Ryder Cup musings...

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Great write up Jezz , can only imagine the switch from silence to roar as Gmac's putt fell . .

What was the feeling like on Sat evening , was there any great talk of historic comeback repeats or was everyone kinda resigned to discussing what the margin would end up as ,

Had or has the golfing journo's any thoughts as to why the Americans cant seem to play foursomes ?

Do you think the press were fishing for controversy from Phil by asking the question they did , ?

Most of the Americans I spoke to seemed pretty much resigned to their fate on Sat night, and although people kept saying it was the same Sat night score as last time, I didn't feel that anyone really believed it was going to happen. Can't really explain their poor foursomes showing either. As for Phil, it was pretty clear he was furious at being benched Saturday, so no great surprise that something happened in reaction to that... I just don't think many people thought it would happen 10 minutes after the closing ceremony!

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great right up Jezz and glad you enjoyed it - watched almost every minute on TV and loved it. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion it shows they really care. Have always been a big fan of Phil's but his timing was all wrong and it clearly showed that the US were not a team. My only concern is that if we keep beating them so easily the US players won't be interested in playing and they'll start losing interest in the event.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Jezz - now I know who the dicks in the blue and yellow were - YourGolfTravel Guardians of the Ryder Cup. On what grounds do they feel it OK to call themselves guardians of the RC. Get lost - don't want you - and certainly don't need you.

Och you old curmudgeon, you! ;)

So who are these "guardians of the ryder cup" the guys in blue and yellow? There was a good old discussion going on about whether these guys were pros or not. How did they manage to get the same seats every day????

Saw them getting interviewed before it all started on Sunday. One of them had been there since 3.30 am to get the seats.

I like them, all part of the Ryder Cup carnival.... just don't go getting ideas for the Open!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Saw them getting interviewed before it all started on Sunday. One of them had been there since 3.30 am to get the seats.

I like them, all part of the Ryder Cup carnival.... just don't go getting ideas for the Open!

I don't mind a bit of that, but not enamored when it becomes a bit corporate as it was a (admittedly clever as we are talking about them now) marketing stunt by YourGolf travel. The Barmy Army mange it in cricket without being sponsored by someone. But as soon as businesses get involved in trying to 'manufacture or create' an atmosphere then it becomes a bit sad in my opinion. As to me it should be organic and come from the crowd itself. But hey, if it was one of those 'you had to be there' things then fair enough.

It is an interesting tension between the corporates and 'normal' paying punters. I saw a few comments on Twitter that the atmosphere on the 1st tee on the Friday was a bit 'flat' when compared to previous RCs. And the large number of corporates there was one reason being put forwards for this. But as I wasn't there it's very hard to tell if this was true or just a few people moaning.

Also with regards to the number of people in the ropes, I loved Monty's rant about it on Sky. It was a shame as I think they went to an advert break when he was in full flow, as I think he was ready to blow. Possibly some hangover from Celtic Manor? I saw Peter Jones from Dragons Den was hanging about with them all at the end. I'd be very razzed off if he was in the ropes in front of me as he's about 7 foot 4 isn't he;)

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

What about them forming the presentation committee and hand out the trophies at The Open? May be they could make up a few songs and sing them instead of the deathly boring rambling speech we currently get? ;)

Oh anonymous blazered man
I'm not your biggest fan
The sporting world's eyes are on you
And they are all saying 'who???'
Your speeches are very boring
And they leave the TV audience snoring

Sang to the tune of William It was Really Nothing by The Smiths. It would be an improvement in my book..

Last edited:

AlexDarling

Club Champion
Visit site
Having had the very great privilege of being at Gleneagles the last few days, and ahead of an inevitably delayed flight home, here are just a few musings live from Edinburgh airport as I sit and wait...

1) The atmosphere on the 1st tee on Friday was one of the best things I have ever experienced at a golf event. The amphitheatre-like arena as the sun rose over the hills to reveal a narrow strip of green between thousands and thousands of people was unreal (sorry for the Americanism). I have to admit, I've found the YourGolfTravel Guardians of the Ryder Cup songs irritating at the start of our YouTube videos, but in the flesh they certainly added something to the proceedings and were appreciated by all, including many of the players. Webb Simpson will forever ask himself why he used his very smallest club for his most nerve-wracking shot ever as he led the team off. Perhaps the Ryder Cup was as good as lost for them with that opening sky-roof!!

2) Anyone who criticises Patrick Reed's antics (however irritating), while endorsing Poulter's over the years as a natural outpouring of passion, is myopic at best. We Europeans can't have it both ways, and should all be thankful that America doesn't have 11 others who play with such passion, as I fear we'd be in a bit of trouble then!

3) Fascinating to see how opinion among the US golfing press is not universal in condemning Phil's press conference outburst. Alan Shipnuck, for example, is saying it needed to be said, so what better time than when the golfing world is watching. The majority have said it should all have been acted out behind closed doors though. Some have even said Rickie Fowler and Bubba shouldn't have been getting involved in the festivities last night. Nonsense - what are they supposed to do - hang their heads in shame and not show their faces just because they lost a game of golf? Perspective required!

4) And finally, I have to say that getting out to watch the action live on Sunday afternoon (from outside the ropes, by the way, before I get accused of being one of the hangers-on!) was an enlightening experience. The TV coverage, with its HD perfection, ball flight analyses, slo-mo, constant replays and constant pundit assessment is all well and good... but, actually getting down there, where the grass isn't quite as green and perfect, and the only assessment is yours as you stand and watch, just makes the whole thing seem so much more real and human. I was there when McDowell holed his winning eight-footer, and that was an amazing moment with absolutely no commentary beyond the roars of the crowd as the ball dropped and his putter fell to the ground. I was also hugely impressed that before his celebrations got too exuberant, he remembered where he was and turned to shake hands with Spieth as a matter of priority... which is, after all, what the game is all about. Isn't it?

There we have it, and my flight is only showing as 30 minutes late... at the moment!

spot on!

some double standards going on in this 'Golf' forum by a few

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Iv heard this story aswell, how can they have been there at 3.30am??? The gates didn't open to the public until 06.30 and with their allegedly being no access on foot means they must have came in on a train or a bus, the first buses left at 05.45, I'm unsure what time the trains left at but surely if they must have been in at the same time as thousands if other people.

As for the corporate in the first tee stand I'd estimate around 80/90% of the stand were genuine punters who had queued to get it. On the left hand side of those guys in the blue and yellow there were about 30/40 seats that were reserved which I'd guess was for corporate tickets.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
spot on!

some double standards going on in this 'Golf' forum by a few
Just curious why u put golf in ' ' .. totaly genuine question, ive no idea why ,

it like your questioning the GOLF part of the forum or something

Im not for a second saying your wrong on the double stansards thing either by the way

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really enjoyed it when Reed "ssssh'd" the crowd. Excellent response / banter. It was like pantomime, and that's what the Ryder cup is about ultimately.

What are people's opinions on the course itself? I've never played it and only have the opinion of a friend who has played it and said it's a fairly mediocre one with few memorable holes. Didn't look particularly great on TV I must admit, but my opinion may be tainted by my friends view!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not played it but went to the Johnnie Walker Classic last year and so got to see it without all of the crowds that covered it during the Ryder Cup. Looked the absolute bees knees to me and if I had the money to play it I would be there like a shot. It does not have the pretty flowers of an Augusta but the scenery is stunning and it is beautifully kept, as you would expect to be fair. If Gleneagles is mediocre then your friend must play some cracking courses. If money was no barrier then it would be one of my top 5 to play in the UK.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not played it but went to the Johnnie Walker Classic last year and so got to see it without all of the crowds that covered it during the Ryder Cup. Looked the absolute bees knees to me and if I had the money to play it I would be there like a shot. It does not have the pretty flowers of an Augusta but the scenery is stunning and it is beautifully kept, as you would expect to be fair. If Gleneagles is mediocre then your friend must play some cracking courses. If money was no barrier then it would be one of my top 5 to play in the UK.

Don't misquote me. Gleneagles is far from mediocre, in fact the Queens is one of his (and mine) all time favourite courses closely followed by the Kings. It was more the fact out of all the courses available, even at Gleneagles the PGA is the ugly dull sister of the other two. Like I said though, I haven't played it so I can't really comment.

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't misquote me. Gleneagles is far from mediocre, in fact the Queens is one of his (and mine) all time favourite courses closely followed by the Kings. It was more the fact out of all the courses available, even at Gleneagles the National is the ugly dull sister of the other two. Like I said though, I haven't played it so I can't really comment.

What's the saying?

"The centenary course is the fourth best course in Auchterarder" :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't misquote me. Gleneagles is far from mediocre, in fact the Queens is one of his (and mine) all time favourite courses closely followed by the Kings. It was more the fact out of all the courses available, even at Gleneagles the PGA is the ugly dull sister of the other two. Like I said though, I haven't played it so I can't really comment.

No problem. That would be some trip mind, playing all of the courses there to judge the best. The Centenary looked lovely so if the others are better in the opinion of others then they must be quite special.

Do they play the Centenary Course at pro events because it is the longest or is it simply tighter and more difficult than the other two?