Sergio DQ'd

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that's not even the same offence then. The Garcia one is multiple times worse.
He was charged with “serious breach of the tours code”
I think Garcia’s would come under that as well.imo.

It does beg the question “why hasn’t he been charged”?.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Dyson was charged with violating the tours code and given a suspended ban and told any other rule break he will serve his ban.

Garcia should get the same imo for his first green damage .
Then subsequent damage should be looked at.
He’s a spoilt brat who is getting away with damaging the workplace of other pros.

On your last point I think that’s exactly what it is.

He got DQ from a tournament for misconduct

Dyson got his sanction for a serious breach of the code of conduct by deliberately breaking rules of golf and gaining ad advantage- he got lucky because they decided he wasn’t doing it on purpose

It’s two totally separate situations and should be treated differently

If people want to compare any situations then compare the Hatton one with Garcia

Hattons smashed a tee marker , he slammed down his putter on multiple greens ( which did potentially make indentations on the green ) - he was given nothing , Garcia DQ and no doubt been given a warning to ensure it doesn’t happen again - apologised and no move on. It seems these days people aren’t happy until they seen further punishments

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Garcia was acting like a child and throwing a strop and any damage he caused in that could be repaired by the players to ensure it didn’t affect their game - it some ways Hattons slaming his putter down was worse because they couldn’t repair
You can't have seen the 'scrape' that is being attributed to Garcia then? A golf journalist went back to one of the greens and took a picture of it. Anyone having to putt over that would not be happy, it is clearly going to impact on the putt and was not repairable by any golfer coming up afterwards.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Dyson got his sanction for a serious breach of the code of conduct by deliberately breaking rules of golf and gaining ad advantage- he got lucky because they decided he wasn’t doing it on purpose

If people want to compare any situations then compare the Hatton one with Garcia

Hattons smashed a tee marker , he slammed down his putter on multiple greens ( which did potentially make indentations on the green ) - he was given nothing , Garcia DQ and no doubt been given a warning to ensure it doesn’t happen again - apologised and no move on. It seems these days people aren’t happy until they seen further punishments

How are they remotely similar? Hatton smashing a tee marker has no impact on the rest of the field or the playing conditions. Garcia making divots in and dragging his feet across greens isn't just a petulant act of rage but it could directly impact the other competitors who have to play on the greens he'd just damaged. Also, it could be excused if it was a one-off incident where he caused damage to the green and instantly regretted it, that's not the case here, he caused deliberate damage to a number of greens over an extended period of time. Utterly inexcusable and I don't think the punishment from the European Tour fits the crime.

D

Deleted member 15344

You can't have seen the 'scrape' that is being attributed to Garcia then? A golf journalist went back to one of the greens and took a picture of it. Anyone having to putt over that would not be happy, it is clearly going to impact on the putt and was not repairable by any golfer coming up afterwards.

I have seen the picture that was taken the next day and there has been no proof that it was the damage done by Garcia - hence the use of the word “apparently” , until that’s proven to be what Garcia did then it’s cant be treated as gospel

And if anyone had to putt over that I suspect they would have been given relief from it due to abnormal ground conditions etc and any scrape mark he did could be repaired

Garcia was a a child he had a tantrum and he caused some damage - he was DQ under the ET rules and he has apologised- what does a ban achieve ? He hasn’t been charged with anything , it’s done , he will be in no doubt to be careful in the future and his reputation right now has been damaged - time to move on

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hatton should have been sanctioned as well that just shows how weak the powers that run golf are.
Because Hatton never does not mean any other golfer doing damage to the course shouldn’t be.

But they would be charged under the tours conduct rule so punishment would be similar.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dyson was taping down marks on his line to try and get a better line for his putt - pretty much cheating

Garcia was acting like a child and throwing a strop and any damage he caused in that could be repaired by the players to ensure it didn’t affect their game - it some ways Hattons slaming his putter down was worse because they couldn’t repair

Dysons action possibly changed the results of comps and it was cheating breaking golf rules - Garcia - just stupid and just broke etiquette and behaviour standards

The golf rule break far more serious
Haha, you do talk some rubbish. It's very clear from this and from back at the time of the Ryder Cup selections that you're a massive Sergio fan, but you need to be more objective here. Deliberately damaging greens affects all the other players and goes against the very spirit of the game. You must not have seen the damage that was shown in one photo a few pages back in this thread, there's no way a following player could have repaired that. Sustained damage like this is absolutely mindless behaviour and he should be banned. You can argue it's not worse than Dyson's cheating perhaps - but it is at the very least as bad as that.

If someone at your course damaged as many as five greens on purpose during their round, you'd be happy if they were DQed and back playing again next week? Potentially in the group in front of you?

D

Deleted member 15344

How are they remotely similar? Hatton smashing a tee marker has no impact on the rest of the field or the playing conditions. Garcia making divots in and dragging his feet across greens isn't just a petulant act of rage but it could directly impact the other competitors who have to play on the greens he'd just damaged. Also, it could be excused if it was a one-off incident where he caused damage to the green and instantly regretted it, that's not the case here, he caused deliberate damage to a number of greens over an extended period of time. Utterly inexcusable and I don't think the punishment from the European Tour fits the crime.

This is what some of the players said -

Rock said: "It was scuff marks and also a mark that appeared to have been made by what looked to have been a putter. Scuff marks really show up on these grainy greens. Even if you drag the sole of your shoe without meaning to, it pulls up the grass.

"The greens are good with no bald patches and scuff marks certainly show up. Like everyone else, I did not know who it was. I wasn't sure if it was one person or more people. I have spoken to Sergio about it. He faced up to it and we are fine. Everyone makes a mistake at some point."

Paratore added: "I was not complaining. It was a bad day for him and I saw only one hole when he was doing something wrong. I don't remember what it was. I was focused on what I was doing. But it is okay.

"I know him really well and he's a very good guy off the course. It can happen to everyone."

So the ET have deemed it sorted , his fellow players don’t seem to want anything further - and Hatton did more than just smash a tee marker

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Is that really accurate?

Wasn't garcia 'serious' misconduct and Dyson was a serious breach of the code of behaviour?

probably just an innocent omission from you but it does have the happy coincidence of making dysons seem worse than garcia's when it's actually the other way round

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have seen the picture that was taken the next day and there has been no proof that it was the damage done by Garcia - hence the use of the word “apparently” , until that’s proven to be what Garcia did then it’s cant be treated as gospel

And if anyone had to putt over that I suspect they would have been given relief from it due to abnormal ground conditions etc and any scrape mark he did could be repaired

Garcia was a a child he had a tantrum and he caused some damage - he was DQ under the ET rules and he has apologised- what does a ban achieve ? He hasn’t been charged with anything , it’s done , he will be in no doubt to be careful in the future and his reputation right now has been damaged - time to move on
It would be a punishment that would hopefully make him think twice about doing it again. It would also signal to anyone else not to do the same. It is the reason bans happen in any sport. A mixture of punishment and deterrent for doing something that is to the detrement of the sport, the field, fellow pro's etc

No one is treating it as gospel but it is a pretty reasonable assumption, the facts fit. That gouge is not being repaired in a hurry.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haha, you do talk some rubbish. It's very clear from this and from back at the time of the Ryder Cup selections that you're a massive Sergio fan, but you need to be more objective here. Deliberately damaging greens affects all the other players and goes against the very spirit of the game. You must not have seen the damage that was shown in one photo a few pages back in this thread, there's no way a following player could have repaired that. Sustained damage like this is absolutely mindless behaviour and he should be banned. You can argue it's not worse than Dyson's cheating perhaps - but it is at the very least as bad as that.

If someone at your course damaged as many as five greens on purpose during their round, you'd be happy if they were DQed and back playing again next week? Potentially in the group in front of you?

I have always been a fan of Garcia’s but his behaviour does not show a very good example I wonder what Seve would have said to him after this episode.
He has dropped in my estimation and any juniors watching will be surprised you can get away with it.

He’s had problems on and off the course over the years ,but you can’t do this and he needs putting in his place.
And anybody else who does things like this.

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey - you don’t half overreact don’t you

No I’m not a “massive fan” of Garcia - I like him as golfer and thought he would raise his game for the Ryder Cup

Was it yesterday where you were telling people you were just giving an opinion on the rules - guess what I’m just giving my opinion on the incident - so please don’t go around telling people they talk rubbish just because you don’t agree with it - you will then lose your high ground when people reciprocate when you start your angry typing

He was DQ by the ET from the competition which hit him financially in the pocket with lose of earnings - he put his hands up , said sorry to the players who clearly seem to have accepted it as does the ET - people can either dwell on it stamping their feet , throwing their teddies demanding more or they can accept the governing body has dealt with it and now it’s time to move on.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is what some of the players said -

Rock said: "It was scuff marks and also a mark that appeared to have been made by what looked to have been a putter. Scuff marks really show up on these grainy greens. Even if you drag the sole of your shoe without meaning to, it pulls up the grass.

"The greens are good with no bald patches and scuff marks certainly show up. Like everyone else, I did not know who it was. I wasn't sure if it was one person or more people. I have spoken to Sergio about it. He faced up to it and we are fine. Everyone makes a mistake at some point."

Paratore added: "I was not complaining. It was a bad day for him and I saw only one hole when he was doing something wrong. I don't remember what it was. I was focused on what I was doing. But it is okay.

"I know him really well and he's a very good guy off the course. It can happen to everyone."

So the ET have deemed it sorted , his fellow players don’t seem to want anything further - and Hatton did more than just smash a tee marker
So if other players think this is ok ,,that’s OK then.
The course dosnt belong to them!
If they havnt got the balls to call him out the tour won’t either.

That’s a joke how long can that last.
Next time anyone is up on a “serious” misconduct charge they will have a precedent the “Sergio defence”

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blimey - you don’t half overreact don’t you

No I’m not a “massive fan” of Garcia - I like him as golfer and thought he would raise his game for the Ryder Cup

Was it yesterday where you were telling people you were just giving an opinion on the rules - guess what I’m just giving my opinion on the incident - so please don’t go around telling people they talk rubbish just because you don’t agree with it - you will then lose your high ground when people reciprocate when you start your angry typing

He was DQ by the ET from the competition which hit him financially in the pocket with lose of earnings - he put his hands up , said sorry to the players who clearly seem to have accepted it as does the ET - people can either dwell on it stamping their feet , throwing their teddies demanding more or they can accept the governing body has dealt with it and now it’s time to move on.
Angry? I don't think so, if you talking rubbish made me angry I'd be in a state of permanent rage on here! :ROFLMAO:

Yes I'm sure that minor loss of earnings hit him really hard. Maybe he'll have to sell one of his cars? The only deterrent is to give him a ban. We've seen him frequently bending and breaking clubs, even throwing his shoes around which nearly hit a spectator. The DQ won't deter him one iota, he'll keep behaving like a brat.

The other players probably just felt like they'd rather have a bit of decorum and not openly criticise another golfer. Decorum being something Garcia sadly lacks.

Wolf

Visit site
Not one person has replied to what I and Clubchamp98 have asked on this thread.

If someone did this at your club in medal would anyone be happy to accept the player got a DQ from a medal and that's it no ban for damage to course a simple sorry your score doesn't count this week. If it were me I'd expect my club to sanction someone thus I expect the tour to do the same.

Sergio is a multimillionaire so losing earnings for one week of petulance isn't really an issue to him.

Players forgive him, so what they're not running the tour for the greater good of all. Sergio may have apologised, he may regret it but the tour taking no real action to show this won't be tolerated has set a precedent for people. If this happens again with another player they cannot sanction them either other than a DQ. He should get a ban from competition for a number of events relating to the tour. If he is off to the US and doesn't come back here till the big events start in September then that's when his ban should start missing those events thus jeopardising his tour membership would make him realise what a knob he has been and that he isn't bigger than the tour.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not one person has replied to what I and Clubchamp98 have asked on this thread.

If someone did this at your club in medal would anyone be happy to accept the player got a DQ from a medal and that's it no ban for damage to course a simple sorry your score doesn't count this week. If it were me I'd expect my club to sanction someone thus I expect the tour to do the same.

Sergio is a multimillionaire so losing earnings for one week of petulance isn't really an issue to him.

Players forgive him, so what they're not running the tour for the greater good of all. Sergio may have apologised, he may regret it but the tour taking no real action to show this won't be tolerated has set a precedent for people. If this happens again with another player they cannot sanction them either other than a DQ. He should get a ban from competition for a number of events relating to the tour. If he is off to the US and doesn't come back here till the big events start in September then that's when his ban should start missing those events thus jeopardising his tour membership would make him realise what a knob he has been and that he isn't bigger than the tour.

We have had members damage greens from throwing clubs or kicking something etc - one went and spoke to a greenkeeper - he apologised was warned , something took a divot out of a green in a fit of frustration, again warned. But then golf for us is different- it’s our hobby , for them it’s their job

He has been sanctioned - you and others may not like the sanction but it’s happened and move on , it’s complete clap trap to suggest that a precedent has been set for further incidents to be excused etc etc

I have no doubt stuff has gone on behind doors , his rep has taken a hit , he may lose out in other ways but for Christ sake we are supposed to be a forgiving society -he has apologised - the people that matter have accepted it , move on

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I amazed that nothing happens to players having tantrums like babies in the bunkers. he should have been DQ'd after the outburst in the bunker.

If that isn't a serious breech of etiquette, I don't know what is.

You are not supposed to ground your club in theses things and here we have guys beating the sand like a dusty rug.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have had members damage greens from throwing clubs or kicking something etc - one went and spoke to a greenkeeper - he apologised was warned , something took a divot out of a green in a fit of frustration, again warned. But then golf for us is different- it’s our hobby , for them it’s their job

He has been sanctioned - you and others may not like the sanction but it’s happened and move on , it’s complete clap trap to suggest that a precedent has been set for further incidents to be excused etc etc

I have no doubt stuff has gone on behind doors , his rep has taken a hit , he may lose out in other ways but for Christ sake we are supposed to be a forgiving society -he has apologised - the people that matter have accepted it , move on
That is different. You've described some one of incidents from the heat of the moment. I think we can all forgive people that. In Sergio's case it's systematic and deliberate damage of multiple greens. Different kettle of fish entirely.