Next Top Course To Play

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
no no sorry sorry. Gosh that's quick. I'm not saying I'm adverse to popular just well, the Old Course is the megga megga one that some would pick because it's the Old Course and I get that, but really it's the ONLY one I'd give a swerve to. Sorry sorry to everyone who love the OC.
possible thing to take into account is that if you go to play TOC (it is brilliant) is that you are also spending time in St Andrews, which is a wonderful place in itself, plus you’d have a raft of other top courses in the same spot

D

Deleted Member 1156

It’s very near the top of my bucket list

The NLU boys eulogised about it, and the trickery of it too.

In terms of plotting, do you need primarily with tee-shots and avoiding bunkers eg using woods/irons off tees instead of Driver?
I think it tests every aspect of your game. Yes some holes are definitely not driver (or vice versa definitely not irons as you can take the trouble out of play) You have to miss in the right place as well. When I played they had just reduced the number of bunkers down to 190 so you certainly have to think where you want to hit the ball.

Visit site
Hoping to play Bonville in NSW come March. The ‘Augusta’ of Australia by all accounts. Although having played Mollymook Hilltop last week it definitely had the Augusta ‘vibe’ on more than a few holes. Especially this year with it being so green and lush as opposed to when I played it last year where it was ‘browned off’ burnt and covered in dead leaves and debris from the bush fires we had round these parts.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
TOC is my next big one to tick off For me.

I might play others before then if the opportunity arises, but a Scottish trip is planned for 2022.

From the places others have mentioned. Sunningdale (both courses) is a cracking trip.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Hoping to play Bonville in NSW come March. The ‘Augusta’ of Australia by all accounts. Although having played Mollymook Hilltop last week it definitely had the Augusta ‘vibe’ on more than a few holes. Especially this year with it being so green and lush as opposed to when I played it last year where it was ‘browned off’ burnt and covered in dead leaves and debris from the bush fires we had round these parts.

I played Bonville in 2016. Our cousin had her wedding ceremony on the 1st fairway, and the reception on the lawn behind the 18th Green. We played the course day after. Super place, wish I'd had my own clubs.

The top UK courses have gone nuts if its over £200 a round. Played most of them in the 90s for a quarter of that or less.

evemccc

Visit site
TOC is my next big one to tick off For me.

I might play others before then if the opportunity arises, but a Scottish trip is planned for 2022.

From the places others have mentioned. Sunningdale (both courses) is a cracking trip.

How does the H4H get organised? Is it some kind soul who organises it and chooses? I’d love to play at Sunningdale or Swinley...
?

Reactions: Zig
D

Deleted Member 1156

How does the H4H get organised? Is it some kind soul who organises it and chooses? I’d love to play at Sunningdale or Swinley...
?
Yes it is organised by a kind soul on here (y) Open to everyone on the forum so keep your eyes peeled on the arrange a game section for details later in the year.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The St Andrews "experience" is just fabulous, being in and around the town, especially staying in a flat on the main drag and being able to walk everywhere, but if you're not interested in The Old Course, I'd plumb for Royal Dornoch. I may be a bit biased with my lad being based up there, but it's the best course that I've played personally. There are some fabulous views, and holes, the greens are a tad difficult in parts but we had smiles on our face from start to finish. Can't wait to go back and play again.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Because I am now of a certain age Burnham and Berrow Seniors Open £65 inc meal afterwards, be rude not too. Never played it normal GF £165 which is probably why

Mandofred

Visit site
If it costs more than £50, I'm out. It's just golf. But then again....I also wouldn't spend £30k+ on a car, or £6 for a beer.

For me it would be of a question of what courses are the best for £50 or less in this part of the country.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it costs more than £50, I'm out. It's just golf. But then again....I also wouldn't spend £30k+ on a car, or £6 for a beer.

For me it would be of a question of what courses are the best for £50 or less in this part of the country.

This thread is about top courses. Plenty courses that charge > £50 are far from being top courses unfortunately.

Mandofred

Visit site
This thread is about top courses. Plenty courses that charge > £50 are far from being top courses unfortunately.
There are different ways of determining what a top course is. Yes, I understand what you are saying (the best of the best of the best...sir! Men in Black).....unfortunately with money almost being no object. Now I wouldn't pay £100+ to play a round of golf.....but Moortown is usually considered a pretty quality course and I could play there for £60 (still too steep for me...I can afford it, but I won't pay it) after 4pm (obviously summer). The courses that are being mentioned are great golf courses evidently.....but wouldn't Moortown fit into that at a lesser price point? Everything being considered as "beauty in the eye of the holder" so to speak. A top course for me might not be a top course for you....but that doesn't mean it isn't a top course.

D

Deleted Member 1156

There are different ways of determining what a top course is. Yes, I understand what you are saying (the best of the best of the best...sir! Men in Black).....unfortunately with money almost being no object. Now I wouldn't pay £100+ to play a round of golf.....but Moortown is usually considered a pretty quality course and I could play there for £60 (still too steep for me...I can afford it, but I won't pay it) after 4pm (obviously summer). The courses that are being mentioned are great golf courses evidently.....but wouldn't Moortown fit into that at a lesser price point? Everything being considered as "beauty in the eye of the holder" so to speak. A top course for me might not be a top course for you....but that doesn't mean it isn't a top course.
There is a pretty standard, accepted method of determining what a 'top' course constitutes. If you look at any of the major ranking lists (Golf Monthly/Golf World etc) you will see basically the same 100 courses but in a slightly different order. Sure, you can say that your local municipal is a top course but don't expect many people to agree with you.

D

Deleted member 15344

There are a number of “lists” that whilst subjective are 9/10 pretty similar and they provide a good list to work from

There are many ways that even some of the top courses that they can be played at below the published green fee - playing with a member etc

Moortown is in the list of courses in that area that would be classed as a top course

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
apart from home course, not sure if any club matches will happen - if they do, some other nice courses will be on the list

Then a little wales trip for September to do Tenbby, Ashburnham and Pennard - and maybe P&K as well

Others potentially on the hit list for 2021 and 20022 in the South that I fancy if time: Knowle Park, Leighton Buzzard, Littlestone, Princes, Isle of Purbeck, London Club, Chart Hills, Reigate Heath, Effingham, Stoneham, Cleve Hill, Kington, Painswick, Piltdown, Royal Worlington, Ipswich, Aldeburgh, Woodbridge, Thorpeness,

D-S

Visit site
apart from home course, not sure if any club matches will happen - if they do, some other nice courses will be on the list

Then a little wales trip for September to do Tenbby, Ashburnham and Pennard - and maybe P&K as well

Others potentially on the hit list for 2021 and 20022 in the South that I fancy if time: Knowle Park, Leighton Buzzard, Littlestone, Princes, Isle of Purbeck, London Club, Chart Hills, Reigate Heath, Effingham, Stoneham, Cleve Hill, Kington, Painswick, Piltdown, Royal Worlington, Ipswich, Aldeburgh, Woodbridge, Thorpeness,

i would cross Cleeve Hill off your list as it is being closed - great shame as it is a real one-off.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was thinking. I've not played many "top" rated courses. Carnoustie being THE one I wanted to play and have done so, but I have got a hankering to play another, just don't really know which one as I'm not really bothered but would like to add another. (Yes I know, if I'm not bothered then why bother?) There are a few on here that have played quite a few of them so my question is :-

If you can play only one "top" rated course which one would be be and why?

Please could you just stick to answering the question and not add in "honorable mentions" etc as this muddies the water and I'd like to have a clear answer. Then I can make a decision. I'm gonna trust you all on this. So no Royal Malkins (if you've played it you'd know) answers please.

Royal County Down, because it has just about everything, employ a caddy and have the best time you will ever have on a golf course, it will most likely beat you up but you will finish feeling better than when you started