Hybrid Greens

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
We have worked on lots of hybrid football pitches.
They work on the principal that the plastic is x mm long and the grass is growing alongside it is 2mm longer .
So the mowers don’t cut the plastic.
It’s fantastic for sports that include studded boots as has been said it firms everything up.

I have never seen a hybrid golf green.
Greens require a lot more maintenance than a longer grass footy pitch.
Would you damage the structure cutting holes in different places. Or have several pre determined pin placements.?
Footy pitches are very flat greens need an element of slope this would need preforming to work.
The pitchmark would be a thing of the past as hybrid pitches are rock hard ,it’s why they are watered before a game and at half time to stop “ carpet burns” on players and make the ball fizz of the surface.

The green speeds would be a concern for me how would you regulate it if you got as low as the plastic blade.
The edges of the greens ( where it meets the grass) fairways would dry out in hot weather imo,
Leading to ruts around the greens , how would they get cut .

Sounds like a good idea in principle but I just think of how they are maintained
Will special mowers be needed ( no on footy pitches)
But the grasses on greens is so fine I don’t think it could survive a hot spell in sparse quantities if half the green was plastic ,it would need constant watering, water is very expensive now.

I've seen comments to the effect that studies are being/to be carried out into injuries on football pitches ,which are apparently on the increase; do you think these firmer pitches could be an issue?

Mandofred

Visit site
I've seen comments to the effect that studies are being/to be carried out into injuries on football pitches ,which are apparently on the increase; do you think these firmer pitches could be an issue?
American football has had a big push in recent years to get rid of artificial grass.....based on too many injuries.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
American football has had a big push in recent years to get rid of artificial grass.....based on too many injuries.

artifical pitches like 3G or 4G are just awful, incredibly hard on the joints because there's little give and horrible friction burns.

Hybrid pitches are much different, and feel like playing on regular grass, because the plastic is laid on the turf you still get the same give, opposed to 3G which are laid on concrete

Mandofred

Visit site
artifical pitches like 3G or 4G are just awful, incredibly hard on the joints because there's little give and horrible friction burns.

Hybrid pitches are much different, and feel like playing on regular grass, because the plastic is laid on the turf you still get the same give, opposed to 3G which are laid on concrete
Yeah, I know there are a lot of differences. I can still remember back to the 80's and seeing some artificial turfs and just shuddering to think about falling (rock hard) and sliding (goodbye skin). They should be able at this time to come up with something that is the best of both worlds. I still think that Wimbledon should toss out grass and put in a synthetic surface that mimics the speed, low bounce of grass. Better than playing on what turns into the bare ground that they get towards the end of 2 weeks of playing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I do but I am no expert.
When I played football ( years ago)
My knees ,ankles and hips used to hurt me afterwards playing on Astroturf.
The modern surfaces are far better now but the impact on your joints must be heightened by firmer surfaces.
Hybrid ( desso )pitches we have worked on are rock hard.

I would think in terms of a pitchmark in golf.
Grass leaves a mark where the impact of a ball transfers its energy into the ground.
On firmer surfaces the energy stays in the ball so it bounces further through.
If that impact energy transfers into your joints then yes imo it must lead to more injuries over time.

Also if your studs get caught in grass there is a certain amount of give in it.
On this artificial turf your going to twist your joints as your weight transfers and no give in the ground.

As I say I am no expert in sports injury ,but this is just my take on it.