Season reflection and Winter Plans

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Despite a pretty bad year on the health front, well health that affects golf like eye issues and vertigo, I've maintained a 12 handicap so it can't be too bad and that I'm generally hitting the ball well after a couple of lessons with an ex tour pro.

Winter league starts soon and I'm still trying hard to get my handicap down despite picking up my state pension in a couple of months so plenty of hard winter work - as usual!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Keep the short game ticking over and lots of indoor putting practice

Lots of wedge distance work (was a good + point this year)

But I MUST improve my long game and get some consistency particularly driving

May even have the odd lesson

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mixed bag this season. Played more golf than i ever have and really enjoyed it. Feel like every step forward is followed by steps back. I just want a more consistent swing, stop the duffs/tops, get a bit of extra distance...

Winter plans are to try and get a round in when i can but not take scoring too seriously. Will get a lesson or two to try and improve the swing, also a lot more driving range time to stay focused.

D

Deleted member 15344

I dont buy into this ‘kids will ruin your golf’ angle. I’ve come down from 4 to 2 since we had our child. It made me realise golf isn’t everything and it has relaxed me. I also don’t play any less, I just play at more appropriate times - early Saturday mornings and during the week whilst the kid is at nursery

Agree Sam - I still play golf regularly just at times wherebits suitable for all, right now I’m closer to 3 than I ever have been and hopefully a nice finish to the season will get me there

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Season ened with a wimper due to back problems.

No golf this last 6 weeks.

Stretching and core work outs for the forseeable.

Mine started and ended with back problems, plus a shoulder injury.
Quite pleased that (so far) I've managed to remain at 13.3, but with a few qualifiers to go I'll have to have at least one good round.

My aim is to get fit again and to refine the draw I've finally managed to put on my drive.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
My season started well and I dropped 1.4 to 10.2, but after seesawing I have now played my last qualifier and finished on 10.8, I had a few opportunity for really good rounds but each messed up the last couple of holes.
That said I did well in the results department, Ladies Club Champion, won both Captain's and President's prizes and also a local area knockout the NWMGA Founders trophy.

During the winter I want to work on my mid irons which having been letting me down quite often and I will continue to play 3 or 4 times a week weather permitting. I just wish there was a way to sort out the inconsistency in my game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very mixed bag. Handicap wise you'd say mediocre as I started on 14.0 and remain on 14.0 but in there was a win and a second place in there. A brief hospital stay and a short lay off took a lot of the momentum and work I'd done over the winter. Wanted to get lower but there are a lot of positives especially on my short game and putting. Too many car crash holes so winter work is going to include some NLP stuff. The one thing I want to achieve is shallowing the swing and that's already in progress.

I don't enjoy winter golf too much and find playing on sodden courses or temp greens a pain so would rather hit the range and work on my game. I'm actually happier with where I am than the handicap indicates and feel there's a lot I can work on

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First season for me :cool:

First ever handicap. Started at 22 and am currently up to 22.3.

Played in a couple of comps and met some lovely chaps.

I have a massive issue with an inside takeaway, but I feel I'm finally getting it under control.

Driving and short game are priorities for me, as I feel when I get my tee shots right, I can post a half decent score.

Looking forward to the Winter :smirk:

D

Deleted member 1740

Very little golf played this season especially at home, i've not really enjoyed it and lost the bug for it being honest.

Enjoyed all of my away games though and i'm in the regional final of the titliest matchplay in a fortnight's time.

If i never play my home course again i wouldn't be bothered.

Winter plans?? Waiting patiently for a reply from possible new club....

Last edited by a moderator:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree Sam - I still play golf regularly just at times wherebits suitable for all, right now I’m closer to 3 than I ever have been and hopefully a nice finish to the season will get me there

One's easy, two's a little trickier on the logistics front, three ....forget about it!

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Awful season, gone from best ever year in 2016 to almost the worst - not really enjoying playing at all at the moment. So little consistency but occasional indications that the game is still there.

Have started to focus on my short game via drills and taking some stats - establish where I am at and if I can improve it. See how that goes interspersed with a lesson or two.

If anyone knows how to deal with long putt yips (other than suggesting hitting it closer with the approach !) - please let me know - can pull it or push it so far wide it is embarrassing. Getting good in the 6 to 10ft putt range out of necessity but a terrible place to be.

Once I yip my putting confidence takes a massive hit - if I practice it simply does not happen. My direction and speed control from distance is very good but cannot translate it to the course.

Mainly in the head as most of golf is !

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After being hopeful about this season back in April, it turned out to be a disappointment. I still maintain I am twice the golfer I was 2 or 3 years ago, with major improvements to my ball striking, course management and long game off the turf but none of this has resulted in any better scoring. I really did expect a drop in handicap this year. Sadly it did not materialise.
I would like to say I will play throughout the winter but in reality it won't happen. The first time I play in pouring rain, mud up to my ankles, high winds and freezing cold I will know I have better ways to spend my time. Especially when they put us on temporary greens.
I will practice at the range as often as I can and try to work on my chipping if I can find a practice green open. However, what will most likely happen is that I will come back in April and have to start from square one again and this time next year my handicap will be at a similar level.
Clearly I need a warm weather training base. 👍

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best golfing year in a while.

Two great scoring full rounds, one other fun one.

A PB by two shots at the par 3 over 9 holes and a 18, 27 and 36 hole PB set too.

I seem to now be able to go round in 4 over on an averagely OK day when that score used to be a good day score.

This winter brings a little less course golf, normal amount of range time and no lessons. I’m just working on what I learnt this year in preparation for a membership in April. I don’t hook the ball as much and have a decent shape now. I need to practice what I have learnt to keep and embed that shape through the bag.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Some good reads 👍

Middling season currently 7.1 moved down from 8.3, hit it so much better but my weakness is chipping. Spend 2-3hrs a week solely on it, its improving but get the odd card wrecker chipping season mid round to keep me honest and understand your not quiet cured of the anxiety yips :)

Plenty of winter series action, Leamington, Brampton Heath, Staverton Oct, Nov , DEC. Then clubs have a rest Jan, Feb ready for another go at improving my handicap in 2018 👍

Need to get into the #EdenTrophy also 🙏

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Very mixed bag. Handicap wise you'd say mediocre as I started on 14.0 and remain on 14.0 but in there was a win and a second place in there. A brief hospital stay and a short lay off took a lot of the momentum and work I'd done over the winter. Wanted to get lower but there are a lot of positives especially on my short game and putting. Too many car crash holes so winter work is going to include some NLP stuff. The one thing I want to achieve is shallowing the swing and that's already in progress.

I don't enjoy winter golf too much and find playing on sodden courses or temp greens a pain so would rather hit the range and work on my game. I'm actually happier with where I am than the handicap indicates and feel there's a lot I can work on

That's a positive season then! a win is a win! I like to do a lot of mental game work and good way to start is reading Dr bob rotella's books!
but also another good idea is to play winter golf - get some discipline in your game! if you don't like it then learn to - its good to work on your mental game!

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Awful season, gone from best ever year in 2016 to almost the worst - not really enjoying playing at all at the moment. So little consistency but occasional indications that the game is still there.

Have started to focus on my short game via drills and taking some stats - establish where I am at and if I can improve it. See how that goes interspersed with a lesson or two.

If anyone knows how to deal with long putt yips (other than suggesting hitting it closer with the approach !) - please let me know - can pull it or push it so far wide it is embarrassing. Getting good in the 6 to 10ft putt range out of necessity but a terrible place to be.

Once I yip my putting confidence takes a massive hit - if I practice it simply does not happen. My direction and speed control from distance is very good but cannot translate it to the course.

Mainly in the head as most of golf is !

Aim small miss small! Aim to hole every putt! and when I say hole I don't mean ramming them in - I mean just imagine the ball dropping in the cup could be softly, could be hard, could be medium! But for all my putts I do not imagine the Dusty bin lid because more often than not you miss the dusty bin lid. Aim to hole it!

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Some great achievements in these threads! Some disappointments! but we all have one common goal - get that ball in the hole!
Lets keep it going during the winter and come back ready next April!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
One's easy, two's a little trickier on the logistics front, three ....forget about it!
yeah we have our 2nd due just before xmas. but i categorically will not be having a 3rd child. not a chance. More chance of me enjoying watching Spieth hit driver off the tee!