rules query

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last weekend I played a high 6-iron which plugged in the first cut off the fairway. I said I was entitled to relief but my playing partner – no longer a friend – refused. Who's right?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
mmm - not sure bu can i add one to the pot - i played from a plugged lie on a bank of lake inside the red line (actually put it on the green) but what should i have done and if i wanted to take a drop where should i have gone or should i have got relief from the plug?!

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
I will try and clear these 2 points up.

Relief from a plugged lie is only available from closely mown areas cut to fairway height or less. If the course is very wet it is then up to the committee to add a local rule to allow releif from plugged lies anywhere on the course.
If you are are plugged in the rough I would check for casual water. If there is casual water you could then take relief from that.

The ball inside the red line is in the hazard so there would be no relief. If you were to take relief from the hazard it would under the penalty of one shot. I was going to write the 3 options for the drop but they are far too long. See Rule 26-1.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golfdonkey - intrigued to know why you were hitting a 6-iron that plugged just off the fairway. Was this somewhere up by the green or were you implementing some sort of girly lay-up plan off the tee??

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How very dare you Mr Unique. I was employing an iron off the tee strategy on a dogleg – which due to my prodigious driving power would have rendered driver useless.