RRP of balls. Is it getting beyond ridiculous?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Golf balls and their prices are much like cars for many people.

Some people base their choice on what they like and want to be seen with more than what would really make sense in a practical way.
The price is then, to a great extent, based on the perceived superiority of the product and what people are prepared to pay to buy in to that perceived superior category.

Finding your way through the advertising and marketing to the facts is a matter for your own intellect, experience and choice.

For those who like to buy and play with expensive balls most of the time - I can't say that they are making a bad choice because they are mostly very good balls. Their production costs however do not merit the high prices in my view.

Anecdote.
I won a club comp on 13/4/2019 (found it on My England Golf) on a very frosty morning, when I chose not to fight the extreme conditions, but to run with it with a Srixon distance. Took maximum advantage of run on the fairways and played a few good running shots onto the greens, like using a 6-iron from 100 yards when a wedge would simply hit the green and bound over the back. Won the comp by 4 shots and my gross one-under-par 69 was the best by 6-shots.
What puzzled me was my playing partners not adapting to the conditions, measuring distance in their usual way and playing the same club choice and shot as normal conditions with their usual premium ball. They did not change, despite seeing my better results on several holes.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I once shot a personal best and won the comp with a crivit ball from Lidl.

I hadn't yet been polluted by marketing and or science.
I also play in ireland which tend to have much softer conditions that most of England for much of the year reducing the need for spin to stop the ball.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Anecdote.
I won a club comp on 13/4/2019 (found it on My England Golf) on a very frosty morning, when I chose not to fight the extreme conditions, but to run with it with a Srixon distance. Took maximum advantage of run on the fairways and played a few good running shots onto the greens, like using a 6-iron from 100 yards when a wedge would simply hit the green and bound over the back. Won the comp by 4 shots and my gross one-under-par 69 was the best by 6-shots.
What puzzled me was my playing partners not adapting to the conditions, measuring distance in their usual way and playing the same club choice and shot as normal conditions with their usual premium ball. They did not change, despite seeing my better results on several holes.
It's rare I play winter golf, indeed competitively that's my clubs away now as from Saturday, and likely won't see much daylight in general now. But this absolutely, and not just if it's rock hard, but also if it's soft, why waste an expensive ball on conditions where anything stops, or nothing stops. I've still got a half dozen bricks in sleeves from years ago for just such conditions, the fact I still have them mostly down to aforesaid lack of winter play.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was doing some more research (via MyGolfSpy's 2021 ball test as usual) and it looks like the AVX would be a really good ball for me. I just really don't think I'm willing to spend £45 on a box of balls. I don't lose too many, but as soon as I start paying that you can bet I will!
I really like the AVX. Never paid £45 as I have bought last years model on ebay.Screenshot_20221017-095322_eBay.jpg

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I once shot a personal best and won the comp with a crivit ball from Lidl.

I hadn't yet been polluted by marketing and or science.
I also play in ireland which tend to have much softer conditions that most of England for much of the year reducing the need for spin to stop the ball.
I got my first hio a few weeks ago. It's oob left and dead right so I pulled out a dirty old scuffed up top flight. What a wounder!!!! ?

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Still playing Titleist NXT Tours, that I bought a stock of at a good price years ago, I have tried the Honma's recommended on here and find them similar so bought a couple of dozen to add to the pile.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The economic theory is sound, but the anecdote is about "course management!" ???
Very true.
But on that day, my brick's worth or true value was 3-times their premium ball, not the other way round.
They were not able to break away from their fixed idea of what was the best ball to play with.
They were not able to play shots that they "don't like" playing with a ball that they "don't like" playing with.

Practicality and necessity trumps wanting and liking for me, nearly always. This applies to a lot more than golf.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My only ever under par round came during a period where I was actually playing poor stuff. I'd usually use what would be classed as a premium ball, pro v or equivalent. But on that occasion I used a Bridgestone E6 which was a fairly budget ball. If playing well not sure ball matters to the extent people think