Sergio - Less bottle than a teetotallers drinks cabinet.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
A chance of a major and he bottles it yet again.

I know there are a lot of Garcia fans on here (I quite like him) and it is a shame to see him waste another chance of a major win.

I have maintained the oppinion that he will never win a major as he is most definately a big-time bottler.

I am glad Harrington won, 3 majors, 2 in sucession shows what a class act he is and what a good temperament he has. 2-up to those who said his 1st open made him just another flukey 1-time major winner.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I backed Harrington, (not at the Bookies) but told the FIL he would win it.

He was adament big phil would win it and then after saturdays close of play he backed stenson. I maintained Harrington would win it. Didn't see any action last night really but really pleased to hear Padraig clinch another.

Well done Padraig!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sadly his skills as a golfer are not backed up by mental strength. He has battled numerous nervous afflictions (constant regripping, yips, etc) most of his professional career. These are not signs of a solid mentality.

Nice guy, very talented, never going to win a major.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Harrington got me £135 :)

For me Harrington is right under Tiger in terms of class, I can not wait for them to be playing again. Some good odds of Harrington winning the Irish & British open 2009.

whilst talking about last night, 3hrs for the last group to play 9 holes!! :O Holmes taking 25+ minutes to finish the first! shocking.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to say I disagree slightly. OK Garcia made a huge mistake going into the water but Harrington was hardly playing tee to green golf all the way round. I just think Harrington putted better. Garcia was unlucky when his ball hit the hole and had Harrington not made the putt at the last would have had a putt to force a play off. I don't think he bottled it and hope he has the stomach for the fight going forward as I think he will get there eventually.

B

birdieman

A tad unfair perhaps, I agree Sergio bottled the Open last year but last night he went great guns head to head with Harrington, firing a 68. Both of them played some fabulous golf on the back 9 on one of the toughest golf courses in the world. The putt he missed on 17 was struck ok, just a misread and Harrington was on fire with the flatstick.
Harrington has gone in a short space of time from a very good pro around 10th in the world into the world number 2 (maybe not officially) and is a very intimidating player to go up against, he is simply fantastic under pressure now.
As soon as the rain and wind started you knew Harrington would come to the fore. He has a short game second to none. I think Garcia felt he's been beaten rather than losing it himself.
Well done Sergio, you behaved like a pro this time and a great Sunday evening's viewing you helped make.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have to say I disagree slightly. OK Garcia made a huge mistake going into the water but Harrington was hardly playing tee to green golf all the way round. I just think Harrington putted better. Garcia was unlucky when his ball hit the hole and had Harrington not made the putt at the last would have had a putt to force a play off. I don't think he bottled it and hope he has the stomach for the fight going forward as I think he will get there eventually.

Dito that too. Sergio didn't bottle anything.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bang out of order Jon and completely wrong. Getting his tee shot on 17 inside Harrington's showed all the bottle you could wish for, especially after going in the water on 16 (as well as his up and down on that hole).

Bottom line is Harrington's putter has been red-hot all year in the US and you only have to look at his stats to see that putting is everything for him.

Garcia played brilliantly and sooner or later he will get a bit of luck his way, rather than lipping out or bouncing out of the hole.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, I do not think that Sergio bottled it but just came out second best. Certainly was one of the most entertaining ends to a tournament I have seen in a while, did not care which of those 2 won but remained nervous that Curtis may pull something out of the bag.

Quote of the evening had to go to Butch Harmon about JB Holmes 'It is not only that he is playing so badly, it is that he is managing to play that bad and still be that slow'

Jonny_Stevenson

Medal Winner
Visit site
I watched the Sky online coverage which covered the Harrington and Garcia match exclusively - it is a complete and utter fallacy to say that Sergio "bottled it". He play some superb golf and holed some really crucial putts.

It's very easy to be a Sergio-basher but on this occasion Harrington simply beat him. Sergio did not let him win. And if you look really closely you'll see that ultimately it was some incredible putting (26 putts in total) that made Harrington's round. Sergio was striking the ball better pretty much all day.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Perhaps if he had shaved before playing he might have psychologically been more prepared, you know, look the part, play the part.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
It's very easy to be a Sergio-basher but on this occasion Harrington simply beat him. Sergio did not let him win. And if you look really closely you'll see that ultimately it was some incredible putting (26 putts in total) that made Harrington's round. Sergio was striking the ball better pretty much all day.

And it is on the greens where titles are won, All I am saying is that Garcia is dicey when faced with testing putts.

I am not completely slating the guy, I really like him, just questioning his mental strength on the greens and from chats I have had today, lots of people agree.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
well done Paddy you have netted me £450 in the last 3 weeks!
Got to say I watched the lot and it was a great battle but the old figure of 8 putting stroke reared its ugly head again for sergio while paddy was simply superb on the dancefloor.Really wanted Garcia to win even though it would have cost me and I am still not sure if Sergio lost it or Paddy won it....mixture of both I feel....hopefully Garcia time will come but we cant keep saying that for ever can we?

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dont think Sergio bottled it but my theory is that Sergio did not really believe he could beat Harrington once Harrington came back to him on 12 and 13. Sergio started brillantly and still led by 1 shot with 4 holes to go.

However when the pressure came on he misjudged a 6 iron to 16 and his putting touch on 15 and 17 were not good.

Its mental strength at this level which separates the chamions from the rest and unfortunately Sergio still lacks that mental strength - yes he is the best driver adn a superb iron player but thats not enough to win a major.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Congratulations Paddy is what I say.

Sergio didn't win, simple as!

Padraig Harrington was a worthy winner who seems a thoroughly alround decent fella. A family guy who quietly gets on with the game with minimum fuss. Through his achievements nobody can deny the guy's a fantastic golfer.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think you can say he bottled it either, I think his putting held up much better than it has/ had previously meaning he is going in the right direction and will win a major one day. It was simply an error in his golf swing that came at the wrong time- it wasn't a mental choke if that makes any sense, it was a technical fault something that until now has not held Sergio back- it has always been his mental game, but not so much this time. There is no doubt it was a chance wasted though.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was really one very unlucky & nearly briliant shots that ended up in the water. The commentator absolutely slated Garcia for it, but its simply he was unlucky to end up wet on that occassion. Just think where Garcia would have been if he had been dry on that hole or for that matter he could putt this last week...

The championship was definitly won on the dance floor. simple as that. But luck also had a lot to play & the luck of the Irish was smiling on more than one occasion that week.

Jonny_Stevenson

Medal Winner
Visit site
I can't agree with that. With the exception of Vijay and Tiger I doubt there is a golfer out there who works harder than Harrington. Certainly not Garcia (by his own admission).

It wasn't luck that won the PGA for Harrington.