Season’s goals: How did you do?!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had:
Maintain 12 handicap ✅ Got down to 10.5 finishing at 11.1
3 Comp rounds under 80 ✅
0 Comp rounds worse than net 80❌ 2 rounds both on the same day in the club champs.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Funny old season
After 2 years of bad health culminating in the removal of a kidney in May 17, I had pretty well recovered by Xmas and was looking forward to a positive season,

However in April a routine unconnected medical procedure went wrong and I needed major surgery to save my life, all well documented here.

Come the end of the summer I was pretty well recovered physically and decided to do something positive about my natural slice,

A GM lesson with Barney Puttick has put me on a good footing and I just need to put what I learnt into practice over the winter.

So this year has been a write off, but I am very happy to still be here and able to play this great game.

Hoping to knock 2 or 3 off the handicap next year 👍

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finished one shot lower than I started won 5 out of six matches played in our local league. So better than last year.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Funny old season
After 2 years of bad health culminating in the removal of a kidney in May 17, I had pretty well recovered by Xmas and was looking forward to a positive season,

However in April a routine unconnected medical procedure went wrong and I needed major surgery to save my life, all well documented here.

Come the end of the summer I was pretty well recovered physically and decided to do something positive about my natural slice,

A GM lesson with Barney Puttick has put me on a good footing and I just need to put what I learnt into practice over the winter.

So this year has been a write off, but I am very happy to still be here and able to play this great game.

Hoping to knock 2 or 3 off the handicap next year 👍

Go on Phil, roll out the "I was ill" routine to cover the lack of practice 😂😂

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
This year my goals were -

Have a lower handicap than 2.3
Finish top 5 in club champs
Average under par on par5s
Have positive strokes gained (against a scratch golfer) for driving and putting.

The large majority of my season was cut short due to a major finger injury but I still did ok

Yesterday I got cut .6 in a comp at Burnham so I’m now down to 1.8

Didn’t play the club champs

Averaged 4.76 on par 5.

Gained 2.04 strokes per round off the tee, but was 0.70 putting.

So all in all a reasonable year for me

Impressive, well done.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
This year gone back down from 8.5 to 7.8, still time this year to affect it but if offered my current handicap at the start of the year, id have been happy to take it.
Last year and this year together is showing better though as the shanks (3-4 years of em) and zero technique had me up to 11.6 (May 2017) at my worst. Shank free pretty much 18 months now (lessons were 2 years ago but confidence returning with each game.)

Just need to carry my game away from home a little better, out of around 10 away games, I think I've broken handicap once.
At home I have a little over a 50% buffer or better rate so might put some practice in on my short irons in the off season, it has potential to get back to 6 when I took up golf again in '06 after a load of years away.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Awful year, after the best golf year of my short golf career last year, managed to get to 11.5 and win a board comp. Was hoping this year to push towards single figures, just once before the body packs up.

Developed a dreadful bout of the "unmentionables" in the spring and have been unable to shake them off. Just received conformation from M&H I will be receiving a 1.0 increase in the annual review. Takes me up to 14.7 :sick:

Just shows how we can go from hero to zero in a heartbeat

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's time for your end of season report card, so let's see how everyone has done.

Not a great year for me, played 12 new courses of which 7 are top 100. 21 qualifiers and finishing the season 0.2 higher than I started. Game has been very solid in places but not put in the scores that I had hoped for. Played 4 county matches, won 2 and lost 2.

Won one of the club major competitions (strokeplay then top 16 KO) so at least I'll get an invite to presentation night :)

Overall for me it's a C+

D

Deleted Member 1156

Similar but not exactly the same. I do one of these threads most years, take your pick which one you want to reply to.

D

Deleted member 1147

C - done ok, but not nearly what I had hoped for

Handicap down 0.3 over the course of the whole year - but most importantly down 0.7 from it's July position.

Managed to buffer or better 19 out of 30 rounds, averaged 0.54 shots per round better than last year.

Had 2 lessons with a new Pro, and have seen real improvement since then.

Played 4 scratch league matches scoring 5 out of 8 points (losing away from home against a 2 handicapper)

Played in the inter-club foursomes final - winning our match

Played 3 new course - Liphook, Bearwood & Little Aston

Watched the thursday of the Open - brilliant!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
B
Although the handicap has gone up 0.3, I feel I'm a better player than I was at the start of the season.
There are fewer disaster rounds and shooting my best score in over 2 years last week shows there are better all round scores coming.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Dropped 3 shots from the start of the season, absolutely pointless exercise, can't wait to put them all back on and start picking up some prizes.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I started the season not even considering playing any golf, or barely having a hit with my mates. Having taken a break a few years previously with young kids and work being prioritised and being hugely surprised how much I hadn't missed playing for a couple of years.

I got 3 rounds at very nice courses in February (through work) and even that didn't give me the bug back. Even during the good weather in May and June I was knocking back casual rounds with mates.

Then the Open started. I had tickets to the Scottish Open and even on my way back from a great Friday at Gullane I didn't even plan to attend the Open. Until Tuesday morning when I saw the draw for the 1st 2 rounds and decided I was going to go early on Friday morning and follow Lee Westwood and catch a bit of Rory McIlroy as well.

I had a full day on my own at Carnoustie, arguably one of the finest tests of Championship Golf in the world. I could follow who I wanted to follow, there was no waiting for some people to get a beer, or go to the toilet etc. As well as Westy and Rory, I saw Tommy Fleetwood make 3 birdies in an excellent round. I chatted to other fans, stewards and basically stayed there following groups in the afternoon until about 6pm, after 11 hours on the ground when my legs and back told me it was time to go home. And basically that was me back in the love with the game.

From there I was certain I would join a club again in Spring 2019 and started researching what was suitable / affordable / enjoyable etc. and was keen to get a few games in while the weather was still good.

Early August I played East Ren and a few weeks later I was a full member and a few weeks beyond that had a handicap again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a good season in terms of the courses played, enjoyment of my golf and the quality of the short game has begun to improve. The swing is coming on and given I've played all season the handicap has only moved 0.3 but is sadly 15 now. As the course does play really long in the winter I'm not too upset especially as there won't be 10 comps before next season so no danger of it going higher. Winter practice to work on the shallower downswing, which has already resulted in a neater more compact finish (not sure about the back swing as I've not got it on film yet). Plenty of short game work to do and then ready to push on or 2019. As I won a competition and several second places I'd have to say handicap apart I'm happy so a C+

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I want a pint of what homer is drinking!! Loving that positivity big guy 👍
For me, down to 6.2, lowest ever, from 7. something. Won a club singles knock out. The all handicaps one, none of this scratch nonsense😉 But i don’t feel as though I played that well. Long game is good, wedges, short game & putting are poor IMO. Work to do.
B could do better

Last edited: