Animal hole in bunker face.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Having recently done some research to find an old decision I am wondering if the decision would apply in principal these days.

Decision 33.8/19
Committee Procedures 2I and 8E-1 contain the current guidance on dropping zones. Those specific words have not been mapped across from the old Decision

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having recently done some research to find an old decision I am wondering if the decision would apply in principal these days.

Decision 33.8/19

...... such a local rule/dropping zone just to avoid such adverse circumstances is not appropriate. "It is not abnormal for areas adjacent to paved paths to have dense underbrush, trees, sharp slopes, etc, thereby providing no practical relief.....Furthermore, it would not be appropriate to establish dropping zones on the fairway side of the path to alleviate the problem."

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Steven has referenced. I'm very comfortable about a DZ in the situation. It is a No Play Zone because we want to protect the wildflower seeding and now extended to protect newly planted shrubs on a bank rising from the back of a green. The NPZ is in a PA rather than GUR so that the player does not get an out of jail free card from what, had he been obliged to play his ball as it lay, would be a very difficult lie in long grass on a fairly steep slope. The penalty stroke deals with that and the DZ can be placed to replicate the challenge of landing the ball across the slope in the right place on a tricky green. The only alternative would be stroke and distance which would be unreasonably penal and very time-consuming.