Worst preparation yesterday

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had an important game yesterday, and felt on the 2nd tee "could any more go wrong?"

Sorted it so the missus could walk the dog, and have a lie in. Good breakfast, 9 hours kip, butties made, choccy sorted, drinks made, balls marked, clubs selected and had a game plan. Didnt want to get there too early and use up too much mental energy, but......

Night before my caddy said he couldn't make it, I've played with him for 25 years and he knows my strengths and weaknesses.

Goes the driving range to hit 20 balls, just before going to the course, which is only 2 minutes away. Hits 14 with the driver, either straight left, or slices.

Decides on a whim to drop the 3 wood, and put a 1- iron in instead, so have a back-up to the driver, which isnt ideal on a muddy parkland.

Talking with the starter and my opponent before going out about whether we should go "from the stones" or the current winter forward white tees (my preference, as I knew my opponent was a long hittier). We decide to go with the stones, as dont want it to be "invalid", as someone said it had to be from the stones.

Hailstones on the first tee, with 3 hours of heavy rain to come (weather forecast).

Par 4 - I hit a driver right down the middle,opponent slices it. He then tries to hit through a load of trees and it only goes 20 yards and finished by the 150 marker.

I get my laser out my bag.......battery has gone flat. Working fine for previous 9 months, lets me down on my biggest ever game. Ah well, uses scouser's Garmin.

Hes had 2, Ive still got my approach to take. I put mine in the greenside bunker, not too bad, may get an up and down to match his probable 5........

He only goes and puts it in for birdie from 150 yards out.........I then have to hole my bunker shot to get a half. I didnt.

Caddy change, club selection changed, laser defunct and now 1 down to a 150 yard wonder shot.

Managed to win the 4th to go A/S.

BUT...got on with it, missed all 4 x 3-5 footers for 3 wins and a half on the front 9 alone. Putter was stone cold.

He birdies 10a to go one up.10b and 11 he nails a 10 footer and a 15 footer to get halves.

I pulls an easy 140 yard shot straight OOB to lose that and be 2 down on 12. Nothing going my way, at all.

I birdies 13 to go 1 down. He is in the fringe on 16 and chips poorly, misses a 6 footer short by 1 inch which would have gone dormee.

17 th tee - Scouser has a word with me along the lines of "what are you doing, youve been too negative - go for it".

Birdies 17 and 18, both par 4's to win by one.:whoo::whoo::whoo:

Scouser - you absolute marvel.:thup:

A few friends were there, scouser and his missus, and her son who isnt a golfer but is a keen photographer, and my own missus.

Ecstatic wasnt even close.

Only time I've ever entered the scratch knockout and won it in my first go, and my second major of the season.

The guy I played with was an absolute gentleman, and in a way was gutted for him. He still come for 2 pints afterwards, and also sent me a text later on congratulating me. Top guy. He's also this years club champ, who has also won another matchplay major, and is also doing well in the winter cup. He said he was currently unbeaten matchplay-wise this year.

Only had the two big whiskies last night, as wanted to savour it, still buzzing now, sorry about going on.

The moral of the very large story - keep going. :thup:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice one Pete - great win! :thup:

BTW. I always keep a spare battery for my laser in my bag. These things tend to "go" with no warning whatsoever - as you discovered!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nice one Scouser, a shame you had Pete hitting the clubs for you or you'd have had it sewn up a few holes before that.

Well played LB, I assume that you were playing your Apex IIs?

Last edited:

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Feel those putter woes, sometimes I just can't get a straight line! Out of interest, why did you lose the 3 wood?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice one Pete - great win! :thup:

BTW. I always keep a spare battery for my laser in my bag. These things tend to "go" with no warning whatsoever - as you discovered!

Thats female sense though Kaz, and not transferable.:D

Nice one Scouser, a shame you had Pete hitting the clubs for you or you'd have had it sewn up a few holes before that.

Well played LB, I assume that you were playing your Apex IIs?

Nar, I'd have won it 3 and 2 with them - fancied a full round.

Great story Pete and really well done !

Ta.

Well played. Do you always have a caddy or was it just for this comp?

No never had one before, but wanted one for this final.

I thought you had turned pro for a minute:D

Turned poor more like, Tony.

Great effort. Very strong mind to ignore everything before and during the round to get the job done. Very impressed

Having my missus and a few friends there helped, didnt want to let them down, either.

Feel those putter woes, sometimes I just can't get a straight line! Out of interest, why did you lose the 3 wood?

I'm very straight with my 1 iron, but not as long on a soft muddy parkland, but thought if the driver carries on misbehaving, I can go to it and possibly only give up 25-30 yards.

I actually drove the ball great in the end and hit 13 fairways (or first cuts) and hit 3 out of the 5 par 3 greens also.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Preparation?! Mine is usually a skinful of booze and a kebab at 4am. First full swing is on the first tee!

Well done on the win Pete. Hope none of this form travels to Ireland next week :ears:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Nice one Pete!

Just checked, and can't see your name on the Race to Dubai... or the Race to Birkenhead