Season’s goals: How did you do?!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had 3.

1. Make the B Team (scratch Matchplay). Got two call ups. Should have won the first game but was a bit nervous and got off to a terrible start, played much better but thrashed in the second by top class opposition. At least now I know the standard and aim to improve next year!

2. Win a board comp. Came 2nd, lost by a shot to the guy I was playing with, who in fairness shot -1 gross off 4 so you can’t complain.

3. Get cut to 8. Made it to 8.6. Twice. The second time it should have been 8.4 but CSS went down to 70 for the only time all season!

So close calls but not much by way of cigars. How did you lot do?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started the season on 19.3 and wanted to have a playing handicap of 18 or under by end of season. Only managed to end up on 18.8. Better than l started but not by as much as I'd hoped.

D

Deleted member 15344

Don’t really set myself any specific goals but

I really wanted to win the Club Scratch KO and I managed that

And wanted to do well in the Club Champs - didn’t do well there at all 😂

HC crept up this year but over the last month have found form so back down again.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I couldn't remember if I set any so just looked in the thread titled "2018 targets and plans" and I wrote this:

Once the winter league is over (I've promised my partner I'll play modern clubs for WL) I intend to play old school for the whole year, including qualifiers.
Handicap wise I'd like to think I can stay at 12 but hopefully get a cut.

I have only played old school / vintage for the whole year and this year I'll be playing old school in the Winter League also.

Handicap started at 12.0 and finished at 12.1 after playing 16 qualifiers so not too bad. (If I could chip I'm sure it would have gone down.)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not what I wanted, which was a single figure handicap, but started and finished the season on 12 handicap. So my aim is the same for next season!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had year goals, not just season. So we’ll see at the beginning of next year when it gets reviewed! I’ll be well off with some of them though

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My aims for 2018 were;

1) Play more golf - tick.
2) Get back down to Cat 1 from 7.5 - sort of a tick.

I achieved number 2 fairly early in the year, May, but went back to 5.7. And even though I've had a great summer, picking up cash nearly every week, apart from a couple of scores everything has been between 8 over and 6 over.

However, my long game is probably the best its been for more years than I can remember. FIR sits around 70%, and some of my long shots into greens have been sublime. After going 3 years without an eagle I've had 5 so far this year.

Perhaps more importantly, I'm really enjoying the game again.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aim is to finish lower than I start , ambition is cat 1

Started 8.2 up to 9.1 struggling .. Got down to 6.9 currently 7.3 aim achieved

Ambition , well is still just that, joining new club where Css is not 38 every comp so here's to next season

D

Deleted member 16999

Started on 13 got down to 10 and entered County Div 2 Championships for first time.
Target for next year is single figures.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Won a competition. Won the roll up. Other than that the handicap is a mere 0.1 higher than where it started 2018 which is a source of frustration. Played a few club matches with mixed results, played a load of different courses and enjoyed my golf immensely

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two goals this year.

1st - started the season on 18.3 and aimed to get down to about 15. Ended the season 18.8. If my bunker play was as good as "awful" I reckon I would have finished with a handicap of about 16, but it's soooo much worse than awful :-( Still a Q or two to go tho.

2nd - win society tour to Portugal. Came 2nd and lost on count back on the last day. Again bunkers!! :-(

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Won a couple of medals. Won two Texas Scrambles. Finished the season lower than I started. Overall I'm happy at that.

Just started a winter program with a "new" pro. Huge emphasis on Trackman and numbers. First lesson there was a huge success and really opened my eyes. Looking forward to the next 7 lessons between now and April.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hoped to get into single figures and managed that for a few months before a run of 0.1s took me up to 9.5 I and back to 10. Delighted to have achieved it but a bit disappointed to have drifted back up.

Hey ho, that's golf.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Won a couple of medals. Won two Texas Scrambles. Finished the season lower than I started. Overall I'm happy at that.

Just started a winter program with a "new" pro. Huge emphasis on Trackman and numbers. First lesson there was a huge success and really opened my eyes. Looking forward to the next 7 lessons between now and April.

Same here. Good progress after 2 lessons and I feel that my swing is in a good place already

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

Good work, I'd be happy with that as well, I'm also a keen believer in trackman numbers but no trackman in the world can sort 5 x 3 putts for 32 points on Sunday.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Goal,at start of season was to get hcap down to whatever. Started season on 21.3 and got it down to 18.9 before finishing on 19.6. Had a couple of stonking rounds inc a 42 pointer at Sheringham. Gutted that coming off 14th hole 3 or four times I have had 33/34 points and scored only 1 or 2 points on the last four holes. Last nine hole Q comp on Thursday.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Set myself a big goal of getting down to 12.4 from 18.7. Realised half way through the year that it was too much of a drop and changed it to 15. Managed to get down to 17.9 at the end of the year. I have played well but just lost a bit of concentration a few times once I realised I wasn't looking like getting a cut and ended up with too many .1's.

Had a few other playing goals, such as get to 3rd round of the match play, qualify for the championships and top ten in my home open. Only managed qualifying for the championship and managed to end up runner up, which I'm really happy with.

Would have liked to win for the first time this year, but 3 runner ups and 2 3rd place finishes is a good constellation prize I suppose. Too big a targets in my first year at a new club where CSS is usually 64 every week, but overall I came down and had fun most weeks so can't be too unhappy. Will continue to play as much as I can through the winter and see how much I can play next year. Unlikely to set any goals next year and just play with a baby on the way I know that I most likely won't play as much and just enjoy the times I do get out.

D

Deleted member 17920

Set out to enjoy the season with no expectations.

Good job I didn't have any as I haven't played many qualifiers at all this year.

Ended up going to my highest handicap (11) for 5 years.

Still got loads of work to do through the winter as I would like to hit the ball higher than 2 inches of the ground and next year would like to get back to single figures.

D

Deleted member 21258

Just found the old thread :-

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/this-seasons-goals.96708/page-3

Would love to get the handicap back down to 7 or under and get my chipping back to where it used to be, but probably wouldn't as I now only play for fun than scores tbh.

However my real goal is to try to play as many courses/golf as I can. Play as much as I can with my son, as his life is moving/changing due to his age and that 'our' time is now quite limited. Sad face!

Well I can say on the first part I truly failed, just haven't play much golf or practised at all after a good start. Chipping and putting still searchin, I need Hazel dean to help me out.

The 2nd part, played loads of new courses, mainly on holidays(still got a number of new ones lined up if my back will take it, risking a game this weekend) and almost all times with son, so really happy.:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My only 'goal' - or more hope than goal - was to get down to 18. Not managed that yet as I'm on 20. Still got more comps to come over the winter though, all Stablefords now we're getting into winter as well, so I still think it's possible by the end of the year. Will require at least two good comp rounds though.