Looking for a 3 hybrid to get me off the tee, what should I be looking for?

AdamW

Visit site
I can not hit my driver at all it is a right pain in the ass, I will have to work on it at the driving range but in the meantime I want a 3 hybrid and not sure which brand / model to go for? What is long and forgiving? Want something to get me off the tee box and down the fairway.

Will be looking at used market to keep cost down.

I have a 4 hybrid which is a callaway xr regular 22 degree which I have had around a year and it goes around 180-190 80% of the time unless I mess my shot up.

Any recommendations appreciated please :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
4 hybrid which is a callaway xr regular 22 degree which I have had around a year and it goes around 180-190 80% of the time unless I mess my shot up.

Use this, you seem confident and practised with it already, 180 is a solid tee distance.

Save the money and use on Driver lessons and practice, it can be done and a new club will only be a short term fix.

AdamW

Visit site
Use this, you seem confident and practised with it already, 180 is a solid tee distance.

Save the money and use on Driver lessons and practice, it can be done and a new club will only be a short term fix.

Yea I should really think I beat myself up to much having to catch my mates who are driving 250 consistently, feel like they are a shot ahead of me all the time on long par 4/5s

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pings and Cobras seem to be good value and usually well rated (G400, F9). Heard good reviews about the TM SIM hybrid as well, would be more expensive of course.

AdamW

Visit site
For the cost of the second hand club you could have had lessons to learn how to hit the driver more consistently. Has to be a cheaper and longer term approach

Currently had at least 8 lessons spread over about 15 months but we have been focusing on the iron swing. Think I will ask for a driver lesson next ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
220 is a realistic driver distance, 240 is a nice to have.
whats that got to do with his mates hitting 50 yards past him?

OP, how acurate are you with the diver? if you are missing the fairway and still 50 behind, why not try a 17 or 18 deg hybrid, dount there is much difference between one of those and a 3.

or better still play with some seniors who you will be hitting it 50 yards past and bin your mates:LOL:

jamiet7682

Visit site
I have the callaway xr 19 degree hybrid, really good club but not sure it will give you much more distance over the 22 you already have, mine tops out at 200 yards.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I know you said used, but the new Cobra Speedzone hybrids are awesome. You can probably pick up last years F9 hybrid a little cheaper. I don't think there is much difference in them.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My lowest loft hybrid (20 adjusted to 19 from memory) is noticeably more difficult to hit well than my 'go to' one (23*). So you may not get quite the result that you are seeking.
I have a 4-Wood that works/I hit as well as the 23 - both off the deck or tee-ed. Same initial (15*) club as my 2-Wood (now only used off tee) but adjusted up to 16.5* compared to adjustment down to 13.5 for the '2'.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
or better still play with some seniors who you will be hitting it 50 yards past and bin your mates:LOL:
As an ailing Senior who hosts at my club for 3 6-8 cappers, being only 50 yards behind them would be wonderful! Until I committed to a buggy, I was likely to be last to my ball too! :mad:

Sekiro

Visit site
What woods do you have in the bag? If you are trying to close in on that 250 distance of your friends but want to do it without a driver then would a 3 or 5 wood be a better option, especially since you’ve already got that 4h in the bag?

I personally can’t hit my driver at all but my 3w is lethal, I played on the weekend and every hole my friend hit driver I hit 3w, the look on his face when me (a beginner) out distanced his driver with a 3w was priceless! It’s probably my most confident club in the bag at the moment and it’s a joy to hit (Cleveland Launcher HB).

Springveldt

Visit site
I can not hit my driver at all it is a right pain in the ass, I will have to work on it at the driving range but in the meantime I want a 3 hybrid and not sure which brand / model to go for? What is long and forgiving? Want something to get me off the tee box and down the fairway.

Will be looking at used market to keep cost down.

I have a 4 hybrid which is a callaway xr regular 22 degree which I have had around a year and it goes around 180-190 80% of the time unless I mess my shot up.

Any recommendations appreciated please :)
Maybe try gripping down on your driver? Most people struggle with the length of it.

If you are set on a hybrid but not happy with the 4, then I'd look at a 17° one for off the tee. I can't remember off the top of my head who do a 2 hybrid, I think Ping make one.

What woods do you have in the bag? If you are trying to close in on that 250 distance of your friends but want to do it without a driver then would a 3 or 5 wood be a better option, especially since you’ve already got that 4h in the bag?

I personally can’t hit my driver at all but my 3w is lethal, I played on the weekend and every hole my friend hit driver I hit 3w, the look on his face when me (a beginner) out distanced his driver with a 3w was priceless! It’s probably my most confident club in the bag at the moment and it’s a joy to hit (Cleveland Launcher HB).
Going to need a ton of speed to hit to a 5 wood anywhere near 250. Even a 3 wood you are looking at around 100mph swing speed with it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Maybe try gripping down on your driver? Most people struggle with the length of it.

If you are set on a hybrid but not happy with the 4, then I'd look at a 17° one for off the tee. I can't remember off the top of my head who do a 2 hybrid, I think Ping make one.

Going to need a ton of speed to hit to a 5 wood anywhere near 250. Even a 3 wood you are looking at around 100mph swing speed with it.
Going to need even more to hit a hybrid that far..
Lower lofted hybrids are more difficult to hit...you need a reasonable swing speed to make them work.
If you need more distance than the 4h but can't use the driver then a 4 or 5 wood ( 17 -19°) should be where you're looking unless you have that club speed.
CoG is lower and further back so the ball flies higher with a bit more spin so it stays in the air longer...

Mannion

Visit site
I would try a 3 wood, I love my SIM max and leave the driver at home most days. If you are hitting a 4 hybrid well off the tee there's not much difference in swing just put the ball more forward in your stance. I average around 220-230 with mine which is plenty for most courses