Scottish Golf and WHS

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The more I look at SGU the more they're about looking after the SGU rather than golf in Scotland. I just see this as another example of them doing what they think is right and not consulting the clubs or their opinion, or just ignoring their viewpoint.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The more I look at SGU the more they're about looking after the SGU rather than golf in Scotland. I just see this as another example of them doing what they think is right and not consulting the clubs or their opinion, or just ignoring their viewpoint.

My friend is club manager at one of the club's that has been selected to "trial" their system and he is pretty impressed. Says the scoring aspect of it is tremendous and far better than anything else on the market however it does have shortcomings in other areas. Take from that what you will but I guess it shows that SG are getting feedback from clubs and will hopefully implement changes after feedback.

I have no further information other than that. I think he/she a bit cagey on what he/she is giving away.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, to summarise...

SG plan to deliver a handicap entry front end to it's clubs, initially funded from the current level of fees, possibly with extended competition capabilities yet to be explained.
Last week they showed their spots a little by changing the existing SG CDH database in conjunction with their software developer, but without reference to the various ISVs currently providing services to clubs and advising them that they would be given the necessary technical and security data in due course...
What the new software will do is unknown
SG have been happy to give the impression to clubs that their software is the only option.

Have I missed anything?

Everything I've been able to access suggests that the last point is the biggest cause for concern - but also extremely unlikely to be true! There is nothing but speculation to support that view. Obviously there is also an element of concern that you will have to pay for it anyway as part of your normal fees...but this is a mute point initially.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So, to summarise...

SG plan to deliver a handicap entry front end to it's clubs, initially funded from the current level of fees, possibly with extended competition capabilities yet to be explained.
Last week they showed their spots a little by changing the existing SG CDH database in conjunction with their software developer, but without reference to the various ISVs currently providing services to clubs and advising them that they would be given the necessary technical and security data in due course...
What the new software will do is unknown
SG have been happy to give the impression to clubs that their software is the only option.

Have I missed anything?

Everything I've been able to access suggests that the last point is the biggest cause for concern - but also extremely unlikely to be true! There is nothing but speculation to support that view. Obviously there is also an element of concern that you will have to pay for it anyway as part of your normal fees...but this is a mute point initially.

Can I ask what it has got to do with you? Are you just on here to dig SG. If you are not a member of a Scottish club why do the potential actions of SG concern you and the original poster so much?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I ask what it has got to do with you? Are you just on here to dig SG. If you are not a member of a Scottish club why do the potential actions of SG concern you and the original poster so much?

Not on here to dig SG; whatever that might be.

I've never posted in any of the bash SG threads (that I remember) as they were about SG.

My concerns, if that's the word, revolve around WHS implementation and ISV's; communication and associated issues.

That it is SG is incidental in this case

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not on here to dig SG; whatever that might be.

I've never posted in any of the bash SG threads (that I remember) as they were about SG.

My concerns, if that's the word, revolve around WHS implementation and ISV's; communication and associated issues.

That it is SG is incidental in this case

And SG plan on using their own version rather than a 3rd party. Not sure where the concern is.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have no concerns about SG. As one involved (marginally) in England's and therefore CONGU's implementation, my interest is in the rationale of the various national authorities around the world. Simply 'why are they choosing this route as opposed to that route?'

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have no concerns about SG. As one involved (marginally) in England's and therefore CONGU's implementation, my interest is in the rationale of the various national authorities around the world. Simply 'why are they choosing this route as opposed to that route?'

Free trade and choice I guess.

They believe in developing a system that helps them and clubs moving forward. I don't see anything wrong with that, it's also giving them greater control of functions and support for golf clubs.

I'm only going by what I've been told by someone who has been able to trial it and they're very impressed with its functions so far.