Scottish Fitba'

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It was too high and not far enough right and was easily saved. the sort that if you guess the right way you'll probsbly save it. , but other than that it was a cracker ;)
Well if it was that easy why did I never save such a penalty...

...OK - latterly I did struggle to get myself off the ground - but in my earlier fitter, lither and more graceful days I could save such shots - but rarely from the penalty spot.

Well done sir!

U

User62651

Great they could finally get back to one of the 2 major tournaments. Thought the writing was on the wall with the equaliser but lady luck shone on us with the penalties, 10 well taken, Mitrovic was just unlucky, someone always has that cross to bear. Currently seems a nucleus of 5 or 6 half decent players, good team spirit with no egos and a wily coach.
No expectations for next summer (it's not Argentina 78:cry:), fans can just enjoy being there (covid permitting).

Commiserations to NI, was keeping an eye on that one too.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brilliant performance last night, especially in the 90 minutes where we were by far the better team and hung on well in extra time after one almighty kick in the you know what’s with the last minute goal conceded!

Fantastic penalties under such pressure and as much as David Marshall gets the credit for the penalty save the whole team were superb and showed a lot of the fight and determination that’s been lacking over the years.

Thanks to the whole squad and management team for giving us something at last to smile about during 2020

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Brilliant performance last night, especially in the 90 minutes where we were by far the better team and hung on well in extra time after one almighty kick in the you know what’s with the last minute goal conceded!

Fantastic penalties under such pressure and as much as David Marshall gets the credit for the penalty save the whole team were superb and showed a lot of the fight and determination that’s been lacking over the years.

Thanks to the whole squad and management team for giving us something at last to smile about during 2020
And it's great when we have players of the likes of Gallagher and O'Donnell coming from unfashionable Scottish clubs in the foundations - OK - Billy will tell you that his mate WillieP will contest the suggestion that Motherwell are unfashionable :)

And you have Ally McCoist telling viewers on ITV that he had never before celebrated as he did two Celtic players being part of a great goal...in fact he'd never before celebrated in any way two Celtic players being part of any goal :)

My Mrs thought I was very silly jumping around our back room and yelling my head off like a total eejit after the save - just as she thought I was very silly indeed as I slumped into a slough of utter despair at the equaliser on 89mins.

Last edited:

Tommy10

Visit site
Brilliant performance, should have won by 2 or 3 but that wouldn't have been a very Scottish way to qualify. Absolutely nerve shredding.

I don't think we will be there to make up the numbers, especially having 2 games at Hampden, hopefully a full Hampden by then.

YESSIR I CAN BOOGIE :cool:

U

User62651

Brilliant performance, should have won by 2 or 3 but that wouldn't have been a very Scottish way to qualify. Absolutely nerve shredding.

I don't think we will be there to make up the numbers, especially having 2 games at Hampden, hopefully a full Hampden by then.

YESSIR I CAN BOOGIE :cool:

Woah, steady with the optimism, you're clearly too young to remember the 70s and 80s.:censored:
However I guess if Wales and Iceland and Denmark can go deep into a tournament then never say never!

Tommy10

Visit site
Woah, steady with the optimism, you're clearly too young to remember the 70s and 80s.:censored:
However I guess if Wales and Iceland and Denmark can go deep into a tournament then never say never!

I'll settle for qualifying, we're at the party and that's all that matters.

I got 2 tickets in the ballot for Hampden matches, turns out they are for Croatia v Czech Republic but that's on at the same time as England v Scotland, wonder if anyone would swap them for 2 Scotland match tickets :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To think that when Scotland last qualified for a major competition the internet was not that more than just 'a thing' - and 'a thing' that only a few folks had heard of...

Tommy10

Visit site
To think that when Scotland last qualified for a major competition the internet was not that more than just 'a thing' - and 'a thing' that only a few folks had heard of...

Yeah the world has changed a lot since France 1998. To think we only lost to Brazil in that opening game due to an OG, bonkers.

Tommy10

Visit site
The England game is on Friday 18th June. Hopefully we will have normality by then so there's a full house and a great atmosphere.

Playing England at Wembley, something to look forward to for sure

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Back to reality for Scotland
Missed loads of easy chances and lose 1-0 to a deflected shot.:(
At least it gave the B team a run out.
We were pretty good I thought for our 2nd team and we often hear moaning when we get a close win against another nation's '2nd' team. Their keeper had a few good saves and Gordon didn't have to save a shot on target (other than the one he didn't) but Ollie McBurnie really needs a goal...a couple of times he was basically in on goal and took a touch too many or a touch too heavy...

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Not really fussed about the result tbh. The performance merited a win. We are creating loads of chances, which is something we haven't done over a number of games, to this extent, for as long as I remember. Someone is going to be on the end of a hiding sooner or later. Things really are looking up. We have a good squad. Full team for Wednesday to see out the group. Play Griffith's instead of McBurnie and we're sorted.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not really fussed about the result tbh. The performance merited a win. We are creating loads of chances, which is something we haven't done over a number of games, to this extent, for as long as I remember. Someone is going to be on the end of a hiding sooner or later. Things really are looking up. We have a good squad. Full team for Wednesday to see out the group. Play Griffith's instead of McBurnie and we're sorted.
I think I'd still start with McBurnie. Though the unfortunate truth is that when Scotland play Griffiths it seems we lose a lump of support from one half of Glasgow - mind you - am I bovvered? Actually I am a bit though it doesn't cause me to lose sleep. It continues, and will never fail, to disappoint me how anti the Scottish national team many supporters of certain clubs seem to be, especially when certain players are selected. Well - maybe Scotland is better without their 'support'. There are enough decent and passionate supporters of Scotland from all Scottish clubs.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think I'd still start with McBurnie. Though the unfortunate truth is that when Scotland play Griffiths it seems we lose a lump of support from one half of Glasgow - mind you - am I bovvered? Actually I am a bit though it doesn't cause me to lose sleep. It continues, and will never fail, to disappoint me how anti the Scottish national team many supporters of certain clubs seem to be, especially when certain players are selected. Well - maybe Scotland is better without their 'support'. There are enough decent and passionate supporters of Scotland from all Scottish clubs.

McBurnie is dreadful. One of the worst players I've ever seen. I thought Oliver Burke was bad, but this guy is ten times worse. The thought of him playing at the Euros is an awful one.

Hopefully Clarke will get wise to him soon.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
McBurnie is dreadful. One of the worst players I've ever seen. I thought Oliver Burke was bad, but this guy is ten times worse. The thought of him playing at the Euros is an awful one.

Hopefully Clarke will get wise to him soon.
My lad is a bit of a Sheffield Utd fan (living in Sheff with Utd being his Sheffield team) and he tells me that McBurnie has a pretty thin fan club amongst Utd fans. Mind you Oliver Burke isn't held in that much higher esteem by Utd fans - and I think he's done a bit better for Scotland of late.

I'd still give McBurnie a start against Israel - he knows he's just got to contribute more and better. We can bring on Dykes if things go as we expect.