Season reflection and Winter Plans

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
The nights are drawing to a close - the clocks will be going back in a matter of weeks. Goodbye t-shirts and hello Woolley jumpers!

What are your plans for improving over the winter and getting your game ready for the 2018 season?

At Brancepeth we have our winter KO and winter league - which I think I might enter this year - keep up with the competitive edge.
I've arranged a playing lesson with the Pro I get lessons off and we are going to create a winter plan to help improve and engrain the summer changes I have made. So this is looking very positive. W
ith a handicap movement this year from 9 -> 10 -> 7 ->8 -> 6 and back to 7. With the final medal on sat - it could hopefully again be reduced. On reflection its been a good year and very excited to keep practicing, improving and be better again next year! My biggest positive though - I've started to enjoy it more and I'm not as quick to anger as I used to do. :thup:

However with my first child due in January - I feel the winter plan might not stick around for long! :D

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My golf went out of the window when I decided I couldn't balance work, family, djing, football and golf all together as much as I wanted so gave up my membership at my club as it wasn't cost effective as I wasn't playing enough. Guess in total this year I've played 10 times. Forgot about having lessons, haven't been to the range but still enjoyed my social golf when I've squeezed in a round.

No winter plans at all. Clubs are in the garage and may come out maybe 2 or 3 times before thinking about trying to get back into it next March/April time but again socially.

D

Deleted member 18121

My plans are to test/invest in some one length irons..... then work really hard on accuracy.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The nights are drawing to a close - the clocks will be going back in a matter of weeks. Goodbye t-shirts and hello Woolley jumpers!

What are your plans for improving over the winter and getting your game ready for the 2018 season?

At Brancepeth we have our winter KO and winter league - which I think I might enter this year - keep up with the competitive edge.
I've arranged a playing lesson with the Pro I get lessons off and we are going to create a winter plan to help improve and engrain the summer changes I have made. So this is looking very positive. W
ith a handicap movement this year from 9 -> 10 -> 7 ->8 -> 6 and back to 7. With the final medal on sat - it could hopefully again be reduced. On reflection its been a good year and very excited to keep practicing, improving and be better again next year! My biggest positive though - I've started to enjoy it more and I'm not as quick to anger as I used to do. :thup:

However with my first child due in January - I feel the winter plan might not stick around for long! :D

haha you'll be off 12 this time next year :-D only joking though I had my 1st in march and I have to say my golf went to the dogs this year... limited time to practice... a few hefty arguments from HID regarding the golf and your mind is all over the shop

Still managed to get 1 cut with one medal win and 1 more to go and hit buffer a few times too but generally 0.1 was the theme of the year for me.

I am hoping to swing a club a couple of times a week- move into a new house with a garage so swinging at foam balls at 10pm might be my only chance of that haha

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
It's been another poor season for me. I've struggled for consistency all year and i know this is down to having a 2 1/2 year old running around that needs looking after. I just don't have the same time to dedicate to practice and playing like i did. So i've tried not to be too hard on myself but its hard sometimes as i know how solid my game usually is.

My focus this winter will be two fold;

1. Stay on top of where i am with my swing at the moment (I've used this year to try to establish why i hit certain bad shots so i know how to adjust when playing).
2. Focus on improving my putting. I miss too many birdie opportunities and i 3 putt at least once a round.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A great year in terms of finally finding a good long game off the tee. Typically only miss 2 or 3 fairways a round, although H4H day was a disaster. Some great long irons too, which had been off the ball for a few years. Putting average climbed, probably because of more GIR's, but my chipping/pitching totally deserted me. I can even miss a green from 20 yds now, often thinning it through the back.

As for next year....https://www.valledeleste.es/en/golf/club/ I've just got the application forms for Valle Del Este for when we move out at the end of Jan. Having a year round season, in shorts, is something I'm really looking forward to.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
haha - yeah that's what people have been telling me! funny the day we found out we were expecting I shot a one under par gross 69! So I felt positive about it - but I think sleepless nights and all that - I doubt i'll have another one of them again!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Decent season for me overall. I had set a realistic goal of getting handicap down to 15 from 18, with a further goal of getting handicap down to 12.

Season started horribly with many .1's added but then mid season I hit some good form with a number of good scores and have continued with this but just missing out on cuts by a shot or two each week. Happy that I am consistently hitting buffer at the moment. Few qualifying rounds left, hopefully get another cut before the end of the season.

I had a lesson last week, aiming to create a more downward angle of attack. I am quite prone to the odd thin, and worked with the pro to see why this was happening. Played last week and already seeing improvements, did have a few fats though. So I will be working on this over the winter, hopefully increasing my distance control with my irons. Too many times I hit a good drive and end up thinning through the back.

I want to keep on top of my driving as it has been really good and giving me good opportunities.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
my season was pretty crap so i have decided to work on the following;

- making sure the ball is further back in my stance as i tend to play it too far forward leading to inconsistent strikes and lots of thinned shots. 2 range sessions so far and the quality of strike is better, the ball flight is lower and there is a touch of draw on the ball. bad shot now is still a perfectly timed cover drive every so often.

- changing my grip as my hands were too "over the top" and i gripped too tight leading to some pretty drastic hooks.

so far i am happy with my changes but no doubt it will all go tits up on Thursday at Swinley Forest.

the last part i need to work on is my pitching but hopefully the 90 min lesson at The London Club on Friday courtesy of GM will give me something extra to work on over the winter.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well i did get down to single figures if only for one week and I've now finished the competitive season at 10.0 which is 0.1 more than i started.

Plans for the Winter are to play Winter League and when that's not on our weekly roll up and get 100% used to my new irons that are due next week with a view to hitting the ground running next year , getting back to single figures and staying there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Best season for probably 25yrs - if not more. Handicap down from 10 to 8 and played to 8 in first three comps since cut. Semi-finalist in of Scratch K/O. 4th in Club Champs handicap and 9th in Club Champs scratch. Won August medal Div 1. Regularly picking up ££s for 2s in comps. Overall a couple of minor tweaks has game (swing and thinking) feeling in a better place than possibly ever - and feeling like something with a bit of work that could see my handicap a bit lower.

So for Winter. Entered 4bbb winter league and singles k/o. Maybe will have a couple of assessments or lessons on our new (this year) swing studio.

And will look forward to next season with much anticipation :)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just crept up to 9.5, back out of single figures for the first time in 4 years...I reckon I've got 6 more qulaifiers I can play before year end.....that should take me to 10.1. a 1 shot increase in the annual review should be a formality. Then in the new year I can toss off another 7 0.1s by the end of March which should take me to 11.8 and the resulting "exceptionally bad scoring" increase will put me off 13.

Then i will be ready for the season next year!!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've just crept up to 9.5, back out of single figures for the first time in 4 years...I reckon I've got 6 more qulaifiers I can play before year end.....that should take me to 10.1. a 1 shot increase in the annual review should be a formality. Then in the new year I can toss off another 7 0.1s by the end of March which should take me to 11.8 and the resulting "exceptionally bad scoring" increase will put me off 13.

Then i will be ready for the season next year!!!

:rofl:

Still doesn't give you an excuse for wearing vile coloured trousers!

I've been creeping up as well, due to age, infirmity and incompetence! Would be competitive of 12 or 13, but a dodgy hip has seriously restricted play! Hope to be able donate a few more balls to the Divers at The Shire before year-end though!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Probably my most consistent scoring year week in week out, got cut to single figures but not my lowest rounds shooting year, so kind of disappointing. Really need to sort out my short game(chipping) but can not be bothered to practise, just wish to play. Must be leaving 3-5 shots a round out there due to my chipping being so poor.

Have had great fun this year, whacking a golf ball around, relaxing and enjoying myself on the golf course,. That's my only hope for next year.

Had some great golf days out due to the forum, family, opens and guest days, hopefully more of the same next year.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really need to work on my game inside 100 yards this winter. Lose most of my strokes here. Currently reading Dave Pelz's short game bible to help with this, and have the putting bible to read next. Full swing is looking and feeling good so just need to maintain that, with a few tweaks from my lesson on Sunday.

Was hoping to play a couple of winter opens but there doesn't seem to be any that I can find on golf empire, so will probs just hope to get up to Guallane/North Berwick area for a couple of games in better conditions.

Will likely play most Saturdays in my usual 3 ball, and hope to get some low scores in around our winter course.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Season ened with a wimper due to back problems.

No golf this last 6 weeks.

Stretching and core work outs for the forseeable.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
haha - yeah that's what people have been telling me! funny the day we found out we were expecting I shot a one under par gross 69! So I felt positive about it - but I think sleepless nights and all that - I doubt i'll have another one of them again!

I dont buy into this ‘kids will ruin your golf’ angle. I’ve come down from 4 to 2 since we had our child. It made me realise golf isn’t everything and it has relaxed me. I also don’t play any less, I just play at more appropriate times - early Saturday mornings and during the week whilst the kid is at nursery