Rules Scenario

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey guys

Played with a chap today who asked us our take on a query that came up in a round he played recently. Quite interesting really

He said he played his 2nd to a par 4 and came up short of the green. Another guy then hit his 2nd and the ball connected with the first guys ball and knocked it on the green.

What is the ruling ?

We all gave our opinions before I looked it up in the rule book for a definitive answer.

Ok lets have your answers off the top of heads

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
The original ball, ie the one that was hit by the incoming ball, placed back without penalty. The second ball must be played where it lies.

If the original ball is not replaced, there is a 2 stroke penalty. (Stroke play)

If the original ball is not put back, loss of hole (playing from the wrong spot). (Match play)

I think!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The moved ball must be replaced on or as near as possible to the spot where it was before moved. The second ball is played from where it comes to rest.

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The original ball, ie the one that was hit by the incoming ball, placed back without penalty. The second ball must be played where it lies.

If the original ball is not replaced, there is a 2 stroke penalty. (Stroke play)

If the original ball is not put back, loss of hole (playing from the wrong spot). (Match play)

I think!

Thats what i meant to say :D ;)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk

I think!

Thats what i meant to say :D ;)

Sorry. I think we were typing at the same time to the OP.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're all right of course but at the time we had a couple of different answers.

The chap whose ball it was that got hit and moved thought it was rub of the green and as he wasnt on the green just fairway He thought he should play it as it lay. His mates at the time said he should replace it but he wasnt sure and thats why he asked us.

Someone else thought that he could play it from the green aswell , thats why we had to look it up , to get rid of any confusion. When someone has an opposite opinion it creates a seed of doubt in your mind that needs to be cleared up.

Cheers guys you all passed :D

Sailor

Hacker
Visit site
Just a comment on your last post.

The question you originally asked has been correctly answered.(Rule 18)

You stated that one person thought that it was a rub of the green. Tell him that a rub of the green occurs when both balls are moving and one strikes the other (Rule 19)as opposed to when one of them is at rest.