Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

justagolfer

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have said for a long time that the game is in decline and that one of the reasons is the continuing drop in standards of behaviour. This is just one example.

Yesterday at my club a group of visitors reported to be members of “ The Golf Monthly Forum “ where playing a Scotland V England match..

This is how a number of these Golfers? conducted themselves on the short par 4 eighteen hole.

Two 4 ball groups had arrived on the tee close together.

You cannot Putt out on the 17th green while golfers on the 18th are teeing off. (it’s dangerous ) so you have to stand back and allow the normally 4 ball or less on the 18th tee to play. ( Well that’s the courteous thing )

This group now consisting of eight, all teed off as one group. Yes 8 drives. As a consequence the “ members “ playing in the club competition had to wait twice as long before they could continue their hole by putting out.

That I think was bad enough. However, they were not finished disrupting our play quite yet. As we now attempt to Putt Out. This now 8 man strong “ straggling group “ trundled past the edge of our green. Their trolleys, golf clubs and mouths rattling away with no regard for the group still trying to Putt out on the green

Finally, if all this was not discourteous enough there is a large 6’x 4’ sign at the entrance to the18th tee. Which states. Players on reaching the 18th green are required to stand back and invite the players on the 18th tee to drive before Putting out.. ( it is a reachable green )....Yes you guessed it. Not only did we have to wait for four golfers to putt out but all eight.. Thank you all very much.

That sir is the case for the prosecution. Golf manners are and have been in decline for some years now and this is but one example…

In the interests of fairness, I should point out that the visitors consisted of more that the eight players and therefore should not necessarily all be tarred with the same brush.

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sometimes you can excuse visiting parties from missing local etiquette rules BUT to all tee off and the trudge past a group putting is pushing the boundaries a touch. FWIW I hate visiting groups when club comps are on... just my pennies worth though.

justagolfer

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't think you can defend the indefensible...Some of those playing were actual club members. Although as I said, not necessarily is the 8..In saying that the 8 were the last of the group and all the others were around the eighteenth watching them finish and applauding their putting and could see my group waiting on the tee. However good to have said my piece and I’m sure some of them will read my posting. Whether it improves matters, I would doubt…Sadly we are burdened with 5 hour visitor rounds during most of our medals.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Yes it should not have happened……….however, I was in the third last group. We were rightly waved through because the guys in front lost a ball. To make matters worse, we hit our balls and one crossed the first fairway as some local guys were coming up the first. The ball was on the first fairway when we came off the 18th tee and we can only presume, after a search, the ball magically disappeared. So we had two groups on the 18th and unfortunately, that backed up the last two groups.

Not an excuse but I’m presuming because it was the last hole, and that they already had waited a while, that the guys thought it would be faster to finish together.

Last edited:

justagolfer

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tommo21...you have hit the nail on the head ... My whole point entirely … The fact that “they “did what suited “them” without any consideration for what is fair, correct, proper, or good manners..

They had waited and so were probably judging by the team photo “ bursting a gut “ to get to the bar .

Ergo, to bad on everyone else….. Your posting chooses to ignore the noise as we tried to putt and their failure to respect the sign to wave players down. Typical example of selective avoidance of the full facts… when trying to as I said defend the indefensible.. However the real point is, as I said at the start of my posting. This is just one example that is symptomatic of the decline in golf etiquette everywhere.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
They had waited and so were probably judging by the team photo “ bursting a gut “ to get to the bar .

What's that meant to mean?

Yes, it's a tricky situation with the local rule on the 18th tee but I'm sure the lads tried to do what was quickest by teeing off en masse. If you were inconvenienced then we apologise but we were also trying to enjoy ourselves, something which, by the manner of your posts will probably elude you. Maybe they didn't realise. Having played with many of the guys involved I'm sure it was not deliberate as their manners are impeccable in my opinion.

As for the suggestion of going somewhere else next year.....speechless. Never had anything but fantastic hospitality at Goswick in 3 years. Shame you've single-handedly let your entire club down.

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why not say something at the time?

Why not ask the pro to have a word?

Why make the assumption they were desperate to get to the bar?

Can only assume that you didn't say anything to them (or the pro) because you were desperate to get to a computer to complain.......

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lol justagolfer is making a very valid point but the mass tee off is being excused as hurrying up :s

Had an instance at my course yesterday that highlights his general view of standards slipping were a member parked his cart in front of our tee box while they putted and our tee box was the opposite side to their next tee!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
and how on earth did you arrive at that conclusion? that comment totally beggars belief

Why? In essence he's just having a "visitor" moan. Never been made more welcome at Goswick. He then suggests we take ourselves and our £2000+ in green fees, drinks and food elsewhere. Come on? Totally brainless.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Ah shut up........you come on and say I've hit the nail in the head then talk about my selective avoidance.

If it was me, honestly, if it bothered me that much, I would have said something there and then, or come into the bar and said my piece. Hows that for avoidance. Another thing, if 8 players are coming down off the 18th tee, the sensible thing would be to let them past before putting out. It wasnt hard to work out there was a wait in store.

Oh, no one was bursting a gut to get to the bar, were you, they were all around the 18th green.

Oh my first post was to explain why the last two groups got held up, the group behind me were just coming onto the 17th green as we passed them on the 18th..just a little background, not trying to justify anything.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Lol justagolfer is making a very valid point but the mass tee off is being excused as hurrying up :s

Had an instance at my course yesterday that highlights his general view of standards slipping were a member parked his cart in front of our tee box while they putted and our tee box was the opposite side to their next tee!

Who made the excuse..show me.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Disqualify them all is say . match to be replayed in full . this weekend,:D wont pass comment until i hear the other side of the story so come on then the 8 dragons of the forum truth up please .......

Justagolfer , not condoning any of this for a second .. BUT if your club had this many golfers PAYING greenfees & contributing to your bar & food , hence your club income & this is the only incident you can mention well ?? .. most clubs would be crying out for this kind of financial input in these times , ok so you got put off for a couple of minutes thats not great & agreed that should not have happened , they were playing the 18th so even if they had played in two 4 balls you would not have finished any earlier , these guys arent young yobbos they are all golfers who love golf & would not purposely be rude, just a mistake & ye should have just said it to them & im sure they would have quietened down & apologised,other option is mayb stop allowing these visitors & double your anual sub ?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gonna be quicker, given the local rule of allowing those on the tee to hit to the green before you putt out, surely? Unusual situation but done with the best intentions. Makes sense to me.

Always two sides to a story, eh?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
How different would the reply have been if it had not been forumers.

People in glass houses!!!!!

One incident in a whole weekend tho ,and on the 18th at that ?? as i explained in the 1st line of my reply i wasnt condoning the incident in any way , but its over and done in what ? 10/12 mins tops but the income is vital .. im not saying your wrong, im saying see the bigger picture & be thankful for the income .. all im saying is that I KNOW forumers would not be impolite on purpose ..

Status
Not open for further replies.