Scottish Fitba'

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You’ll have noticed a distinct lack of St Johnstone supporters in the ground…there aren’t that many for home games against any other team, but when Rangers visit many regulars don’t go. They can’t be bothered with the aggro and the ‘No Surrender’ bile spewed by some of the Rangers support - and given the likelihood of anything other than being humped… It’s a great pity and shame that it remains so, but tbh I don’t know what Rangers can do about it.

StJ looked competitive for much of the game (Phillips has been missed last couple of games and he adds bite to midfield) but my goodness midfield and defensive mistakes, slackness and carelessness don’t half make it easier for the opposition - especially when it’s Video Assist Rangers 😉 (btw have to accept that going by current criteria both pens were pens)
Dunfermline drew a bigger home crowd against Arbroath to be honest. Rangers had pretty much all of the other three stands. And being completely honest, I never really heard much bile being spewed from where I was, but then a lot of the chants were just merging in to one long, nasal West Coast drone.

St Johnstone lack quality in attack, the young lad from the English 7th tier isn't going to cut it I'm afraid. He looked scared and clueless once the ball did get to him, his off the ball movement was baffling. But defensively they looked compact and cohesive, restricted Rangers to that single 25 yarder.

The handball was definitely a penalty, you just can't put your arm out like that in the box and, as I say, I could see it from my seat. The first penalty, I know what the rules say but I am still of the opinion that if the attacker has lost control BEFORE the contact then no penalty. Sterling stretched for the ball to make sure he got there first, stretching so much that once he toe poked it past the defender, he had zero chance of getting to it. The ball would have either ran to the keeper or out of play.

First half hour of the game I really, really questioned my decision making though! Utter drivel.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dunfermline drew a bigger home crowd against Arbroath to be honest. Rangers had pretty much all of the other three stands. And being completely honest, I never really heard much bile being spewed from where I was, but then a lot of the chants were just merging in to one long, nasal West Coast drone.

St Johnstone lack quality in attack, the young lad from the English 7th tier isn't going to cut it I'm afraid. He looked scared and clueless once the ball did get to him, his off the ball movement was baffling. But defensively they looked compact and cohesive, restricted Rangers to that single 25 yarder.

The handball was definitely a penalty, you just can't put your arm out like that in the box and, as I say, I could see it from my seat. The first penalty, I know what the rules say but I am still of the opinion that if the attacker has lost control BEFORE the contact then no penalty. Sterling stretched for the ball to make sure he got there first, stretching so much that once he toe poked it past the defender, he had zero chance of getting to it. The ball would have either ran to the keeper or out of play.

First half hour of the game I really, really questioned my decision making though! Utter drivel.
It wasn’t good - the football that is. Unfortunately the ‘NS‘ stuff came across quite clearly at times on TV. I’ll thank you and your mate on behalf of the club for your business - especially given the paucity of numbers of the home support. But I already noted why many ST holders, plus other more casual, just don’t go when the OF are in town. Sadly.

And I still struggle a bit on how ball hitting an arm outstretched when the player has spun round away from the strike and arm goes out for balance, is deliberate handball…though these days I get that that’s not the deciding criteria. Still…🤷‍♂️

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It wasn’t good - the football that is. Unfortunately the ‘NS‘ stuff came across quite clearly at times on TV. I’ll thank you and your mate on behalf of the club for your business - especially given the paucity of numbers of the home support. But I already noted why many ST holders, plus other more casual, just don’t go when the OF are in town. Sadly.

And I still struggle a bit on how ball hitting an arm outstretched when the player has spun round away from the strike and arm goes out for balance, is deliberate handball…though these days I get that that’s not the deciding criteria. Still…🤷‍♂️
Perhaps St.J should not "take the money" and only let a few OF fans in then?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc. seem happy to turn up when the OF are in town are they not?
Get the home fans in with big numbers and drown out the distasteful element.
Maybe Saintees fans are just a bunch of fermers and can’t be bothered with the hassle…

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc. seem happy to turn up when the OF are in town are they not?
Get the home fans in with big numbers and drown out the distasteful element.

Or get the home fans in with big numbers and there's no need to let the OF in at all (except the couple hundred minimum)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Or get the home fans in with big numbers and there's no need to let the OF in at all (except the couple hundred minimum)
There aren’t that many of us given the all pervasive nature of the support for the OF - it’s everywhere and is probably the majority in every village and town in the land - and possibly even in Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh.

An interesting little factoid about StJ is that the 15,000 or so StJ fans at the 2014 Scottish Cup Final (yes…I was there with my mum, son and some cousins), is thought to be the largest StJ attendance at any game in the history of the club. The record home attendance of 30,000 in 1951 at its old ground Muirton Park, was against Dundee and well over half the crowd were Dundee supporters.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Poor product = poor crowds?
Not necessarily. We pulled in a bigger home crowd against Arborath than St.J did against Hearts. And what we're being forced to watch this season is worse than poor. It's utter dog muck. In fact, we pulled bugger attendances than St.J did against the ugly sisters three times this season (ok, Raith was two of those occasions and that always brings the roaches out).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not necessarily. We pulled in a bigger home crowd against Arborath than St.J did against Hearts. And what we're being forced to watch this season is worse than poor. It's utter dog muck. In fact, we pulled bugger attendances than St.J did against the ugly sisters three times this season (ok, Raith was two of those occasions and that always brings the roaches out).
As said, many StJ supporters stay away when the OF are in town.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Including the ones that assaulted that poor boy.☹️