Rules on Temporary Greens... anyone?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty much all of our temporary greens are situated just to the front of the main green, the 3rd in particular is highly likely to result in having to chip over part of the main green if taking relief from a ball that went over the temporary green. There is a narrow 'entrance' to the main green between bunkers so the NPR could mean having to chip over a bunker as well as a section of the main green.

I have taken relief several times after hitting my approach into one of the temporary greens too long and ending up on the main green and then being subjected to the ridicule of my PP's.

Am I right in thinking that a local rule can be put in place to state that the main green is part of the temporary green to negate the requirement to take relief?
1) Are you saying that the npr is not on the approach to the temp green. If the ball is so far behind the temp it must have been a pretty poor shot and perhaps you deserve what you get ;);)
But I suggest your committee rethink such locations.

2) The committee is responsible for defining the margin of the temporary green. I see no reason why the committee can't include the main green within that margin. What they can't do is require that only a putter may be used. And repair the resultant divot holes :eek:

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1) Are you saying that the npr is not on the approach to the temp green. If the ball is so far behind the temp it must have been a pretty poor shot and perhaps you deserve what you get ;);)
But I suggest your committee rethink such locations.

2) The committee is responsible for defining the margin of the temporary green. I see no reason why the committee can't include the main green within that margin. What they can't do is require that only a putter may be used. And repair the resultant divot holes :eek:

Oy!....I'm not that bad :ROFLMAO:

The temporary green is tiny, so very easy to go through it especially when there is a frost :oops:

So you are suggesting that there would have to be a local rule in place to include the main green as being within the margin of the temporary green? Otherwise being on the main green is a wrong green and compulsory relief?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you are suggesting that there would have to be a local rule in place to include the main green as being within the margin of the temporary green? Otherwise being on the main green is a wrong green and compulsory relief?
Not quite. My original thought was that the committee must simply define the margin of any relevant temporary green to include the surface on the main green.
However, I am now having second thoughts. The definition of a Wrong Green is very specific.
Any green on the course other than the putting green for the hole the player is playing. Wrong greens include: The normal putting green for a hole where a temporary green is being used.
The committee has no authority to change a Rule of Golf but it's not clear if they can change a Definition.
I'll find out.

Last edited: