Season’s goals: How did you do?!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the start of this year

"
Single figures be nice this year

Down to 13 now "

I got down to 12 in the end...Played a lot of good golf, broke 80 more times than I can remember, If I was handing in every card I played would be playing to 10 I think but only 1 card a month counts to handicap so alas still at 12.

Why does only 1 card a month count ???

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I wanted to join a club, play more golf and get back to single figures.

I failed on all 3 but don't really care

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm really pleased. When i joined my club a couple of years ago i came in with a handicap of 3.2 and slowly crept up as a result of not being able to play and practice as much due to having a young family.

My goal this year was to try to get back down to 3.2 (from 4.2) by the end of the summer.

I managed to surpass that and i've got back down to 2.9, so i'm quite happy with that.

Impressive golf. 👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only goal achieved this year was to win the Seniors Chmpionship (gross and net).
This is first year that I have been able to play both rounds and in prior years have had best first round gross but not been able to play the second round.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I never set any hard and fast handicap targets, although would have liked to get down to the teens. In the end that proved impossible, but I did take 1 shot off the handicap, so I guess I'm nearer my target than I was 12 months ago!

Clubwise I won my division in the May medal (2nd overall), finished 2nd in foursome matchplay ko, reached QF's in two of the individual knockouts and was undefeated in the 3 league matches I played.

Works society proved a little more fruitful as I won the match play knockout (at Fulford!), had a 2nd and 3rd in other comps and finished joint 2nd in the oom.

Overall I'm happy with how I've done, but know I could (should?) have done a little better. Will see what winter coaching brings, but starting to wonder if a change of coach might be beneficial after 5 years with the same one. Feel as though I may have stagnated a little despite doing all coach asked of me.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Strange old journey coming back from a nasty back injury and health generally hasn’t been great; ditched the usual targets about winning something, handicap has gone well north, nearly quit but turned it around a bit late on. Started lessons and loved the H4H day - that was quite inspiring all said. Feel positive for next season. This time next year, Rodney...

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
Pretty well in terms of goals set in Jan- I set out to get down to single figures (from 12.6) and am now at 9.0. Other goals I achieved were more ‘target based’ so 4 or more birdies in a round, 25 or fewer puts in a round and scratching the course - all of which I achieved albeit not in a comp round for the last one (in fact it came yesterday out with a mate-shot 1 under gross and was well pleased-shame it didn’t count for owt)

The goals I didn’t achieve were to win a board comp and play an open at another course-so will add them plus some more for next year. Still some qualifiers left this year for me though so hopefully am not done with the H/C yet!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
After 2016 &17 which were my two worst seasons ever in terms of progress, this year I started on 13.7 and got down to 11.4 so a 2.3 reduction and was playing off 11 for the first time ever. Just gave .1 back so it's now 11.5.

Really pleased with this year overall and still have a few chances to get back to 11 or even better ;)

Finally feel I'm going in the right direction again and will use Winter to try and keep my game in shape. (y)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
This year my goals were -

Have a lower handicap than 2.3
Finish top 5 in club champs
Average under par on par5s
Have positive strokes gained (against a scratch golfer) for driving and putting.

The large majority of my season was cut short due to a major finger injury but I still did ok

Yesterday I got cut .6 in a comp at Burnham so I’m now down to 1.8

Didn’t play the club champs

Averaged 4.76 on par 5.

Gained 2.04 strokes per round off the tee, but was 0.70 putting.

So all in all a reasonable year for me

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Have positive strokes gained (against a scratch golfer) for driving and putting.

The large majority of my season was cut short due to a major finger injury but I still did ok

Averaged 4.76 on par 5.

I could do with your ability on the par 5's. My stats for par 3's has me as a 1 handicapper but as a 14 h'capper on par 5's. And just above my 6 handicap on the par 4's. I stand on the par 5 tees thinking birdie, and then lash it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could do with your ability on the par 5's. My stats for par 3's has me as a 1 handicapper but as a 14 h'capper on par 5's. And just above my 6 handicap on the par 4's. I stand on the par 5 tees thinking birdie, and then lash it.

If I makes you happier, I played the 4 par 3s at Burnham in +6 yesterday and shot +2 in total 😂😂

D

Deleted member 17920

Averaged 4.76 on par 5.

Very good season after having the finger injury 👏👏

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just catching up on some very interesting seasons - good and bad. Congrats to those who made and surpassed their targets. I’m going to try to not let the dust settle on the clubs this winter and buying a new driver (and some old irons) a few weeks ago might force me out of hibernation. Then at the start of next season whoever asks the question “what are your seasons goals?” might also ask “what are you going to do differently in order to achieve them?”. It’d be interesting to know how folk have successfully stepped up a gear in the past - and what others are focusing on to do so in 2019.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a shocker this year!
Ankle injury In February never really recovered and has hampered my play.

21 x .1 not a great year only lost .2 so finished ok but to late now.
Second in the mixed , my partner played out of her skin!
Bring on next year.

D

Deleted member 1147

My only aim was to get my handicap down, which I managed, but 0.3 wasn’t as much as I’d hoped.

I had a very dodgy start to the year so changed coach. 2 sessions with him have improved my long game, but my putting has gone seriously downhill (as anyone I played with at HFH will testify).

So next year’s aim is to get down to 2 or 3. Improve my putting and score better on par 3s.