Scottish independence

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think geographically Great Britain is the big island of the two - but I wouldn't want to suggest we refer to Ireland as Little Britain :) - no the two main islands of the British Isles are the island of Great Britain and the island of Ireland.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well I'm not offended!

Mind you I'd rather have the weather of Chang Mai!

..and I'm getting no say in the future of my country when any rag, tag and bob-tail who just happens to be in Scotland at the time and a qualifying resident will get a say. Wee Eck's got it wrong there.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
IFFFFFFFFFF???

The newly created British Open would not be a major and would probably vanish without trace like the many attempts to hold an English Open.
Sad that Scotland, Wales and Ireland can host a national Open but England can't.
Mind you looking at some of the courses who attempted to host it, small wonder.

PS
Independence is a dead duck and always has been.
Seen as a way to DevoMax which nearly everyone wants.

The People's Republic of Leith, Edinburgh
Visit site
..and I'm getting no say in the future of my country when any rag, tag and bob-tail who just happens to be in Scotland at the time and a qualifying resident will get a say. Wee Eck's got it wrong there.

Eh?.... Who then should in your opinion be allowed to vote if not those people who choose to live and work here and whose everyday lives will be impacted??!?

painterboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site

If I'm reading this post correctly you're a Scot living in leafy Surrey and wants a vote on the Independence of Scotland while 'foreigners' who have decided to live and work there and whose lives would be affected by a Yes or No vote not get a chance to have a say?

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being married to a Scot and having several trips up there it has been interesting to hear the views of her family on this subject.
Although they like the idea of independence they know it's pretty untenable.
As for The Open why is it just for Scotland?
There is already the Scottish Open so surely The Open is a British thing. If you Google The British Open the it gives you The Open at Muirfield. Wouldn't the R&A stamp on this especially when one of the websites is Muirfield2013open.com.

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Chiang Mai, Thailand and anywhere there is H2O
Visit site
So, if you truly want it, shouldn't you also have your own currency which is not linked to the Engish pound and your own passport? Have you ever tried using Clydesdale bank money outside the UK? I am Scottish, but travel and work internationally on one of the strongest passports on the planet, a BRITISH passport.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have our own currency, same as you, it is called the pound.
Remember Scots own about 11% of the Bank of England.
If the remains of the UK wish to keep the pound to themselves then that 11% would have to be payed back to Scotland.
Oh and BTW the Bank of England was founded by a Scotsman.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
South of the boarder shouldn’t get all excited, after all England can’t even get backing and sponsorship for a National open, without the open there would be one event in England and The PGA at Wentworth is only due to BMW, without them I don’t think that even would happen.;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Eh?.... Who then should in your opinion be allowed to vote if not those people who choose to live and work here and whose everyday lives will be impacted??!?

Just because I had to move away from Scotland for work does not make me any less Scottish. The referendum isn't just ANY old referendum vote - this vote is about the very status and future of the country. We're not just talking about whether it would be good for someone economically over the coming 2, 5, 10, 25 years - this referendum is basically for good. Whenever I raise this I getting swatted away with 'well you don't live here - it won't affect you - why should you get a vote' This is such a short-sighted and blinkered view. Of COURSE it affects me - I'm Scottish.

Do you not think that because I live in England I don't CARE about Scotland anymore - and that my everyday life WON'T be affected? Of course I will be affected. All of my family live in Scotland, I may move back - and besides I do actually care about Scotland. Explain to me how someone - let's say a Pole - currently living in Scotland to make enough money to return to THEIR home in a few years time somehow has a greater interest in the LONG TERM future of my country than me - it's not their country - do they really care? Some might - but really?

And yet - because I - like many, many Scots before me - have chosen (through necessity in my case) to move away from Scotland to seek our fortune (not yet found in my case) - we are deemed 2nd class Scots - because that is what it feels like. And yet Scots are the very first to strut around chests puffed out declaring how we Scots made the empire and look at what we invented blah blah blah - how great and well know and respected Scots are the world over. I wonder - how many of our 'greatest sons and daughters' became great by staying in Scotland and where that respect we have has come from.

I'm not saying which way I'd vote if I had a vote - but I think it insulting that I am not deemed worthy of a vote in deciding the future of my country.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
<impassioned plea snipped>

I'm not saying which way I'd vote if I had a vote - but I think it insulting that I am not deemed worthy of a vote in deciding the future of my country.

Must admit I've been pretty ambivalent on this point and it definitely affects those of us who live here more immediately than those who don't. However, you've convinced me - if I lived away I'm sure I'd want a vote too.