scary lesson!

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
somehow I knew it was going to be hard!
My set-up is all wrong - I'm too far away from the ball and and with my weight too far back.
she (girls rule!) made me stand so close to the ball (in my eyes) I thought I would fall on top of it. I then felt pretty well paralysed!
When I complained my back ached, she-who-must-be-obeyed said 'well, it will do, you've been doing it wrong for so long!
Good news? I did hit a couple of balls a lot further than usual and she was v. complimentary about my hand-eye co-ordination, claiming I had 'real talent through the ball' (roughly translates as 'I don't know how you managed to hit it at all with that set-up!) She would only give me 30 mins - (that bad!)
Back on Monday for more torture.

Think of me!

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No pain no gain. It is worth the pain and heartache. As a quick tip for checking how close you are to the ball, set up then hold the club parallel to the ground at waist height. Bend from the hips and lower the club towards the ball. If you are in the correct position the club should sit behind the ball.

If the toe is behind the ball you are too far way and if it is towards the heel you are too close

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah Ali no pain no gain, beleive me i know haha. Each morning i wake up my little finger kills because its not been used to being on the dominant hand, but its well worth it!

Keep at it, it will come good!

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi AliB
I'm sure the lessons will pay off in time even though they do feel very strange.
I'm contemplating having a lesson but unsure because my driving and fairway play, I think are quite good but I have no confidence with my wedges so tend not to use them alot and my putting is reasonable so I don't want the pro to change anything as far as my driving goes and also we have a new pro and I've only ever had lessons from our old one.
What should I do?????

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ali, stick with it, the learning curve will start to straighten out very soon and you will think you were daft for not going sooner. I think I need to stand a little closer to the ball myself so I am going to follow my own great advice! :D

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Barb
thanks for the encouragement (much needed before setting off for the range)
re your wedges, I have had lessons in the past where I specified 'short game' 'pitching' or whatever - shouldn't be a problem, though first time with someone new always adds a bit of nerves I find.

AliB

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Brendy
According to my new teacher (torturer?) you can hardly ever be 'too close to the ball' - ?
Let us know how it goes!

AliB

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think what your saying about hardly ever being too close to the ball is most probably true, it would just mean having to force your hips round a little earlier in the swing so their is room for the arms to swing through. If not you'll end up getting all caught up and hitting the ball off the extreme heel of the club. I'm not sure why a pro would want to encourage you to stand overly close though, or was he/she just saying it's not a huge problem if you do?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Standing too close can be a problem when mr Armitage Shanks introduces himself to your game. I had a bout of shanks last year and remedied it by standing slightly further away but now I feel confident enough to start getting closer again and banishing the odd hooked long iron.
Saying thatm one tip i'll give is that when you are standing in knee high rough, you get a far better and more accurate result by standing closer to the ball and swinging more upright so maybe in all areas it will help.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ali
I had my first lesson on Tuesday in my quest for single figures, I too was standing too far away from the ball and he recommended I move in almost an inch closer, it did feel strange but I was striking the ball much better towards the end of my lesson.
He said this would also help along with some other drills my occasional problem of falling back and not transferring the weight properly.

Keep it up Ali it does feel strange at the start but you will see the benifits soon enough.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Guess what - had arranged to play a round today with Mr B at a neigbouring club. 20 balls on the range made me feel a bit better about the new stance and on the front nine I scored 16 points -and I was even with Mr B. Not at all bad considering!
Needless to say I couldn't keep it up and we stopped after 15 (temp was in the seventies!) but feel a bit better about the new regime. Interestingly, hit a very creditable rescue wood out of rough, (quite a surprise at the time) so you could well be right. Still booked in for another lesson Monday to look at backswing.

AliB

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
AliB with the new stance, do your arms hand naturally under your chin?

My pa-in-law reaches out and its actually his elbows that are under his chin. He is a hacker and just wont be told how to do it. When he occasionally does, he hits it ok!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
AliB

That is good news that the changes are starting to bed in albeit slowly and with a touch of retinence on your behalf. Its always tough to just stand there and trust what you have been told.

Barb,

If you have only had lessons with the old pro and are unsure about the new guy I'd suggest asking round and seeing if any members have had lessons yet and get their feedback. My club pro had a split verdict. Some thought he was a great help and others said they found his methods hard to grasp so I was really nervous when I had a lesson a few weeks ago. Have to say in the end it was a great decision as he has highlighted the major problema nd given me a fix.

If you try him and he isn't to your liking there is no shame in taking your trade elsewhere and utilising a pro at another club or local range