Rugby Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Budds

Banned
Visit site
As an Englishman, this sucks. He should be serving a 10 game ban, pure and simple.
I just hope (probably no chance) that Borthwick decides to drop him altogether, as Farrell is a liabililty and every team now has his mark.
I'm inclined to think that for World Cups, bans should be suspended for the duration of the WC, though perhaps with some exceptions for severe cases. It's likely to get to the point where WC players will make themselves unavailable for WC warmups for fear of accidentally offending dangerously or, as seems possible, or even likely as in this case, having authorities whitewash the offense.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does not help that the unions hype and package warm up matches as full do or die matches and the media pin everything on the result. These should be played to get match fitness and try out options and ignore the result but that does not fill Twickenham so everyone goes at it full bore hence injuries and suspension

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does not help that the unions hype and package warm up matches as full do or die matches and the media pin everything on the result. These should be played to get match fitness and try out options and ignore the result but that does not fill Twickenham so everyone goes at it full bore hence injuries and suspension
Certainly should not be caps awarded imo

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get that, but you can't really play "friendly rugby matches". My issue is how close to the tournament, but also how stupid some have been.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is now talk of Josh Adams and his football cheating antics. He and Steward went for a high ball and there was undeniable contact. However, Adams went down holding his head......1) replays show his head was not touched 2) if it was touched, then why didn't he follow protocols and have an HIA....because there was no head contact. Adams accused of gamesmanship to get a play yellow or red carded.....keep this rubbish in football pleaee

Budds

Banned
Visit site
There is now talk of Josh Adams and his football cheating antics. He and Steward went for a high ball and there was undeniable contact. However, Adams went down holding his head......1) replays show his head was not touched 2) if it was touched, then why didn't he follow protocols and have an HIA....because there was no head contact. Adams accused of gamesmanship to get a play yellow or red carded.....keep this rubbish in football pleaee
I'd prefer it was eliminated from BOTH games. I'd be hoping that a yellow was shown to Adams.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Saw that at the time. For me Wales have been at this for some time!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Wales must of being poor today to get beat by that scoreline...
On the Owen Farrell incident, my thoughts are it's happened before the tournament began, I'd like every team to be able to start with the squad they want then whatever happens during the tournament, punished from then onwards, this should be for any sport.

On another note, the new Dan Carter book (The Art of Winning) is superb, well worth a read, the strength of his mentality is crazy.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Wales must of being poor today to get beat by that scoreline...
On the Owen Farrell incident, my thoughts are it's happened before the tournament began, I'd like every team to be able to start with the squad they want then whatever happens during the tournament, punished from then onwards, this should be for any sport.

On another note, the new Dan Carter book (The Art of Winning) is superb, well worth a read, the strength of his mentality is crazy.

I disagree on this, it basically gives the players carte blanche in games before the tournament which, if they are billed as "test" matches, should be subject to the same disciplinary process as any other game.

Ironically, the Owen Farrell incident highlights how the disciplinary process SHOULD work for lesser offences - red card in the match, mitigating circumstances/rugby incident, no further action required. Nobody's world Cup gets ruined.

However, in this particular incident I don't personally believe there was sufficient mitigation, especially when you consider that his right arm (I think) was never in a position to wrap.

England look dreadful though, so slow between sets and the players looking around as if they don't know where they're meant to be going next, or wondering where their support is. I trust that Borthwick has a very structured gameplay but currently his players don't seem to know or understand what that is yet. The only times they've looked remotely dangerous is when they're behind and they're chasing a game in the last 15 mins.

Feeling really underwhelmed heading into this world Cup.

On the plus side the France Fiji game has been a cracker!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also on a bright note the Irish pundit who was so blinkered and biased it was beyond ridiculous didn't get his "Ireland by 40 points" prediction. I had to turn over as every time he spoke it was ridiculous.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Billy V decision next, expect.the same 4 weeks ban
To be fair, Billy does not have form and has not taken tackle school so 6 halved to 3 with a week off for tackle school. Fiji match on Saturday is match one so will only miss the Argentina pool game