Running Out Of Beer

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went to a 60th do on Saturday at MTFC, where they are renown for running out of alcohol before the night is over. not totally, just certain things which they haven't stocked up on. The place was rammed. Three staff on. One lady (50 ish), one young lad (about 25 ish) one young girl (just about 18). Very busy at the bar. Marsdens Pedigree on. Oooooo that will do nicely. It was rubbish. Next beer, I tried the MP smooth. Tasteless. Now what? I decided to go with cider. I like cider. Three pints later and I was getting nicely warmed up. Back to the bar for a top up. No cider left. No problem I'll have a bottle of cider. "Which one? Pear? Strawberry?" Er no I'll have apple, you know the right sort. "We have none" :confused: "Thing is we had a do on last night and cider was really popular. usually it the beer that's the most popular" the lady told me. "That should tell you how bad you're keeping your beer then!!!"
She didn't serve me for the rest of the night.

My lad and his girlfriend were thinking of having their wedding reception there next year, it right on our doorstep, but due to the clubs inability to get back to them, They are having it at my golf club. So that's over a grand the club will miss out on. And they claim they need funds. Utter poo!

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
"We have none" :confused: "Thing is we had a do on last night and cider was really popular. usually it the beer that's the most popular" the lady told me. "That should tell you how bad you're keeping your beer then!!!"
She didn't serve me for the rest of the night.

:rofl:
Brilliant.
I'll remember that one CF. Letting them know your not best pleased, whilst remaining civil. :thup:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
If there isn't craft beer, you might as well drink some meths for all the good you'll get flavour wise anyway. Stuff like Marston's, Timothy Taylor, Stella, Carling etc is absolute swill.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
MTFC as in Mansfield Town football club. Now that must of been a posh 60th do.😁

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it not Macclesfield Town?

Pedigree is either heavenly or dog awful and it is all about how the keep it and how often it moves through the lines. It is more temperamental than any other beer out there. It was very widespread in my home town in Cheshire growing up and the first sip was always a nervous one. Cracking beer if it is on form though.

D

Deleted member 1147

Is it not Macclesfield Town?

Pedigree is either heavenly or dog awful and it is all about how the keep it and how often it moves through the lines. It is more temperamental than any other beer out there. It was very widespread in my home town in Cheshire growing up and the first sip was always a nervous one. Cracking beer if it is on form though.

Pedigree is a terrible traveller - Outside Burton or Derby I won't touch it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If there isn't craft beer, you might as well drink some meths for all the good you'll get flavour wise anyway. Stuff like Marston's, Timothy Taylor, Stella, Carling etc is absolute swill.

How dare you! Timothy Taylor's Landlord is one of my faves. Holidaying in the Dale's near Keighley next month & there is a TT pub along the road with brilliant food & three different TT brews. Really looking forward to it.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
How dare you! Timothy Taylor's Landlord is one of my faves. Holidaying in the Dale's near Keighley next month & there is a TT pub along the road with brilliant food & three different TT brews. Really looking forward to it.

It's so incredibly bland. I like beer to taste of hops not just cheap malt and carbonation.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Totally agree, Landlord is great pint but like Black Sheep it doesn't seem to travel well.

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's so incredibly bland. I like beer to taste of hops not just cheap malt and carbonation.
Taste is such a personal thing, so no point disagreeing, but carbonation in cask ale ???
Not this side of the Pennines Kell.
Although to be fair I've never known it on your side either.;)

Keg though.. Yeesh, brew of the devil. Headaches for days after. :mad:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a sad confession to make, on the lines of BesC post. I used to love my beer, Boddies and Pedigree growing up in Cheshire, Black Sheep and others when I moved up to the NE. I have found that I simply can't drink those anymore without suffering very badly the next day, head and eleswhere. I've tried various beers and the outcome was the same. I don't drink much so it was not the impact of 8 pints, 2-3 would kill me off. I have had to move to European lagers, San Miguel, Peroni, Kronenbourg. Nice to drink and without the day after effects of proper beer. I miss proper beer but I can't go through the horrors it brings me anymore :(. There, I've said it.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Taste is such a personal thing, so no point disagreeing, but carbonation in cask ale ???
Not this side of the Pennines Kell.
Although to be fair I've never known it on your side either.;)

Keg though.. Yeesh, brew of the devil. Headaches for days after. :mad:

I meant the lager side of things when I was talking of carbonation.

I prefer bottle beers as a general rule, unfined and unpasteurised. The UK is blessed with so many superb craft breweries now - Cloudwater, The Kernal, Wild Beer, Brewdog (who do actually pasteurise surprisingly), Magic Rock, Mad Hatter, Hawkshead, Northern Monk. I could go on and on...

I don't get why, given how much easier it is to find craft beer now, people stick to "real ales" and the generic, mass produced, bland and insipid stuff the mainstream pubs have.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I have a sad confession to make, on the lines of BesC post. I used to love my beer, Boddies and Pedigree growing up in Cheshire, Black Sheep and others when I moved up to the NE. I have found that I simply can't drink those anymore without suffering very badly the next day, head and eleswhere. I've tried various beers and the outcome was the same. I don't drink much so it was not the impact of 8 pints, 2-3 would kill me off. I have had to move to European lagers, San Miguel, Peroni, Kronenbourg. Nice to drink and without the day after effects of proper beer. I miss proper beer but I can't go through the horrors it brings me anymore :(. There, I've said it.

you know I could of written that, but would also of stuck in Amstel, Birra Morretti. Bella Italia have a lovely Italian lager behind the bar, forgot what it's called.

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I meant the lager side of things when I was talking of carbonation.

I prefer bottle beers as a general rule, unfined and unpasteurised. The UK is blessed with so many superb craft breweries now - Cloudwater, The Kernal, Wild Beer, Brewdog (who do actually pasteurise surprisingly), Magic Rock, Mad Hatter, Hawkshead, Northern Monk. I could go on and on...

I don't get why, given how much easier it is to find craft beer now, people stick to "real ales" and the generic, mass produced, bland and insipid stuff the mainstream pubs have.

I thought so KF, just a gentle tug of the leg.:lol:
I 'm quite partial to a Punk IPA from Brewdog me self. Very tasty.

I'll always love a good bitter though, I blame brassbands, I was virtually weaned on the stuff. :cool:

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site

you know I could of written that, but would also of stuck in Amstel, Birra Morretti. Bella Italia have a lovely Italian lager behind the bar, forgot what it's called.

Aren't folk funny.
Last time I was wobbly of lager I couldn't get me head of the pillow for 2days.
Do the same with proper beer and I'm fine, raring 2 go again..... almost.:)

Tashyboy

Visit site
Aren't folk funny.
Last time I was wobbly of lager I couldn't get me head of the pillow for 2days.
Do the same with proper beer and I'm fine, raring 2 go again..... almost.:)

In the olden days when I worked underground, when we finished on afters we were in the pub for 7.45. The first pint literally never touched the sides, coz you were that dry and dehydrated. I would finish work with the intentions of having a skin full, but just was not in the mood for a beer. Other nights I would call in for a pint and end up leathered. I just had to be in the mood. Nowadays three pints and am full.

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the olden days when I worked underground, when we finished on afters we were in the pub for 7.45. The first pint literally never touched the sides, coz you were that dry and dehydrated. I would finish work with the intentions of having a skin full, but just was not in the mood for a beer. Other nights I would call in for a pint and end up leathered. I just had to be in the mood. Nowadays three pints and am full.

I, weekends only meself really, these days.
In't life a bugger. We finally don't have to be up everyday, and we really can't be mythered going on the lash.:eek:
Much more prefer a good eat, a glass or two of plonk and a couple of pints with some good friends. :thup:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had to laugh last week
I was having lunch at the Applecross Inn and a guy with an English accent asks for a half bitter shandy.
Everyone turns to look at him and you could have heard a pin drop.
Barman kept a straight face and served him a glass of lager tops

Have not heard that order for about 25 years.