around to playing. Though I do see that they do a 36 hole rate at £60, which makes it £30 a round effectively. Thing is Branstons greens due to the underlying subsurface drain well & the greens are usually in excellent condition. So chances are the two corses are probably closer in the quality stakes than you might think, not a million miles away from the quality of greens I've experienced at Belfry PGA, sometimes nicer too.

Branston is a good course & probably one of the better local bets imo, so maybe a but unsung so to speak, but everyone looks for different things. Burton (Bretby) Golf club comes highly recommended, many say its better than Branston G&CC. TBH, it'd have to go some way to do this, but I know from people I know that in Summer Bretby's greens can come very close to lightening fast in the ilk of US greens by the ratings I've been quoted by people I know who are members there. But of course they will naturally big up their own course.

I do know they've been doing work around Branstons course of late & am unsure as whether this has been finished or not, so unless I were to pop down today & play & let you know what's currently the situation I'd say if you want to play Beau Desert, then play it. & your post has certainly not been taken the wrong way.

I'm not currently in a position to afford full Branston Membership & its a toss-up between several local ones, but knowing how it plays it does set the bar very high. rofl. :D

Anyway, Good shootin'

Regds
Paul

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks for not taking it the wrong way Paul.
As I say, if you were heading down this way for a golf trip and was looking for a "great" course to play, I wouldn't recommend my home track, as nice as it is. It's just "nice".....
There are better courses in the area that would stay in your memory for much longer.
Crowborough, Charthills and Littlestone to name just three so I guess that's what I am looking for.
So Dermot has phoned Beau Desert and has provisionally booked the tee for 3.00pm on the Wednesday... ;) ;) ;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For how many?
Can you get me the postcode?

He's booked the tee for four Vig, so there is a space for you (and one other) if you fancy it. Just the two of us at the moment as far as I know. You could always bring TonyN with you, and me and Dermot will give you a sound spanking!!
The course website is here, with contact details and postcode... http://www.bdgc.co.uk/contact_us.asp

It really does look a superb course mate.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So Dermot has phoned Beau Desert and has provisionally booked the tee for 3.00pm on the Wednesday... ;) ;) ;)
For how many?
Can you get me the postcode?

I can answer your second question... http://www.bdgc.co.uk/contact_us.asp

WS12 0PJ.

Would love to play Beau Desert, infact would love to be close enough to there to play there regularly, as looking at the web site I'm smitten by it. And this is coming from someone who loves links golf.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If anybody else would like to come along to the "main event" on the 21st, I have just received notification that somebody has had to pull out. Please let me know if you are interested, or if you are already coming, whether you have a mate who would like to come along with you.

Many thanks
Rob

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I might be able to get there a little earlier, depends on traffic.

Have you got somewhere lined up to stay on the Wednesday night?

Be great if you could get there a bit earlier Vig. I don't really want to tip up at the "hotel" too late, but we'll hang on for you if you are deffo up for a game.
I have booked up here...
http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/hotel_overview.php?hotel_id=120

Fairly cheap, and when I booked I was given a "family" room...don't know how many beds are in there but Dermot is bunking in with me, and if there is enough space you are more than welcome...it will save you a bit of dosh.
A few more of the lads are staying at the Travelodge, but A38 "Southbound"...if you have a look you'll find it on the website.
Let me know what you want to do mate.
Rob

Rob

Are you booked in at Southbound or Northbound?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Rob

Are you booked in at Southbound or Northbound?

Northbound mate.
I have got a "family room" (didn't specifically book it but got it at the same price!)
Dermot is bunking in with me, if there is room you are more than welcome to bed down with us if you want.
I'm safe, but I hear that he has got homosexual tendencies
;)

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rob

Thanks for the offer. Not sure you want to offer a psychopath a room for the night :eek: Remember only fools and the fishing trip :eek:

Gonna try and book it now. Will get back to you if I don't get any joy.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Rob

Thanks for the offer. Not sure you want to offer a psychopath a room for the night :eek: Remember only fools and the fishing trip :eek:

Gonna try and book it now. Will get back to you if I don't get any joy.

A few of the lads are staying in the Southbound one Vig which is only a mile or so down the road, so it's not the end of the world if you have to choose there instead.
We can still all meet up for a few bevvies

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
All booked.
£29 for a family room so if anyone else who is going wants a bed. I have one.

What are you doing for evening meal? Liquid?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well, just over a week to go before the big event and the long range weather forecast gives an excellent day!
We are still one player short at the moment so if anybody has been thinking about coming along would like to confirm, please get in touch with me....

JUST A PIECE OF FRIENDLY ADVICE TO ALL........

I WILL BE CONFIRMING FINAL NUMBERS WITH THE GOLF CLUB IN TWO DAYS TIME. ANYBODY WHO PULLS OUT AFTER THIS THURSDAY OR IS A "NO SHOW" ON THE DAY WILL BE LIABLE TO THE FULL AMOUNT AS I WILL HAVE TO PAY WHITTINGTON HEATH FOR THE GREEN FEES AND HAVE PURCHASED THE TROPHIES. PLEASE BEAR THIS IN MIND AND TRY NOT TO BE OFFENDED IF I COME KNOCKING!!

THANKS

ROB

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vig sent you a pm last night regarding the game Wednesday, I am game.

Smiffy, to keep you in the loop looks like I will be teeing it up with you and Dave Wednesday.

Will sort out all the details later on tonight.