Sergio DQ'd

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do you mean like Hatton has already done :rolleyes: - what was his punishment?

Garcia was DQ - lost any prize money he was going to get , he has been punished , now time to move on , player has already been punished.
Not really the point in my opinion and a multi offender. It's time for the ET to take a stand and introduce a transparent and clear code of conduct with a list of punishments. Certainly on a totting up score over the years and the serious nature of the offences this week, a ban, even an arbitrary one of one event, would send a clear message to Garcia that his petulance can't continue. It would also act as a deterrent, in line with the code of conduct, send a message to all other players. It would also be good for the game to be seen to be clearly self-managing any issues

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Damaging the greens is one thing and has been dealt with - that's it. The only reason to see the video is to confirm what we already know and whilst it ma be interesting, I don't think any further action is required.

As for the video link above, I've seen lots of petulant behavior (from boths Pros & Ams), I understand it's not great optics for the 'youth' etc., but if we punish this we have to punish everyone who demonstrates frustration (hitting tee markers, throwing clubs, kicking bags, swearing in anger etc.). I found the video amusing and relate-able. Damaging the greens, not so much.

Wolf

Visit site
Remember watching Sky few years back and Sergio hit a tee shot to par 3, hated the shot promptly turned round and launched the offending club straight in the the lake behind the tee. He has a history of petulance and regardless of being DQ'd incidents like this damaging the course and the image of the game should have a further sanction because hitting him with a DQ and loss of tournament earnings in a case like this doesn't have much impact on a multi millionaire.

If it was his first offence OK DQ let it slide but his incidents are numerous over the years. Would people be happy if a member at their club did this but only got a DQ from the medal.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What about his appearance fee?
Happy to be corrected but as I understand it the ET members didn't get appearance fees, only the US players such as DJ did. This was given as a reason that Rory didn't go, he would not have been given a fee and felt it unreasonable that others did when he is a major draw. I think I heard that on The Cut the other week. It may have been supposition regarding Rory but the point about Sergio's fee, or non fee would still stand.

As I say though, no issue with being wrong on this one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really the point in my opinion and a multi offender. It's time for the ET to take a stand and introduce a transparent and clear code of conduct with a list of punishments. Certainly on a totting up score over the years and the serious nature of the offences this week, a ban, even an arbitrary one of one event, would send a clear message to Garcia that his petulance can't continue. It would also act as a deterrent, in line with the code of conduct, send a message to all other players. It would also be good for the game to be seen to be clearly self-managing any issues
Agree. Whatever punishment he's had in the past has obviously not deterred him at all because he's still throwing clubs and damaging greens. Give him a ban.

mister v

Visit site
If it had been a lesser known player damaging greens then i'd bet by bottom dollar that the ET would have handed out a suspension as well as a DQ.
Im a Sergio fan, and i have had the odd golf related head fit in my time , but damaging greens is just not on.
Eventually a video will surface and he'll feel rather silly ............. a bit like spitting in the golf hole??????? what the F88k was all that about

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Happy to be corrected but as I understand it the ET members didn't get appearance fees, only the US players such as DJ did. This was given as a reason that Rory didn't go, he would not have been given a fee and felt it unreasonable that others did when he is a major draw. I think I heard that on The Cut the other week. It may have been supposition regarding Rory but the point about Sergio's fee, or non fee would still stand.

As I say though, no issue with being wrong on this one.

I was just poking the beast! 😂

No idea if there was any sort of "fee" official or not involved but I wouldn't be surprised given it's a new tournament with a good few stars playing.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Relating this incident to a reactionary one off club chuck or hit a tee marker is nonsense, this is 5 greens hes damaged in the one round of golf!!

I don’t mind the odd outburst/hissy fit or whatever you want to call it as long as the player has a word with himself then calms down and gets back to playing, like we see pretty regularly on tour and on our own courses but to deliberately damage 5 greens is the worst I’ve heard of and a simple DQ is not enough, he should be given a ban and let everyone including him know that it’s not acceptable regardless of who you are.

He’s basically getting the same punishment as someone forgetting to sign their card and some on here are defending the decision!! Unbelievable but if this was a certain American golfer doing it the same people would be on here wanting him hung, drawn & quartered!!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I don't necessarily disagree but I don't think they are likely to publish any list of offences and set punishments. The rules of golf allow for DQ and that's what they've applied. If you publish a set list of fines and suspensions, you just set yourself up with a hill to die on for other incidents that may be fairly trivial or even marginal in what actually took place.

I do think Garcia has gotten off lightly and am still amazed that an experienced golfer would act in this way. But I don't think he will do it again and ultimately these incidents are so rare that a list of set bans would be used almost never.

And I would also say that in previous years, the governing bodies have found ways around the rules of golf applying a DQ - in order to let high profile players stay in events. Tiger's drop at the Masters in 2013. Also over the weekend in Phoenix, several incidents (similar to Haitong Li) have ultimately gone unpunished, purely because the tournament officials didn't want to apply the rules to a raft of high profile players. So the fact that he was DQ'd quickly and without any attempt to try and wriggle out of it should be noted in the Tour's favour here.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't necessarily disagree but I don't think they are likely to publish any list of offences and set punishments. The rules of golf allow for DQ and that's what they've applied. If you publish a set list of fines and suspensions, you just set yourself up with a hill to die on for other incidents that may be fairly trivial or even marginal in what actually took place.

I do think Garcia has gotten off lightly and am still amazed that an experienced golfer would act in this way. But I don't think he will do it again and ultimately these incidents are so rare that a list of set bans would be used almost never.

And I would also say that in previous years, the governing bodies have found ways around the rules of golf applying a DQ - in order to let high profile players stay in events. Tiger's drop at the Masters in 2013. Also over the weekend in Phoenix, several incidents (similar to Haitong Li) have ultimately gone unpunished, purely because the tournament officials didn't want to apply the rules to a raft of high profile players. So the fact that he was DQ'd quickly and without any attempt to try and wriggle out of it should be noted in the Tour's favour here.
I was actually muting an idea of a list of rules/punishments to be drawn up by the ET for their members so they know where they stand and not for public consumption. I feel the ET have simply taken an easy option here and had it been another lesser player there would have been more serious repurcussions

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I was actually muting an idea of a list of rules/punishments to be drawn up by the ET for their members so they know where they stand and not for public consumption. I feel the ET have simply taken an easy option here and had it been another lesser player there would have been more serious repurcussions

Like I said, I don't disagree with that - but I just feel there is no way they will draw this up or publish it. There are too many shades of grey with incidents like this and they do happen so infrequently that it is sensible enough that they just deal with incidents on a case by case basis.

You can just imagine at a Challenge Tour event with no cameras, a similar incident (and subsequent dispute) being very difficult to resolve and relying on hearsay, other players and caddies being asked to 'drop their mate in it', inconclusive camera phone images etc etc. And ultimately they have a rule that says they have to ban someone for 3 months that could pretty much finish a guys career.

It's just a wasps nest if you ask me, which is why it won't happen.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m curious as to how he damaged the green. It could have been a slam of the base of the putter, a strike into the ground with the end of the putter, or a kick of the turf with spiked shoes. I think knowing that would influence my perception.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m curious as to how he damaged the green. It could have been a slam of the base of the putter, a strike into the ground with the end of the putter, or a kick of the turf with spiked shoes. I think knowing that would influence my perception.

Read that he was dragging his feet. Strange behaviour to say the least.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Yes - as gary said, dragging feet.
And also one incident of the putter taking a lump out of the green.

It does beggar belief that he would do this. Or what he was thinking when he was doing it. Protesting at the set up or the event?
Didn't see that anyone was complaining about the set up. The greens were apparently on the slow side, but this was because of undulations and proximity to the water meant the wind could get up a bit.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Imagine if this was Tiger. There would be lynch mobs out with hanging rope.

This has delayed Sergio's nomination for RC captain 10 years. :p
If it was Tiger the internet would brake.
I found the bunker tantrum quite funny 😁