Royal Troon and the environment

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I was reading on another site that Royal Troon as of spring 2019 have banned the sale of single use plastic bottles. They have instead installed a filtered and chilled water dispenser in the Pro Shop and encourage golfers to fill up prior to golf. They also sell Royal Troon branded thermos style metal water bottles at a very reasonable price to encourage you to continually fill up for free and lessen the impact on the environment.

They claim to be the first club in the UK to do this, I think its brilliant and wish more would follow suit.

I have bought a couple of these bottles earlier in the year and now use them for work and on the course. Previously I would buy crates of water from Costco, drink and bin the plastic bottle. Sdly our country are not as advanced as other European countries who encourage plastic recycling at shops, however that is another argument.

Well done Royal Troon and I would encourage all committee/council members on here to bring it up at your club as a suggestion.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 750ml metal flask for water on my rounds. To be honest the environmental issue for me is secondary to the fact those flasks keep the water nice and cold for the whole round! It's just better in every way. :p

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best water for me comes out of my tap, so I never understand why so many by bottled water.
I have a couple of years old Sigg bottles I aloways use. My club also has an outside tap with water off the main, and one of those metal twist the knob, spout and cup things schools used to have on the same pipework.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm also an aluminium flask person, after years of buying lovely but bad for your teeth Lucozade Sport. It failed yesterday mind in the heat, warm water by the 16th :(. There is clearly a move to encourage this to happen now, this occurred at The Open as well but there are some obstructions. One, it is a revenue loss to clubs who sell water and other bottled drinks in the pro shop. Next, there are few places with taps mid course and we can't really expect that to change too much. However, the sentiment is great and the plastic bag charge has shown that the throwaway culture can change.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have just had a tap put on the first tee on the starters office, there is also one on the 11th tee. We did have a number of water dispensers dotted around the course, but there was some sort of H&S issue so they were all removed. i believe a couple more taps will be installed ready for next year.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm also an aluminium flask person, after years of buying lovely but bad for your teeth Lucozade Sport. It failed yesterday mind in the heat, warm water by the 16th :(. There is clearly a move to encourage this to happen now, this occurred at The Open as well but there are some obstructions. One, it is a revenue loss to clubs who sell water and other bottled drinks in the pro shop. Next, there are few places with taps mid course and we can't really expect that to change too much. However, the sentiment is great and the plastic bag charge has shown that the throwaway culture can change.

Revenue loss shouldn't even enter the equation when it's the environment we are talking about.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Revenue loss shouldn't even enter the equation when it's the environment we are talking about.
That's an ideal thought but not reality. If it costs someones job people are not going to take that decision lightly.

I'm in agreement, as I mentioned I am already using a bottle that I fill and take to the course, but as a business golf clubs have to make money where they can. Troon can cover the costs no problem, harder for regular clubs.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have just had a tap put on the first tee on the starters office, there is also one on the 11th tee. We did have a number of water dispensers dotted around the course, but there was some sort of H&S issue so they were all removed. i believe a couple more taps will be installed ready for next year.

But will be switched off around about late October once the frost comes in. Again H&S.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site

Good on troon, hopefully more follow suit.

Shouldn't enter the equation but i fear it unfortunately will.

With the retainer most pro's are on I imagine most will begrudge and avoid cutting sales of water and energy drinks due to revenue loss claiming financial hardship. But it can be offset to a degree against providing environmentally friendly vessels that can be purchased as you mentioned troon are looking to do. I suppose if it's the only option someone has when they go to the pro shop they will have to suck it up and buy one which hopefully they will re-use moving forward.

It's a change we need to make at consumer level to make these big brands change their ways and packaging.

I always fill a 1.5 litre glass bottle of water and take it with me and re-fill it half way around and at the spring on the 13th. The amount of people I see (especially societies and greenfees) rock up and first thing they do is buy 2 to 3 bottles of water/pop and a couple of chocolate bars is incredible.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed - but try telling that to the Pro whose profit it is (rather than the club's).

Drinking fountains need to be regularly maintained/cleaned to avoid the risk of Legionella - especially if the water pipes are prone to being warmed by the sun (Not sure that's a problem up your neck of the woods :)). Some places avoid the cost of maintenance by taking them out.

I think we have pretty decent access to water around our place. Water coolers in locker rooms from which you can fill bottles, and also a similar cooler at the halfway hut accessible from the 8th & 13th tees (I know, I know, - don't ask). And two on-course drinking fountains which are accessible as you approach the 4th, 7th, 15th & 16th tees. You have to be barny, rich, or both if you feel the need to buy a bottle from the Pro.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I take a refillable bottle with me on the course but it usually holds enough I don't need to top it up. Drinks and chocolates are not only an additional revenue stream for our club pro but are also another way of getting people into the shop who may then browse around and buy something else.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You sound surprised. You can buy a dozen pack of water out of Aldi/Lidl for £1.99 yet most pro shops sell them for a £1 a bottle, that's quite a margin.

Costco 40 bottles £3.50 ish, including vat

£1 in my local shop (same bottle)

Played a 4 ball yesterday and took 26 bottles for the group In a cool bag shoved on back of buggy so we didn’t overheat .. 5 frozen ones, few made into lemon squash

The club drove round selling drinks.. £3 a coke.. no thanks .. paid less than that for all these

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Me too. Got a 750ml flask, decent quality one, a couple of ice cubes, water and its cold all the way round... even this week when my eye balls were boiling out!

Pro profits might take a hit, but single use plastics for daft stuff has to be cut.... next those dam coffee pods and contact lens cases!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Costco 40 bottles £3.50 ish, including vat

£1 in my local shop (same bottle)

Played a 4 ball yesterday and took 26 bottles for the group In a cool bag shoved on back of buggy so we didn’t overheat .. 5 frozen ones, few made into lemon squash

The club drove round selling drinks.. £3 a coke.. no thanks .. paid less than that for all these

26 wasted bottles though going to landfill.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
26 wasted bottles though going to landfill.

Could be.. however did take them home to go in local recycling. They do say they can be recycled ..

Your right tho they won’t be.. but on a hot day like yest 750ml bottles won’t cut it

Normally I take 3 bottles of water plus a 500ml flask of water .. try to only use the 500ml flask and have rest as back up

Yesterday was a bit of a different situation

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've reused the same plastic bottle for about 3 months now and I haven't died. What's wrong with reusing them? Why does it have to be some specially designed drinking vessel?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I tend to use whatever old plastic bottle I have kicking around - but they don't keep water cold. I tend to fill my plastic bottle from the water dispenser on the bar counter, and then from the two water fountains/taps we have on the course.

As OP - my club shop has started selling club branded thermos style metal water bottles. We don't have filtered water dispenser in the shop - good idea - will suggest. I will be buying a metal bottle. I should actually have a separate reusable coffee cup for my halfway house coffee.

As the club owns the shop and stock we may lose some sales of water - and some profit - but we still sell cold drinks at the halfway house.