Sergio DQ'd

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Very intriguing that there are no videos come to light. I'd imagine these must exist.

European Tour obviously do their own global feed - but perhaps Sky were just taking their pictures and adding their commentary and the odd interview over the top of it. Depending on the set up they had on the ground, they maybe only kept a recording of stuff they actually broadcast. So maybe Sky don't have any videos.

If the ET have these and have not published them, they basically own Sergio now. I'd be expecting to see him appear at a few Euro events he wouldn't normally have bothered with.

As for the DQ, i'd imagine a fine and maybe a suspended ban at worst.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very intriguing that there are no videos come to light. I'd imagine these must exist.

European Tour obviously do their own global feed - but perhaps Sky were just taking their pictures and adding their commentary and the odd interview over the top of it. Depending on the set up they had on the ground, they maybe only kept a recording of stuff they actually broadcast. So maybe Sky don't have any videos.

If the ET have these and have not published them, they basically own Sergio now. I'd be expecting to see him appear at a few Euro events he wouldn't normally have bothered with.

As for the DQ, i'd imagine a fine and maybe a suspended ban at worst.
European Tour Productions tend to provide all the pictures for these events (so essentially their own camera staff) and and so I'd suggest have some control over the feeds.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
European Tour Productions tend to provide all the pictures for these events (so essentially their own camera staff) and and so I'd suggest have some control over the feeds.

Yes - but do they just give Sky a live feed and that's all Sky get / can record?
Or do Sky get all recorded images and they can cut their own edit live. (I'd guess this is not the case or Sky would have some coverage of Sergio and would have published it by now).

I know that the BBC would not cover an event unless they were able to do the 2nd option, e.g the Masters - where I've noticed a different edit with usually a greater focus on GB players.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
They must record a hell of a lot more than they show on TV, in-case someone shoots a 59 or does something crazy. They always seem to show crazy long putts and holed wedges from people way down the leaderboard on the broadcast, so I'd be amazed if they have no footage of Sergio damaging the course given he did it on so many holes. They clearly just don't want to share it.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
They must record a hell of a lot more than they show on TV, in-case someone shoots a 59 or does something crazy. They always seem to show crazy long putts and holed wedges from people way down the leaderboard on the broadcast, so I'd be amazed if they have no footage of Sergio damaging the course given he did it on so many holes. They clearly just don't want to share it.

I'd be fairly certain the ET will have footage of this and obviously they don't want to share it.

if Sky had footage, they would have shown it.

I'd imagine it works like this. Sky get a workable edit of the leaders and prominent moments, and if anyone not in contention holes out from 150 yards or has a crazy lie behind a cactus or something, the ET will fling that to them as well.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He was out very early in the day and it all happened on the front nine, so highly likely they weren't recording anything. I read a decent overview of it earlier

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf...e-ban-over-damaging-greens-in-saudi-1-4866884

No further sanctions against him, seems rather lame to me.

Struck me as a bit weird too, unless it signals a new approach where players will face disciplinary steps at the tournament and then draw a line under any and all misconduct issues with no additional review (but I think that is quite dangerous precedent, after all misconduct doesn't get much more serious than "serious misconduct")

So even for premeditated intentional damage (every green he did it on after the first one was premeditated) providing the player says sorry a few hours later then it wont be taken further, meaning as far as player conduct is concerned pretty anything goes really. They get a DQ then move on to the next week

edit: No way to qualify it of course but I have this niggling feeling that if it was one of golf lesser stars of the ET we'd be seeing further action (fine, suspension etc) being taken against a player guilty of "serious misconduct" and it seem at least one player agrees...

• "The Rules of Golf are there for everyone, and it doesn't matter, or it shouldn't matter, who breaks them…” Sergio Garcia last week
  • "It is always nice for Keith to look after us but, at the same time, you've got to be careful because if you start making exceptions here and there, then where do you stop? Sergio Garcia last week

Last edited:

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just saw a video on a Facebook page (Golf Hype) that supposedly shows Garcia losing it after a poor (for him, OK for me) bunker shot, this was the day before the DQ.

D

Deleted member 15344

Watched the bunker stuff happen - his first shot went into the back of the bunker ame plugged because it looked like it hadn’t been raked very well , the commentary team even said the ball shouldn’t end up there - he very nearly got out but it stayed in and the video is the second shot. He was raging about the state of the bunker and it being poorly raked - ended up with a par though and was laughing as his finished the hole. A few times he said that the state of the course wasn’t great.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Garcia is just a tosser really. Has a long history of petulance. Damaging as many as 5 greens isn't just one moment of madness, that's a permanent tantrum. I only support him during the Ryder Cup, rest of the time I have no time for him whatsoever.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Watched the bunker stuff happen - his first shot went into the back of the bunker ame plugged because it looked like it hadn’t been raked very well , the commentary team even said the ball shouldn’t end up there - he very nearly got out but it stayed in and the video is the second shot. He was raging about the state of the bunker and it being poorly raked - ended up with a par though and was laughing as his finished the hole. A few times he said that the state of the course wasn’t great.

All irrelevant in my view. Sergio is a professional, he is a role model and loads of people especially kids look up to him. He's a fantastic golfer and a major champion. That sort of outburst at that level is just nonsense.

I've cut him slack when he was younger and maybe "less mature and aware of his role and responsibilities as a professional sports star" but there is absolutely no excuse for that and what subsequently followed.

Personally I'd like to have seen a ban and would now like to hear the thought process that decided against a ban.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All irrelevant in my view. Sergio is a professional, he is a role model and loads of people especially kids look up to him. He's a fantastic golfer and a major champion. That sort of outburst at that level is just nonsense.

I've cut him slack when he was younger and maybe "less mature and aware of his role and responsibilities as a professional sports star" but there is absolutely no excuse for that and what subsequently followed.

Personally I'd like to have seen a ban and would now like to hear the thought process that decided against a ban.
Definitely. He has a long history of petulance but there is no excuse for that sort of extended inappropriate behaviour and by not handing out a punishment the ET has made a rod for its own back. What happens when a lesser member of the tour does something similar on the greens or displays another outburst of anger and frustration. Will they get treated as leniently? I'm not 100% sure. I'd like to have seen the ET put a marker down on this type of behaviour

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Definitely. He has a long history of petulance but there is no excuse for that sort of extended inappropriate behaviour and by not handing out a punishment the ET has made a rod for its own back. What happens when a lesser member of the tour does something similar on the greens or displays another outburst of anger and frustration. Will they get treated as leniently? I'm not 100% sure. I'd like to have seen the ET put a marker down on this type of behaviour

Its fair game now, if you're having a bad day you can slice one off the tee then smash the tee marker with your club and move on to do similar on the next tee, you'll finish the round and get a DQ but can rock up the following week no problem, its all about attracting a younger audience to try golf and letting them see how much fun you can have :sneaky:

sunshine

Visit site
European Tour Productions provide the cameras and feeds to all broadcasters. They have a tv tower behind every green, so capture all approaches and shots on and around the green (although some shots are missed if the golfer is hidden in a bunker, behind a tree etc). Additionally they have fixed cameras up in cranes and ground crews following key groups.

The European Tour definitely has the recordings of Garcia damaging the greens from the greenside tv towers, but has chosen to be discrete. I don't believe this is the right decision, I expect this is driven by the desire to protect the reputation of this Saudi tournament, which has already been very controversial, and the venue which presented a course which was not up to scratch.

If this was the Open, where there are almost 200 cameras on the course (although 198 of them following Tiger), there would be multiple views of Garcia. I'm speculating but I think ETP would have played the footage.

D

Deleted member 15344

Its fair game now, if you're having a bad day you can slice one off the tee then smash the tee marker with your club and move on to do similar on the next tee, you'll finish the round and get a DQ but can rock up the following week no problem, its all about attracting a younger audience to try golf and letting them see how much fun you can have :sneaky:

Do you mean like Hatton has already done :rolleyes: - what was his punishment?

Garcia was DQ - lost any prize money he was going to get , he has been punished , now time to move on , player has already been punished.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do you mean like Hatton has already done :rolleyes: - what was his punishment?

Garcia was DQ - lost any prize money he was going to get , he has been punished , now time to move on , player has already been punished.

Not familiar with Hatton one (but yeah I'd like to have seen some kind of fine/suspension if he damaged several tee markers) Serious misconduct is serious misconduct, a simple DQ doesn't quite cover the crime
He may have lost his prize pot (for what it would be) but its reported he'll keep his appearance money (prob larger than his prize money anyway) but we all know its not really a money thing its docking shots and bans that will hit them not 50k for a multi millionaire