Scorecard responsibility

D-S

Visit site
If a player just writes a forename on a scorecard not the surname can they be DQ?

There is a term of competition in place to say surname must be included.

However I can only see that the responsibility for name on card is the committee but for this comp labels weren’t available and players, as is often the case, filled in the details themselves.

If it is a DQ, then can you point me to the rule.

Thanks.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If a player just writes a forename on a scorecard not the surname can they be DQ?

There is a term of competition in place to say surname must be included.

However I can only see that the responsibility for name on card is the committee but for this comp labels weren’t available and players, as is often the case, filled in the details themselves.

If it is a DQ, then can you point me to the rule.

Thanks.
No rule to point to. It is clear from the diagram for 3.3b that it is the Committee's responsibility to put names on cards. Obviously if there is a failure to do so, it is in the players interests to put his name on the card but no penalty if he doesn't. You can't use the Terms of the Competition to impose a golfing penalty on failing to do something that is not required by the Rules.

D-S

Visit site
No rule to point to. It is clear from the diagram for 3.3b that it is the Committee's responsibility to put names on cards. Obviously if there is a failure to do so, it is in the players interests to put his name on the card but no penalty if he doesn't. You can't use the Terms of the Competition to impose a golfing penalty on failing to do something that is not required by the Rules.
Thanks that is what I thought but if I simply put a card in the box with no name at all, that is acceptable?
Not having scorecards written out for competitors is fairly normal, but what is a Committee to do with cards with no names?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can only see the diagram in the rules defining committee and player responsibilities - is this covered in words elsewhere?
The diagram says it all, really, but the rule it illustrates is explicit.. 3.3b(2) Player’s Responsibility: Certifying Hole Scores and Returning Scorecard.
states in the title the only two actions required of the player. These two "musts" are made clear in the text: he must make sure the hole scores entered by the marker are certified by his marker and himself; and he must return the scorecard.

Where the Terms of the Competition state that the player must put their name on their card, only a club disciplinary sanction would be allowable, not a golfing penalty (that is, penalty stroke(s) or DQ. Clarification 3.3b(2)/1 gives you the principle to support that but also points out the possibility of a penalty if the matter were covered in a Code of Conduct.

D-S

Visit site
The diagram says it all, really, but the rule it illustrates is explicit.. 3.3b(2) Player’s Responsibility: Certifying Hole Scores and Returning Scorecard.
states in the title the only two actions required of the player. These two "musts" are made clear in the text: he must make sure the hole scores entered by the marker are certified by his marker and himself; and he must return the scorecard.

Where the Terms of the Competition state that the player must put their name on their card, only a club disciplinary sanction would be allowable, not a golfing penalty (that is, penalty stroke(s) or DQ. Clarification 3.3b(2)/1 gives you the principle to support that but also points out the possibility of a penalty if the matter were covered in a Code of Conduct.
Thank you, that is clear to me now.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of our organisers has resigned from doing the job after being told the rule and it happening on quite a few occasions.
A lot of work as to go in to finding out who the player is.

We have label printers for the cards, simple process to press a tab when signing in on the PSI screen but it is amazing how many do not use it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't you figure out whose card it is by their exact handicap index being on there as well? Unless you've got two 'Dave 12.5s'.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Our Pro Shop/Player Services staff still manually write out all comp cards. (even marking the stroke holes for each player if its a stableford comp)
Players pick up their cards when they register

Even a local club that used to print it out (& print player name onto the front of each scorecard) has reverted to pen, dunno why