Rugby Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Grizzly

Visit site
He has run into Steward who turns to protect himself in the split second he has to think - it looks bad in slow mo not not sure what else he could do.

It looked bad in slow motion, but a lot of that was because - in the split second of realising a car crash was inevitable - Steward turned side on and Keenan dipped sharply. If they'd both turned side on, no big deal.

Common sense disappeared.

What offended me wasn't so much the contact or the decision. It was the Ireland players pleading for cards. It was like watching Premier League football, and that's not my sport.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good Six Nations.
Not a lot between the six teams and some great games.
Looking good for the World Cup.

Scotland have improved a lot this year, but they have got an absolutely stinking draw in the WC, same group as Ireland and SA. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make the draw 3 years ahead of the tournament needs their head examining.

Reactions: Val

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It looked bad in slow motion, but a lot of that was because - in the split second of realising a car crash was inevitable - Steward turned side on and Keenan dipped sharply. If they'd both turned side on, no big deal.

Common sense disappeared.

What offended me wasn't so much the contact or the decision. It was the Ireland players pleading for cards. It was like watching Premier League football, and that's not my sport.

It's been creeping in like a bad stink. Feigning injury, theatrics and calling for cards. Hate it...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's still a red card, he even said in the article "by the letter of the law, led to a red card". It might be a harsh red but it's still a red.

I am not as convinced but can see both sides. There is an argument as to whether it is even technically a foul rather than a collision that is a rugby incident. Certainly the lack of time to avoid is classed as a mitigating factor to bring it to a yellow or even lower. Will be interested to see how the citing panel rule on it on Tuesday.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn’t convinced about the red either, none of the Irish players seemed bothered about it until the crowd started oooing during the super slo mo replay where obviously it looked far worse than it was.
Not sure what the England player was supposed to do, he saw the ref had called a foul and was both trying to stop and go side on to avoid a big impact, it was the Irish player who decided to keep playing (first appeared to try and kick the ball then picked it up) and ran straight into him. Spoiled the game for me and I didn’t bother watching the second half because of it. I haven’t heard one person who’s quoted the “duty of care” line actually say what he should/could have done differently.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know we all want to see less head injuries in the game, but there Has next to no comment on Gary Ringrose and his head injury after driving his head into the players hip. I accept his head was on the wrong side, but he probably has had the worst head injury of the 6 Nations but from contact in the area that the RFU are driving for.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's still a red card, he even said in the article "by the letter of the law, led to a red card". It might be a harsh red but it's still a red.

To me it seemed like a rugby incident - just a collision, it Steward was going for the tackle then you can see a red card but in tbe split second he was protecting himself from a collision with someone dropping their head down - there is nothing he could do to avoid it, there was mitigation there Imo

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know we all want to see less head injuries in the game, but there Has next to no comment on Gary Ringrose and his head injury after driving his head into the players hip. I accept his head was on the wrong side, but he probably has had the worst head injury of the 6 Nations but from contact in the area that the RFU are driving for.

Case and point for a ridiculous law. Lowering the tackle height won't reduce head injuries.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Looks like it has been rescinded. Panel found that there was enough mitigation tp make it a yellow and I suspect even that may be a bit harsh.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
But between the ref and useless TMO, the spectacle was ruined and an excellent game of rugby ruined.

Totally agree, I also think that the ruling was fudged so as not to penalise Steward but also so as not to throw the ref under the bus in the face of a lot of media interest. I was actually expecting red card upheld but no further ban or suspension. Honestly still think it was a rugby incident play on but I appreciate that I am a Tigers and England fan and so my opinion may not be totally unbiased.

Still, means Steward is free to play for us at the weekend. We could have a back line of Watson, Steward and Brown, not sure I would fancy kicking back to those 3. How often do you have the last 3 England full backs in one squad.

WGCRider

Visit site
To me it seemed like a rugby incident - just a collision, it Steward was going for the tackle then you can see a red card but in tbe split second he was protecting himself from a collision with someone dropping their head down - there is nothing he could do to avoid it, there was mitigation there Imo

This is the thing. At first I thought it was total nonsense. But in hindsight I'm starting to agree with the ref. If Steward had carried on playing it would have been a rugby incident. There would have been head contact but the mitigation would be that he was low down etc. But he didn't play on. He stopped - likely cause of the knock on - he protected himself but not the other player. He has made dangerous contact with the head, so what is the mitigation? He made the wrong choice and the punishment for that is red.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree, I also think that the ruling was fudged so as not to penalise Steward but also so as not to throw the ref under the bus in the face of a lot of media interest. I was actually expecting red card upheld but no further ban or suspension. Honestly still think it was a rugby incident play on but I appreciate that I am a Tigers and England fan and so my opinion may not be totally unbiased.

Still, means Steward is free to play for us at the weekend. We could have a back line of Watson, Steward and Brown, not sure I would fancy kicking back to those 3. How often do you have the last 3 England full backs in one squad.

Kick to Brown, you at least know he won't pass the ball ;)

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the thing. At first I thought it was total nonsense. But in hindsight I'm starting to agree with the ref. If Steward had carried on playing it would have been a rugby incident. There would have been head contact but the mitigation would be that he was low down etc. But he didn't play on. He stopped - likely cause of the knock on - he protected himself but not the other player. He has made dangerous contact with the head, so what is the mitigation? He made the wrong choice and the punishment for that is red.

Utter rubbish