Sergio DQ'd

sunshine

Visit site
Yes - as gary said, dragging feet.
And also one incident of the putter taking a lump out of the green.

It does beggar belief that he would do this. Or what he was thinking when he was doing it. Protesting at the set up or the event?
Didn't see that anyone was complaining about the set up. The greens were apparently on the slow side, but this was because of undulations and proximity to the water meant the wind could get up a bit.

Given the huge appearance fees, they could have been putting on a ploughed field and you wouldn't hear a peep of complaint from the pro's. There's always one though...

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes - as gary said, dragging feet.
And also one incident of the putter taking a lump out of the green.

It does beggar belief that he would do this. Or what he was thinking when he was doing it. Protesting at the set up or the event?
Didn't see that anyone was complaining about the set up. The greens were apparently on the slow side, but this was because of undulations and proximity to the water meant the wind could get up a bit.

Dragging feet sounds both childishly intentional and premeditated. He really needs to come out and explain himself.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
BBC have an article about the difference in class between Garcia and Fowler. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/47119588

They make a few good points about how pointless suspending him would be. The next tournament he is suspended from is going to be annoyed to not have a marquee player, and Garcia can just go play on the PGA tour, which I think he probably will do for the rest of the seas now.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
BBC have an article about the difference in class between Garcia and Fowler. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/47119588

They make a few good points about how pointless suspending him would be. The next tournament he is suspended from is going to be annoyed to not have a marquee player, and Garcia can just go play on the PGA tour, which I think he probably will do for the rest of the seas now.

They should ban him from the Open.

This is a tournament that wont miss his draw, and knowing how much he loves it, the punishment will leave a real sting!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Listened to the NLU pod breaking down the weekends events and they were pretty scathing of Sergio and made a good point comparing it to Simon Dyson, who was banned for 2 months for a breach of the same rule. Also alluded to a few stories of Sergio's behaviour that they've heard from Tour players that they weren't willing to discuss, one in particular from The Open, would be very interested to hear those stories. Still find it baffling that the DQ is the end of his punishment, and that there seems no sign of a further fine or ban.

Visit site
Not read all of this thread, so sorry if already been mentioned, but I heard that the group behind complained to an official about the damage?

Not sure why their moaning, the new rules legislates that spike marks can be repaired ☺

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not read all of this thread, so sorry if already been mentioned, but I heard that the group behind complained to an official about the damage?

Not sure why their moaning, the new rules legislates that spike marks can be repaired ☺
True but Sergio dragged his feet so a bit more than spike marks and more damage than someone should need to repair.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How come there’s been no evidence in this day and age everything is online within minutes of happening.
The ET have bottled it and need to review this .
They ban one player but not another because of his “status” that’s poor.
If that was at my club you would be out the door.

D

Deleted member 15344

How come there’s been no evidence in this day and age everything is online within minutes of happening.
The ET have bottled it and need to review this .
They ban one player but not another because of his “status” that’s poor.
If that was at my club you would be out the door.

Sorry but who did they ban ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simon Dyson was charged with the same offence .
But the circumstances were different as I remember he was actually repairing a spike mark he shouldn’t have been.
Not damaging them.
Well that's not even the same offence then. The Garcia one is multiple times worse.

D

Deleted member 15344

Simon Dyson was charged with the same offence .
But the circumstances were different as I remember he was actually repairing a spike mark he shouldn’t have been.
Not damaging them.

It’s totally different circumstance and nowhere near comparable - Dyson was deemed to be improving his line ( potentially cheating ) - that’s why he was banned.

Are people really trying to compare the two ?!

Garcia was DQ for an offence - i don’t believe he was “charged” with anything where as Dyson was after the event and again a totally different situation.

It’s certainly not a case of banning the little guy whilst the star gets away with it

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s totally different circumstance and nowhere near comparable - Dyson was deemed to be improving his line ( potentially cheating ) - that’s why he was banned.

Are people really trying to compare the two ?!

Garcia was DQ for an offence - i don’t believe he was “charged” with anything where as Dyson was after the event and again a totally different situation.

It’s certainly not a case of banning the little guy whilst the star gets away with it

Dyson was charged with violating the tours code and given a suspended ban and told any other rule break he will serve his ban.

Garcia should get the same imo for his first green damage .
Then subsequent damage should be looked at.
He’s a spoilt brat who is getting away with damaging the workplace of other pros.

On your last point I think that’s exactly what it is.[/QUOTE]

D

Deleted member 15344

Dyson was taping down marks on his line to try and get a better line for his putt - pretty much cheating

Garcia was acting like a child and throwing a strop and any damage he caused in that could be repaired by the players to ensure it didn’t affect their game - it some ways Hattons slaming his putter down was worse because they couldn’t repair

Dysons action possibly changed the results of comps and it was cheating breaking golf rules - Garcia - just stupid and just broke etiquette and behaviour standards

The golf rule break far more serious

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My view
A spur of the moment rage can be overlooked,( did he get in trouble after his bunker antics? ) what Sergio did in damaging multiple greens over a couple of hours is inexcusable.

It’s wanton vandalism , be should be banned for a period of time and this should include the PGA tour.

He needs to grow up