Royal Troon and the environment

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've reused the same plastic bottle for about 3 months now and I haven't died. What's wrong with reusing them? Why does it have to be some specially designed drinking vessel?
It doesn't but the reality is most of those bottles are made with incredibly thin walled plastic in order to keep the cost down. They are not designed for repeated use. The re-usable bottles are made to last, either with thicker plstic or aluminium. Keep using the one you have, why not, but at some point it is likely to become unusable.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've reused the same plastic bottle for about 3 months now and I haven't died. What's wrong with reusing them? Why does it have to be some specially designed drinking vessel?
Yep. Unless I'm missing something these blighters last forever which is exactly the problem.
Buying waste because we can't plan ahead or just be bothered is one of the many reasons the planet is disappearing down the plughole. Let's just stop doing it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Profit will always be the main problem. Bottled water in the pro shop makes money, having a water dispenser costs money. Some clubs do similar, Belton Woods used to have a big water dispenser on the bar with fruit etc in to add flavour and you can help yourself. Many clubs, however, will look at the profit in the pro shop above all else and that is wrong.

To my mind, the idea does not go far enough. How many clubs have a coffee machine that is only big enough to take the provided plastic or paper cups (with plastic lids). Fit a machine that will take and fill a standard travel cup and you save more waste. To a bigger extreme, you could even get rid of selling bottled coke etc and use a dispenser that you can fill your own cup with. That could actually boost profits, the mix is cheaper but you could charge the same for a filling your bottle as you do for a plastic one.

The technology and products are there, sadly profit will stop many clubs adopting it.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
....keeps cold stuff cold and hot stuff hot all the way round 18 holes.... :)

I keep mine in the wee cooler pocket in my bag. Does a decent job apart from this week when it has been warm for Northern Ireland. Normally not an issue keeping something cool :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

From what I’ve read into this before is that a plastic bottle when frozen or exposed to heat changes the plastic can form with the fluid inside a bit. So basically your bottle you might end up with micro traces of plastic inside you

Also sell by dates on bottles of water .. it’s not the water , it’s the plastic that’s going out of date

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
From what I’ve read into this before is that a plastic bottle when frozen or exposed to heat changes the plastic can form with the fluid inside a bit. So basically your bottle you might end up with micro traces of plastic inside you

Also sell by dates on bottles of water .. it’s not the water , it’s the plastic that’s going out of date

Yeah I have heard that but then on the other hand you hear that the plastic doesn't break down for millions of years.

I am sure there are lots of other things which will kill me before drinking out of a plastic water bottle which has gone out of date.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to use whatever old plastic bottle I have kicking around - but they don't keep water cold. I tend to fill my plastic bottle from the water dispenser on the bar counter, and then from the two water fountains/taps we have on the course.

As OP - my club shop has started selling club branded thermos style metal water bottles. We don't have filtered water dispenser in the shop - good idea - will suggest. I will be buying a metal bottle. I should actually have a separate reusable coffee cup for my halfway house coffee.

As the club owns the shop and stock we may lose some sales of water - and some profit - but we still sell cold drinks at the halfway house.
We're thinking of introducing a discounted price (on hot drinks) for folk who bring along their own re-useable cup.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I have heard that but then on the other hand you hear that the plastic doesn't break down for millions of years.

I am sure there are lots of other things which will kill me before drinking out of a plastic water bottle which has gone out of date.

Oh your not wrong there I’m sure , however it’s a legal thing. They won’t legally be allowed to sell it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We're thinking of introducing a discounted price (on hot drinks) for folk who bring along their own re-useable cup.

I was eyeing up Mrs Hogie's Waitrose re-usable coffee cup - but I had my knuckles rapped as she doesn't get her free coffee without it...will get one of these myself...

Last edited: